Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Works DO Count!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Sure they don't guarantee you a spot in Heaven, but if you're a child of God don't you have to look and act like a child of God? Also that's what I get from these verses here. Matthew 7:21-23. :bible

I think what is important is the reason why you do them. God searches our heart and mind
He knows us better than we know ourselves. Do we do good works out of love? I think that may be the key.

Sure they don't guarantee you a spot in Heaven, but if you're a child of God don't you have to look and act like a child of God? Also that's what I get from these verses here. Matthew 7:21-23. :bible
that is what james is saying faith with out works is dead. our works will be judged by the fire wood hay stubble works of our own will burn up. Gold silver precious stones things we do led by God .they will stand the test of time. there is no amount of limits the works we do. giving a cup of cold water in his name is a work

I have a theory that while works will not get you into Heaven, they are used to meter your reward if you do make it in. Same for Hell if you go the other way; your punishment will depend on the sins you committed while on the earth.

It's more of a theory. I don't know if there is actual Scripture to support this idea.

Yes works matter in that they show you are allowing the Holy Spirit to have control over your sinful nature. You're right that they won't earn you a spot in heaven. And as ezra said our works will be tried by fire (1 Corinthians 3:12-15) and the wood, hay, stubble will be burned up but the gold, silver, precious stones will remain. In other words, like Tessa said, our intentions and the condition of our heart matters.

I don't think God owes us anything - heaven, hell, rewards or punishment. That makes him sound too much like Santa with a naughty or nice list. I've always seen it as binary - either you've chosen Christ or you haven't.
The rest is how you use what he's given you to spread the word and represent him. Really we're like ambassadors for Christ.

I have a theory that while works will not get you into Heaven, they are used to meter your reward if you do make it in.

And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42 NKJV

He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ Matthew 25:22-23 NKJV

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

To break this down in simplicity faith without works is dead faith as even the devils believe on the name of Jesus, but have no faith or good works. It's by faith that we do good deeds that are pleasing to the father as works by faith brings glory and honor unto the Lord.

I'm a great believer in 'K.I.S.S.'
Jesus said 'If you Love me you will obey my commands.'
So rather than worrying about am I doing enough to show I have faith, I am concerned about do I love/obey Jesus.

I'm a great believer in 'K.I.S.S.'
Jesus said 'If you Love me you will obey my commands.'
So rather than worrying about am I doing enough to show I have faith, I am concerned about do I love/obey Jesus.

:agreed but what do the letters stand for?

KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY --I USE STUPID IN REFERENCE TO ME WHEN I SPEAK , one of the problems we have we over educate the Bible jesus used parables for ordinary people to understand

I have a theory that while works will not get you into Heaven, they are used to meter your reward if you do make it in. Same for Hell if you go the other way; your punishment will depend on the sins you committed while on the earth.

It's more of a theory. I don't know if there is actual Scripture to support this idea.

CROWNS/REWARDS - Greek: (misthos) pay for service, good or bad have power, to separate from others, worthy

We are called of God to be partakers in Christ sharing in his ministry here on earth if we heed his calling. Our service is unto the Lord for the purpose that brings glory and honor to his name when a lost soul comes back to Gods grace. This is not done without rewards as our rewards are Spiritual laid up in heaven until we come to be with the Lord forever, but there are also rewards for those that are not of God, but of a Pharisee spirit and their reward will be eternal separation from God and their reward of damnation when Jesus returns and separates the wheat from the tares or the sheep from the goats.

There are five crowns (not literal crowns) we can obtain here on earth for the accomplishments of service we do unto the Lord. When our race here on earth is done and our time is over we will have the privilege of laying these crowns down before the feet of Jesus to honor him and to hear those words of grace that says “well done thou good and faithful servant”.
(Hebrews 12:1; 1 Corinthians 9:24; Matthew 25:21)

1. CROWN OF LIFE
Martyr's crown is the crown of life given to those who have endured all temptations, trials and tribulations here on earth and have never taken no thought of their own lives, but remained steadfast in the word of God living their lives in total surrender to Jesus.
(James 1:12; Revelation 2:10)

2. CROWN OF GLORY
Elder or Pastor Crown is given to those who hold the office of leadership over the members that make up the body of Christ. It is their leadership through the Holy Spirit that helps to teach us about God through his word. Theirs is the greatest judgment for what proceeds out of their mouth.
(1Peter 5:1-5)

3. CROWN OF REJOICING
A crown of rejoicing is a soul winner’s crown. When we accept Gods commission to take his word out into the world through the power of the Holy Spirit working through us we all rejoice when one lost soul comes back to Gods grace. It’s like the story of the Shepard that had a flock of sheep and one of them strayed away. Even though he loved all his flock he rejoiced more for the lost one he found as now his whole flock was again all together. Imagine the rejoicing if all Gods lost children were found and brought back to Gods grace. What a day of rejoicing that would be. We rejoice in the goodness of God for all the blessings he pours out on us as he is faithful with his promises.
(1Thessalonians 2:19, 20; Phillipians 4:1; Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 18:11-13) for what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

4. CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
A crown for those who love his appearing and will be given in that day to the Lord as a bride to a groom. We will see God in all his glory and his righteousness which is our strength when Jesus returns in the clouds to catch us up to meet him in the air and to be with the Lord forever. Gods’ righteousness is perfect in all his judgment on his people. With Gods righteousness we are perfected as we go through the refiner’s fire to be made pure and holy before his throne of grace. It doesn’t matter how we ourselves try to be righteous we can never be so on our own ability because our own righteousness is as a filthy rag before the Lord because we are all sinners, but those who have been Spiritually reborn or renewed of Gods Spirit to them they have been made righteous before the Father.
(2Timothy 4:8; Isaiah 45:24; Colossians 3:1-4)

5. CROWN INCORRUPTIBLE
An incorruptible crown is a victor’s crown to those who have died to self and are subject to the guidance of the Holy Spirit leading them in all their ways and teach with the knowledge that only comes by the Holy Spirit who will teach us all things and bring those things back to our remembrance. None of us are perfect in our own ways, but are perfected by the Holy Spirit working in us and through us.

There are many out there walking around in sheep’s clothing, but are only ravenous wolves as they devour those without knowledge of Gods word as they are puffed up and edify themselves by teaching a corruptible word of God through a carnal traditional doctrine that not only puts condemnation on those they teach, but also on themselves as they have no knowledge of the truth of Gods word and are only acting on their own behalf as they have not Gods Spirit in them and on that day of judgment they will hear Jesus say that he never knew them.

We strive for an incorruptible crown that allows us to have more of Jesus and less of ourselves to be able to let the light of Christ shine through us before others so they will see the righteousness of God displayed through us that will draw others to his glorious light so their corruption can be made incorruptible and also become pleasing to the father in all they do and say.
(1Corinthians 9:25-27; 1 John 2:28, 29; Revelation 4:10, 11)

CROWNS/REWARDS - Greek: (misthos) pay for service, good or bad have power, to separate from others, worthy

We are called of God to be partakers in Christ sharing in his ministry here on earth if we heed his calling. Our service is unto the Lord for the purpose that brings glory and honor to his name when a lost soul comes back to Gods grace. This is not done without rewards as our rewards are Spiritual laid up in heaven until we come to be with the Lord forever, but there are also rewards for those that are not of God, but of a Pharisee spirit and their reward will be eternal separation from God and their reward of damnation when Jesus returns and separates the wheat from the tares or the sheep from the goats.
One thing that I seem to notice is how we speak of rewards as something that we obtain through our own efforts. I'm not so sure this is the correct way to look at it, especially when it comes to God. God said He would have mercy on whom he will have mercy.

I think we need to be careful that we are not doing good works in order to obtain or earn a particular standing or reward but rather and only for God to be glorified by them.

One thing that I seem to notice is how we speak of rewards as something that we obtain through our own efforts.
if they are of our own they are wood hay stubble will not stand the flames .if they are of God works gold silver precious stone they will stand the test..come forth like Gold

I think we need to be careful that we are not doing good works in order to obtain or earn a particular standing or reward but rather and only for God to be glorified by them.
agreed

One thing that I seem to notice is how we speak of rewards as something that we obtain through our own efforts. I'm not so sure this is the correct way to look at it, especially when it comes to God. God said He would have mercy on whom he will have mercy.

When you think about it, it's not even our works, but the continued works of the Lord as every good thing we do comes by Him and through Him as we are to be God's vessels that bring glory and praise to His name.

Reactions: WIP
Matthew 6:3 NKJ

"Bit when you do a charitable deed do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."
If we were that busy with works we wouldn't think about rewards. It's all part of loving God and giving Him the glory that belongs to Him. We are the vessels that God works through.

Matthew 6:3 NKJ

"Bit when you do a charitable deed do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."
If we were that busy with works we wouldn't think about rewards. It's all part of loving God and giving Him the glory that belongs to Him. We are the vessels that God works through.

:amen

Back