Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

10 Commandments in Hebrew?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Seeker

Hi all,

I do not read Hebrew (yet!) but I would like to memorise the Ten Commandments in their original language as God gave them to Moses.

Could anyone help me get hold of a transliteration as well as an audio reading (I found "singing" of them on YouTube but it's not helpful)?

Hi all,

I do not read Hebrew (yet!) but I would like to memorise the Ten Commandments in their original language as God gave them to Moses.

Could anyone help me get hold of a transliteration as well as an audio reading (I found "singing" of them on YouTube but it's not helpful)?

Hey Seeker I dont read or write it that well, takes me forever to type it using my ipad app too. So you are just getting the first one and for petes sake look into it to be sure. :study

The first one אנכי יהוה אלהיך אשר הוצאתיך מארץ מצרים מבית עבדים

Im pretty sure it should be transliterated from, right to left, as ".maaretz mitzrayim mabeit avadim hotzeitikha asher eloheykha yehovah anokhi <---

The translation we all know very well. "I am Yehovah you God who brought you out of the house of bondage from the land of Egypt."

Interesting thing here Seeker is that "I am YHVH your God" for me at least drives home the idea that there is only one God who is the only Judge and Master. The word anokhi (I) is used instead of the more common word ani, it impresses upon me the uniqueness of God. Eloheykha (your God) is in the second person singular, rather than a plural. We are then I believe, compelled to recognize that the God who created us is unique, without rival, entirely sovereign. There are no mediators in this encounter the soul stands before God alone.

But unlike mystery babylon which says we need a mediator I on the other hand believe Yehovah is near to those who call upon HIS name. Why do I believe this? Because He said so thats why! :)

קרוב יהוה לכל-קראיו לכל אשר יקראהו באמת

Yehovah is near to all those who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth.

Peace to you Seeker!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Seeker I dont read or write it that well, takes me forever to type it using my ipad app too. So you are just getting the first one and for petes sake look into it to be sure. :study

The first one אנכי יהוה אלהיך אשר הוצאתיך מארץ מצרים מבית עבדים

Im pretty sure it should be transliterated from, right to left, as ".maaretz mitzrayim mabeit avadim hotzeitikha asher eloheykha yehovah anokhi <---

The translation we all know very well. "I am Yehovah you God who brought you out of the house of bondage from the land of Egypt."

Interesting thing here Seeker is that "I am YHVH your God" for me at least drives home the idea that there is only one God who is the only Judge and Master. The word anokhi (I) is used instead of the more common word ani, it impresses upon me the uniqueness of God. Eloheykha (your God) is in the second person singular, rather than a plural. We are then I believe, compelled to recognize that the God who created us is unique, without rival, entirely sovereign. There are no mediators in this encounter the soul stands before God alone.

But unlike mystery babylon which says we need a mediator I on the other hand believe Yehovah is near to those who call upon HIS name. Why do I believe this? Because He said so thats why! :)

קרוב יהוה לכל-קראיו לכל אשר יקראהו באמת

Yehovah is near to all those who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth.

Peace to you Seeker!

Fascinating stuff. Actually, I'm surprised how much of it I understood (once transliterated) especially in terms of the grammar due to my study of Arabic. They truly are sister languages.

Just a question on the YHVH - I've read a little on the history of this name; is the most common pronunciation as you have written, Yehovah? Two questions regarding that - is the "V" acceptably pronounced as a "W", and are these the most recognised vowels? (Some non-Semitic peoples suffer from something I call the J-sickness; they add J's where there are none! Yehovah-->Jehovah, Yacob-->Jacob, Yoseph-->Joseph!)

Oh and one more thing: I've heard a Christian scholar pronounce the H in Elohim with a slightly "kh" sound - is that correct?

And upon you be peace!

Fascinating stuff. Actually, I'm surprised how much of it I understood (once transliterated) especially in terms of the grammar due to my study of Arabic. They truly are sister languages.

Just a question on the YHVH - I've read a little on the history of this name; is the most common pronunciation as you have written, Yehovah? Two questions regarding that - is the "V" acceptably pronounced as a "W", and are these the most recognised vowels? (Some non-Semitic peoples suffer from something I call the J-sickness; they add J's where there are none! Yehovah-->Jehovah, Yacob-->Jacob, Yoseph-->Joseph!)

Oh and one more thing: I've heard a Christian scholar pronounce the H in Elohim with a slightly "kh" sound - is that correct?

And upon you be peace!

Hey Seeker,

To mybknowledge the Leningrad and Aleppo codex have preserved the vowel pointing of the name of YHVH. And with much help from others and my own study I understand it to be pronounced as Yehovah. However am I to be so dogmatic as to say you must believe this or burn in hell with the jews? No. I can only tell you I am content with that pronouncation. If you went with another such Yaweh or Yehvah or even if you had the flu and pronounced it with a J Im certain we could agree as to whom we are speaking of. :)

Regarding Elohim I am not a christian scholar but Im pretty sure its pronounced as 'eloheem'.

Peace

(edit)

I do find it interesting that after centuries of His name being hidden for so long by the rabbis, imans and pastors. I think there is a resurgence of people seeking and studying it speaking it openly again, myself included, as I never did before.

I know it is a blessing to pronounce His name. ... in all places where I (YHVH) cause my name to be pronounced I will come to you, and I will bless you.

Makes me cry tears of joy knowing that.

May Yehovah bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I thought the "H" should be pronounced as a "H" and not a "Kh" too. With regards to the YHWH, I personally favour the pronunciation as Yahwah or Yahuwah for no other reason that because in Hebrew it has a meaning: "O He who exists!"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back