Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Working In Groups

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That was the worst part of my MBA program! Everything was done in groups. Trying to get 5 working adults to coordinate their schedules was brutal. :grumpy

(sorry... not college age, but still...)

Ironic. these past three days I have been especially meditating on how much I ABHOR group work. Its so asinine. This is not kindergarten. If we don't know how to cooperate and play nice yet, we never will. What this does, is teach people to be dependent. The worst part for me, being an extreme introvert, is the awkwardness of finding a group to begin with. College is such a joke when it comes down to it. All groups do is suppress my work.

I know what you mean. 2 people in my group didn't do any work and they received a high mark (for doing nothing)

It's not fair. Not only that the "lets be nice and fair and let everyone have a turn even if they don't know what they're talking about" mentality brought down my grade.

Then there's the peer pressure. In another class, in lab, on person wanted to get out of class early. She made the entire group copy her (very wrong!) answers. I didn't want to but- peer pressure- and I did it. I did it dragging my feet though. Well, the teacher comes along and all of our answers are wrong and she knew we didn't do it.

Not only that, but I enjoy that class very much and I wanted to learn. I missed out on working with the microscopes and getting to view specimens. And I missed out on understanding the material which will not fair well come quiz time.

I was so upset. I didn't have the courage to stand up to her and say no, and that made me more upset at myself.

I'm only into my 2nd semester and I hate college :mad :grumpy

Come to my school. We can spot each other by auto-grouping. problem solved. :O

Seriously, though. If you have the convenience of having a friend in the same college, and you both need or can take the same course, do it.

I made a Christian friend in one of my classes. That was a plus. Now we study together, but there's no Christian Club or Society at my school. I wish there was.

Those who study together, get A's together!

she would probably find the florida collegiate system a little different that where she lives.

less left leaning.

i'm used to group working its called the army that is how we learn our basic skills. few if any training event isnt a team or more.

she would probably find the florida collegiate system a little different that where she lives.

less left leaning.

i'm used to group working its called the army that is how we learn our basic skills. few if any training event isnt a team or more.

army team work and college group work cannot be equated. army teamwork actually serves a legitimate function. Even working in a group in say, chemistry is legitimate. When I speak of college group work, I speak of the stupidity of giving a presentation of a piece of art in an western civilization history class with 2-3 awkward strangers. group work is absolutely useless 9/10. The army is one such exception.

less left leaning.

there are plenty of Christian societies at the university I want to go to, but there aren't too many societies period at my CC.

And what happens if one of your army bros doesn't do any work, but receives the high grade of those that did? You would beat him or something right? LOL

We can't do that in college we'll get kicked out!

I used too but after a term and a half now doing lab sometimes in pairs or in groups I've realised there is a lot to gain from it. I don't know what you study but working with others to complete an experiment and solve difficult problems also opens your mind to so many things you may not have considered. And it gives time to learn more about your team mates. You won't like everyone and they won't like you but being able to work with those who are not so nice/so helpful/skilful tests your skill. Working with others may important depending on the job you wish to take.

Anyway hold on :)

Ironic. these past three days I have been especially meditating on how much I ABHOR group work. Its so asinine. This is not kindergarten. If we don't know how to cooperate and play nice yet, we never will. What this does, is teach people to be dependent. The worst part for me, being an extreme introvert, is the awkwardness of finding a group to begin with. College is such a joke when it comes down to it. All groups do is suppress my work.

You do realise that there are jobs in research that require the ability not just to "play nice" but to utilise each members skill to make the most of your topic of study? You have to hear new thoughts/ideas and new ways of doing things. You and your team-mates but decide on the best strategies... it is harder than working by yourself but so much more rewarding when it goes well :)Human's are dependent on each other for the most part and we also need to be independent. I am an extreme introvert but I accept the challenge as I only wish to improve myself.

You do realise that there are jobs in research that require the ability not just to "play nice" but to utilise each members skill to make the most of your topic of study? You have to hear new thoughts/ideas and new ways of doing things. You and your team-mates but decide on the best strategies... it is harder than working by yourself but so much more rewarding when it goes well :)Human's are dependent on each other for the most part and we also need to be independent. I am an extreme introvert but I accept the challenge as I only wish to improve myself.

Yes, but that sort of mandate should not be an intrinsic rule for ALL majors. When it comes to group projects in a writing class, or for a speech and so on its a joke. All that happens is I have to diminish what I want to say in adaption of my group members. It is -ever-single-class that requires group work for me. More often than not, groups dont even "work" to their intended conception. its just an awkward, loose affiliation where each person solos his own portion of the assignment rather than work together on the whole thing. I got stuck with some stupid, vague, unimaginative topic for a group speech last semester. It wasn't fun doing it because "they" wanted it. Not that I care, but as the lords says. it brings down my grade too. Groups more or less form based on the providence of where you happen to be sitting. Its a roll of the dice.

there are plenty of Christian societies at the university I want to go to, but there aren't too many societies period at my CC.

And what happens if one of your army bros doesn't do any work, but receives the high grade of those that did? You would beat him or something right? LOL

We can't do that in college we'll get kicked out!

its two things that happens

in combat he alone dies,

he lives other men die.

yes in ncoes that is the case but the army works that way,well i put it this way.
if ssg cranman is in combat and on a mission and is struck a bullet to the head.

i hope that my gunner or driver knows the mission so that they can live and also make it back alive using the team skills of supressive fire and other group skills

i wasnt refering to college per se only that we soldiers work in groups

theres no i in the army but there is a me in team.

Back