Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study “Ephphatha” Mark 7:34

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
“Ephphatha” Mark 7:34

(edited)

A deep groan emerged from the profundity of His heart, looking up to the heavens…, Jesus Christ exhorts to a deaf-mute man, “Ephphatha!!!” “Open up!!” Christian theologians try to understand the extent of pain; Jesus Christ endured in that groan. Many say, it was comparable with the sufferings he had at the Mount of Olives. Other school of thought teaches that Jesus Christ was not merely shouting at the deaf-mute in-person, but to wholesome of his followers. Aren’t we the deaf-mute, Jesus Christ shouting to? Aren’t we deaf to hear what we have to hear, the cry of needy and sufferings around us? Aren’t we blind, when we have to see the injustice around us? Aren’t we mute, when we have to speak against the odds, away from our comfort zones? It is to us Jesus Christ outcry 'we played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.'

The man who had the deafness and mute was able to hear and began to talk without any trouble when he heard the voice of Jesus Christ (Mark 7:35). The voice in the mouth of mute and sound in the ears of deaf!. This is what Jesus Christ also expect from each one of us in-person or in a fellowship. If we are deaf and mute, He urges us to break the emptiness of silence and inertia of non-responsiveness. More than an urge, it is moan from His heart. He doesn’t call us to live and die as name-sake Christians, but to fulfill a Christian life with a Christ-living heart and burning fire of Holy Spirit inside. A life of spiritual extension of our faith… It is the only solution for the problems we face today in the world around us. The root cause of corruption, inequality and invalidism prevails in the society is this lack of responsive and responsible citizens to raise voice against the current evil system. We, as Christians should have the self believe that we can change this society. We have amongst us a companion who ‘does everything well and can cause the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak!’ (Mark 7:37).

Last edited by a moderator:
You my new friend have just posted a wonderful exhortation to us. I agree with everything you have so boldly presented. So I come along beside you in agreement.

In response to your post, I would like to add a Scripture that I absolute love and have tried to live my life with this as a guide.

Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.
Isa 58:9 Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

The Nation of Israel, like the churches of today, were concentrating on their own well being and not those around them. They were living for pleasure, as does the church of today. They were fasting, oh yes were they fasting! They thought that YHWH would be impressed with their efforts. The problem with their fasting was, God refused to respond. Their lives were a pathetic attempt to enter into a place where the Almighty would respond to what their needs were. God says in Vs.2 of the same chapter, "Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God." Ha, I say, all to no avail.

Again, I liked your post, and receive your admonition. Praise our LORD for His goodness.

God gives us spiritual ears to hear and spiritual eyes to see, but it's up to us to open them and hear what the Spirit of God is speaking to us, see the moving of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us and open our mouths as a witness to His mercy and grace.

“Ephphatha” Mark 7:34
The root cause of corruption, inequality and invalidism prevails in the society is this lack of responsive and responsible citizens to raise voice against the current evil system. We, as Christians should have the self believe that we can change this society. We have amongst us a companion who ‘does everything well and can cause the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak!’ (Mark 7:37).

Please give your thoughts about how we are to change the "current evil system."
Please give the scripture that supports your belief.
Thank you.

We can't change the evil that is in the world, but we do need to get out of our comfort zones and let God out of the box that many keep Him in and only let Him out on Sunday mornings for what, about an hour and maybe during the week in an evening service. We are to be the light of Christ to the world, but many hide that light under a bushel.

We can't change the evil that is in the world, but we do need to get out of our comfort zones and let God out of the box that many keep Him in and only let Him out on Sunday mornings for what, about an hour and maybe during the week in an evening service. We are to be the light of Christ to the world, but many hide that light under a bushel.

I think you are correct. If we don't do what we are called to do then we are not letting God use us to advance His kingdom. God uses His people. There's a scripture about that where one of the apostles says something like, how can they hear if no one tells them.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

There are so many isolated places that have never heard the gospel being taught, but praise be to God for those faithful servants that seek out those isolated people. I work with a ministry in India and they have found many isolated villages that have now heard and have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, but it's not always easy to find these villages and also to gain their trust of outsiders and some do get injured and some are killed for the witness of Christ, but yet the word goes forth and we can only pray it falls on ears that will hear.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

There are so many isolated places that have never heard the gospel being taught, but praise be to God for those faithful servants that seek out those isolated people. I work with a ministry in India and they have found many isolated villages that have now heard and have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, but it's not always easy to find these villages and also to gain their trust of outsiders and some do get injured and some are killed for the witness of Christ, but yet the word goes forth and we can only pray it falls on ears that will hear.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
David Wilkerson took that message to the gangs in New York city. His life was threatened. There are many people who will not go to undesirable places right here in our country. I never heard the gospel message until I was 25 and I lived in a very nice area with many church goers. :shrug

Yep, how can they know if they have not heard. Why do we fear that which can kill the body, but take no thought of the very one who can destroy both body and soul in hell.

Back