Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

“Touched With Humanity”

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

netchaplain

“For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are” (Heb 4:15).

Would not the “feeling” of the “infirmity” of being forsaken by His Father be the greatest among the sufferings which our Lord Jesus chose to endure? The Creator could not have related more to us than in the partaking of becoming the incarnate Word (Jhn 1:14), taking on our human infirmities, but not our human nature, for His is divine!

Another clear significant manifestation of His humanity is seen in “the cup” (Mat 26:39, 42), which contained the sufferings and death He was presently about to enter. There were other evidences manifesting the humanity of Christ, such as His weeping at the death of Lazarus, and just noting, was not for him, because He knew He was about to raise him. His sadness was over the Jews that were with them (Jhn 11:19, 31, 33, 37, 38), who He knew would not believe, even after seeing the miracle (Jhn 11:46 – but “many believed” – v 45).

Much has been said about the theory of God’s abandonment of His Son while on the Cross, but I think it lacks Scriptural support for the concept. The purpose of this article is to support the truth that God never abandons His own—especially His “own” Son, who knew prior to the sacrifice of His covenant with the Father, that He would resurrect Him after suffering and dying for the sins of those becoming reborn (Heb 13:20, 21).

The abandonment theory is based on the concept that God could not look on His Son with all the sin in the world on Him. Scripture demonstrates that God’s “face” is against sinners, but this is not so that He would not see their sin, but so they cannot see or sense Him; which in my opinion is to denote distaste and disapproval for the purpose that they might of seek His face.

Some of the basis for this is the misunderstanding of passages like, “Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity (Hab 1:13). Here, the terms “behold” and “look” are hyperbolic expressions (which are often used in Scripture) that God does not regard or accept their persons. Another prime passage is, “the face of the Lord is against them that do evil” (Psa 34:16; 1Pe 3:12). It’s not as though God cannot endure seeing all the evil, as if He would be somehow alarmed concerning it (not necessarily in order - Pro 5:21; 15:3; Job 34:21, 22; Jer 16:17; Isa 59:2; Deu 31:18; 32:20; Eze 39:23, and a multitude of other like passages).

The Father Himself could have become incarnate to be the sacrifice, but in His desire to relate His love to us in the highest manner, He sent the far greater sacrifice of His Son!

NC

Much has been said about the theory of God’s abandonment of His Son while on the Cross, but I think it lacks Scriptural support for the concept.
The Scriptural support is found in Psalm 22:1, which literally asks the question "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" [ לָמָ֣ה (la·mah) עֲזַבְתָּ֑נִי (a·zav·ta·ni or azabtani, which is sabachthani in Aramaic as transliterated in the New Testament)]
Strong's Concordance

azab: to leave, forsake, loose
Transliteration: azab
Definition: to leave, forsake, loose
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. root
Definition
to leave, forsake, loose

NASB Translation

abandon (3), abandoned (11), abandons (1), commits (1), deserted (1), failed (1), fails (1), forsake (48), forsaken (56), forsakes (2), forsaking (1), forsook (16), free (5), full* (1), give...vent (1), ignores (1), leave (26), leave them undone (1), leave your behind (1), leaves (2), leaving (1), left (22), left me behind (1), left the behind (1), left behind (1), let it go (1), neglect (2), stopped (1), surely release (1), withdrawn (1).

While we may not fully understand this, the meaning itself is crystal clear -- the Father forsook the Son during those three dark hours on the cross, since Christ (who knew no sin) was made SIN for us.

The Scriptural support is found in Psalm 22:1, which literally asks the question "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

While we may not fully understand this, the meaning itself is crystal clear -- the Father forsook the Son during those three dark hours on the cross, since Christ (who knew no sin) was made SIN for us.
I believe it was just showing how much of our humanity (infirmities) He partook of with us. This is clear to me when considering Jesus knew it was part of the "New Covenant in is Blood" that He made with the Father for us (Heb 13:20, 21). If it was actually because the Father forsook Him, it would conflict with Jhn 8:29, and a multitude of other passage which confirm They are always One (Jhn 10:30 - always together in omnipresence).

Appreciate your reply and comments!

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

Genesis 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Both these verses above shows that God did not forske Christ while He hung on the cross, but that it grieved him at His heart that the world became so sinful that He had to give His only begotten Son to be the final blood sacrifice that through Him and those who come to Him can have eternal life with the Father, John 3:16. This was God's divine plan in the beginning, even before the foundation of the world.

Psalm 22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Psalm 22:24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

God never forsook Jesus as deity can not be separated. Comparing the above verses in Psalms and Matthew Jesus was declaring to His accusers as He hung on the cross that they were in the midst of fulfilling Psalms 22. The psalmist himself understood that the forsaking of God was not abandonment, but a lifting of His Sovereign protection according to His divine plan so the threats of His enemies could be carried out in prophecy. There were many times during Jesus ministry that the enemy wanted to kill Him, but they couldn't as His time had not yet come from above, John 7:30

2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 1:19 Jesus, a lamb without spot or blemish. God made Jesus to be sin for us who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.

Both these verses above shows that God did not forsake Christ while He hung on the cross...
Regardless of any other Scriptures Psalm 22:1 is very clear, and was quoted precisely by Christ as He hung on that cross (and is repeated in Matthew and Mark). So if we claim that Jesus was not forsaken by the Father, we make Him a liar.

Psalm 22 was written approximately 1,000 years before the crucifixion, yet portrays what happened at the cross exactly as it happened. That is divine revelation and divine foreknowledge.

Regardless of any other Scriptures

How can you disregard the full context of Psalms 22 plus all the other scriptures that are a cross reference to why David felt like God forsook him. David was crying out in his anguish just as Christ cried out in His anguish.

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

Genesis 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Both these verses above shows that God did not forske Christ while He hung on the cross, but that it grieved him at His heart that the world became so sinful that He had to give His only begotten Son to be the final blood sacrifice that through Him and those who come to Him can have eternal life with the Father, John 3:16. This was God's divine plan in the beginning, even before the foundation of the world.

Psalm 22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Psalm 22:24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

God never forsook Jesus as deity can not be separated. Comparing the above verses in Psalms and Matthew Jesus was declaring to His accusers as He hung on the cross that they were in the midst of fulfilling Psalms 22. The psalmist himself understood that the forsaking of God was not abandonment, but a lifting of His Sovereign protection according to His divine plan so the threats of His enemies could be carried out in prophecy. There were many times during Jesus ministry that the enemy wanted to kill Him, but they couldn't as His time had not yet come from above, John 7:30

2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 1:19 Jesus, a lamb without spot or blemish. God made Jesus to be sin for us who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
I like all your comments and appreciate your labor in Christ working on CFM! I also find it instructional and encouraging to know that God foreknows from eternity past ("from everlasting") everything He does and encounters, e.g. how He going to feel, etc.

How can you disregard the full context of Psalms 22 plus all the other scriptures that are a cross reference to why David felt like God forsook him. David was crying out in his anguish just as Christ cried out in His anguish.
You are the one who is denying that Christ was forsaken by the Father on the cross, even though He said that He was! That is the context of Psalm 22, which is NOT about David, but about Christ. David was simply speaking the words of Christ prophetically and describing His agony and the events at the cross. It is a Messianic Psalm.

Christians do not have the liberty to make up their own theology. If Jesus said that He was forsaken (asking that question in His agony and anguish) then we need to simply believe it, meditate on it, and ponder what it meant for both the Father and the Son to have this happen. No one saw the anguish of Christ for three dark hours other than the Father and the Holy Spirit.

I especially like what Albert Barnes commented here:

Eli, Eli ... - This language is not pure Hebrew nor Syriac, but a mixture of both, called commonly "Syro-Chaldaic." This was probably the language which the Saviour commonly spoke. The words are taken from Psalm 22:1.

My God, my God ... - This expression is one denoting intense suffering. It has been difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was "forsaken by God." It is certain that God approved his work. It is certain that he was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As his own Son - holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient - God still loved him. In either of these senses God could not have forsaken him. But the expression was probably used in reference to the following circumstances, namely:

1. His great bodily sufferings on the cross, greatly aggravated by his previous scourging, and by the want of sympathy, and by the revilings of his enemies on the cross. A person suffering thus might address God as if he was forsaken, or given up to extreme anguish.

2. He himself said that this was "the power of darkness," Luke 22:53. It was the time when his enemies, including the Jews and Satan, were suffered to do their utmost. It was said of the serpent that he should bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, Genesis 3:15. By that has been commonly understood to be meant that, though the Messiah would finally crush and destroy the power of Satan, yet he should himself suffer "through the power of the devil." When he was tempted Luke 4, it was said that the tempter "departed from him for a season." There is no improbability in supposing that he might be permitted to return at the time of his death, and exercise his power in increasing the sufferings of the Lord Jesus. In what way this might be done can be only conjectured. It might be by horrid thoughts; by temptation to despair, or to distrust God, who thus permitted his innocent Son to suffer; or by an increased horror of the pains of dying.

3. There might have been withheld from the Saviour those strong religious consolations, those clear views of the justice and goodness of God, which would have blunted his pains and soothed his agonies. Martyrs, under the influence of strong religious feeling, have gone triumphantly to the stake, but it is possible that those views might have been withheld from the Redeemer when he came to die. His sufferings were accumulated sufferings, and the design of the atonement seemed to require that he should suffer all that human nature "could be made to endure" in so short a time.

4. Yet we have reason to think that there was still something more than all this that produced this exclamation. Had there been no deeper and more awful sufferings, it would be difficult to see why Jesus should have shrunk from these sorrows and used such a remarkable expression. Isaiah tells us Isaiah 53:4-5 that "he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows; that he was wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities; that the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him; that by his stripes we are healed." He hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us Galatians 3:13; he was made a sin-offering 2 Corinthians 5:21; he died in our place, on our account, that he might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, which caused his intense sufferings. It was the manifestation of God's hatred of sin, in some way which he has not explained, that he experienced in that dread hour. It was suffering endured by Him that was due to us, and suffering by which, and by which alone, we can be saved from eternal death."

I especially like what Albert Barnes commented here:

Eli, Eli ... - This language is not pure Hebrew nor Syriac, but a mixture of both, called commonly "Syro-Chaldaic." This was probably the language which the Saviour commonly spoke. The words are taken from Psalm 22:1.

My God, my God ... - This expression is one denoting intense suffering. It has been difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was "forsaken by God." It is certain that God approved his work. It is certain that he was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As his own Son - holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient - God still loved him. In either of these senses God could not have forsaken him. But the expression was probably used in reference to the following circumstances, namely:

1. His great bodily sufferings on the cross, greatly aggravated by his previous scourging, and by the want of sympathy, and by the revilings of his enemies on the cross. A person suffering thus might address God as if he was forsaken, or given up to extreme anguish.

2. He himself said that this was "the power of darkness," Luke 22:53. It was the time when his enemies, including the Jews and Satan, were suffered to do their utmost. It was said of the serpent that he should bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, Genesis 3:15. By that has been commonly understood to be meant that, though the Messiah would finally crush and destroy the power of Satan, yet he should himself suffer "through the power of the devil." When he was tempted Luke 4, it was said that the tempter "departed from him for a season." There is no improbability in supposing that he might be permitted to return at the time of his death, and exercise his power in increasing the sufferings of the Lord Jesus. In what way this might be done can be only conjectured. It might be by horrid thoughts; by temptation to despair, or to distrust God, who thus permitted his innocent Son to suffer; or by an increased horror of the pains of dying.

3. There might have been withheld from the Saviour those strong religious consolations, those clear views of the justice and goodness of God, which would have blunted his pains and soothed his agonies. Martyrs, under the influence of strong religious feeling, have gone triumphantly to the stake, but it is possible that those views might have been withheld from the Redeemer when he came to die. His sufferings were accumulated sufferings, and the design of the atonement seemed to require that he should suffer all that human nature "could be made to endure" in so short a time.

4. Yet we have reason to think that there was still something more than all this that produced this exclamation. Had there been no deeper and more awful sufferings, it would be difficult to see why Jesus should have shrunk from these sorrows and used such a remarkable expression. Isaiah tells us Isaiah 53:4-5 that "he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows; that he was wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities; that the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him; that by his stripes we are healed." He hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us Galatians 3:13; he was made a sin-offering 2 Corinthians 5:21; he died in our place, on our account, that he might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, which caused his intense sufferings. It was the manifestation of God's hatred of sin, in some way which he has not explained, that he experienced in that dread hour. It was suffering endured by Him that was due to us, and suffering by which, and by which alone, we can be saved from eternal death."

Like I said earlier that Diety can not be separated (forsaken) from one another. Jesus knew God did not forsake Him, but probably sure felt like it in all His anguish when He spoke those words.

You are the one who is denying that Christ was forsaken by the Father on the cross, even though He said that He was! That is the context of Psalm 22, which is NOT about David, but about Christ. David was simply speaking the words of Christ prophetically and describing His agony and the events at the cross. It is a Messianic Psalm.

Christians do not have the liberty to make up their own theology. If Jesus said that He was forsaken (asking that question in His agony and anguish) then we need to simply believe it, meditate on it, and ponder what it meant for both the Father and the Son to have this happen. No one saw the anguish of Christ for three dark hours other than the Father and the Holy Spirit.

I'm not making up my own theology as Jesus was not forsaken on the cross as Deity can not separate itself plus this was God's plan of salvation through His Son Jesus before the foundation of the world. Jesus is the fulfillment of God's salvation through His grace to all who will believe and accept Him as Lord and Savior.

Back