Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

25 quotes on Calvinism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Iconoclast

Found this on the G3 website...which ones do you like best?

25 Quotes on Calvinism

JOSH BUICE

When it comes to the study of salvation, there are two main ways of viewing the doctrine of soteriology. It would be safe to say that the prominent view elevates the free will of man within evangelical circles. The less popular view elevates the sovereignty of God and rejects the idea that man is free. The Arminian position, which is the most common position, rejects the divine decree of God in electing some people to salvation through Jesus Christ. In the Arminian position, man is ultimately free to choose or reject God.
The Calvinistic position emphasizes the sovereignty of God in saving sinners (see Ephesians 1-2; John 1:12-13). In this system of thought, God’s sovereign grace is necessary due to the total depravity of man who is completely incapable of choosing God nor does he have any desire for God apart from sovereign grace.
Years ago I found myself very discouraged over the debate between Arminianism and Calvinism. I talked to my pastor and he provided some good resources for me to read. One of those books was A Journey in Grace, by Richard Belcher. To this day, I am grateful for the recommendation and gentleness in which my pastor displayed in pointing me in the direction of the doctrines of grace.
As time would progress, I would spend many hours studying these issues as I attempted to establish my position in this historic debate. Through the years, I read many passionate voices that would seek to demonize the opposing side of the theological fence in blog articles, seminary lectures, and conference sermons. Ultimately, I would come to embrace the Calvinistic position. At first, I considered myself to be a 4-point Calvinist. That would later change as I continued to read and study the Scriptures.
The final piece of the puzzle for me was Limited Atonement. Several voices, including my pastor who was a 5-point Calvinist, William Carey a missionary from church history, and Charles Spurgeon (arguably “the Prince of Preachers”) would all be used to persuade me to embrace the doctrines of grace. However, it was in my study of John 3:16 that I became completely convinced of limited atonement.
My journey may be different than yours, but needless to say this debate is one that is often fueled by more heat than light which is unfortunate. When I’m asked about this doctrine, I encourage believers to read extensively and pray earnestly through this study. I’ve compiled some helpful quotes on the doctrine of salvation. I trust that these quotes will be a means of encouraging you and challenging you as you engage in this historic study on the doctrines of grace—otherwise known as Calvinism.

1. John Calvin

“We call predestination God’s eternal decree, by which He compacted with Himself what He willed to become of each man. For all are not created in equal condition; rather, eternal life is foreordained for some, eternal damnation for others.” 1

2. John Knox

“God has predestinated some to life, and others to destruction.” 2

3. Charles Spurgeon

“There is a prevalent opinion that says that Calvinism should be, if it is discussed at all, reserved for more mature Christians, not taught to new converts, and certainly never ever preached to the unbelievers in an evangelistic message. This is one result of the idea that Calvinism is somehow incompatible with evangelism. From the several sermons quoted, it is obvious that Spurgeon did not believe that Calvinism should be hidden from the unconverted nor the new believer. Why? Because Calvinism is the Gospel:
There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called . . . , after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.” 3

4. William Carey

“The doctrines of God’s sovereign grace do not interfere with the responsibility of man nor destroy the freedom of his will.” 4

5. John Knox

“Predestination we call the eternal decree of God, by which He has determined in Himself what He would have to become of every individual of mankind.” 5

6. Paul Washer

“The proof or validation of genuine conversion is that the one who professes faith in Christ perseveres in that faith and grows in sanctification throughout the full course of his life. If a person professes faith in Christ and yet falls away or makes no progress in godliness, it does not mean that he has lost his salvation. It reveals that he was never truly converted..” 6

7. John MacArthur

“Scripture speaks with absolute, unmistakable clarity on these vital issues: (1) Sinners are utterly helpless to redeem themselves or to contribute anything meritorious toward their own salvation (Rom 8:7-8). (2) God is sovereign in the exercise of His saving Will (Eph 1:4-5). (3) Christ died as a substitute who bore the full weight of God’s wrath on behalf of His people, and his atoning work is efficacious for their salvation (Isa. 53:5). (4) God’s saving purpose cannot be thwarted (John 6:37), meaning none of Christ’s true sheep will ever be lost (John 10:27-29). That is because (5) God assures the perseverance of His elect (Jude 24; Phil 1:6; 1 Peter 1:5).” 7

8. Voddie Baucham

“Being born again is not a work of man. Being born again is not a work of the flesh. And being born again, by the way, precedes our faith.” 8

9. Steven Lawson

“Calvinism is the biblical understanding of the plan of salvation.” 9

10. Joel Beeke

“Calvinism is a system of theology that honors God and His Word by giving Him all the credit for man’s salvation from beginning to end.”10

11. Sinclair Ferguson

“Calvinism is not a dry theological system, but a powerful and practical way of understanding the Christian life.”11

12. A.W. Pink

“When the solemn and blessed subject of Divine foreordination is expounded, when God’s eternal choice of certain ones to be conformed to the image of His Son is set forth, the Enemy sends along some man to argue that election is based upon the foreknowledge of God, and this “foreknowledge” is interpreted to mean that God foresaw certain ones would be more pliable than others, that they would respond more readily to the strivings of the Spirit, and that because God knew they would believe, He, accordingly, predestinated them unto salvation. But such a statement is radically wrong. It repudiates the truth of total depravity, for it argues that there is something good in some men It takes away the independency of God, for it makes His decrees rest upon what He discovers in the creature It completely turns things upside down, for in saying God foresaw certain sinners would believe in Christ, and that because of this, He predestinated them unto salvation, is the very reverse of the truth. Scripture affirms that God, in His high sovereignty, singled out certain ones to be recipients of His distinguishing favors (Acts 13:48), and therefore He determined to bestow upon them the gift of faith. False theology makes God’s foreknowledge of our believing the cause of His election to salvation; whereas, God’s election is the cause, and our believing in Christ is the effect.”12

13. Thomas Watson

“God’s decrees are the very foundation of free-will; for He decreed what man’s will should be.”13

14. Isaac Watts

“Salvation is all of grace, and that grace is sovereign, discriminating, and distinguishing.” 14

15. John Bunyan

“The doctrine of predestination and the doctrine of free will are not contrary to one another, but are perfectly consistent.”15

16. John Newton

“The doctrine of election is a very humbling truth, but it is a very sweet one to those who have been made to taste that the Lord is gracious.”16

17. Martin Luther

“God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly.”17

18. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“Calvinism is the only system of theology that is truly biblical.” 18

19. George Whitefield

It was Charles Spurgeon who once quoted the great evangelist George Whitefield. He said, “George Whitfield said, ‘We are all born Arminians.’ It is grace that turns us into Calvinists.”19

20. William Perkins

“Predestination is God’s eternal decree, by which he did foreordain two things: First, to glorify himself in some men, as in the vessels of mercy; secondly, to show his justice in others, as in the vessels of wrath.” 20

21. John Flavel

“God hath foreordained whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creature; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”21

22. Jonathan Edwards

“God decrees all things that come to pass, so that there is a necessary connection between the decree and the event decreed; God decrees things in such a manner, that He is the sovereign Disposer and Orderer of all events; but yet so that the contingency of events remains; and that there is a real liberty of second causes. God decrees the manner of events, the time, place, and circumstances; but yet so that the events themselves are contingent, and free actions are not necessitated by anything going before, either in God or the creature.”22

23. John Owen

“The Arminians hold that Christ died equally and indifferently for all men. We affirm that Christ died for all and only the elect. If He died for all, and yet all are not saved, then His death is not efficacious. But if He died for the elect, then His death is effectual for their salvation.”23

24. Richard Belcher

“There would never be a situation where one of the elect would not want to be saved, for the regenerating power of God will grant sight, desire, power and enablement to the elect in the work of salvation.”24

25. R.C. Sproul

“If God’s sovereignty is restricted by man’s freedom, then God is not sovereign; man is sovereign.”25

References
References

1John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 21, Section 5
2John Knox, The Works of John Knox, Volume 4, p. 138
3Charles Spurgeon, C.H. Spurgeon Autobiography: The Early Years, (1834-1859), p. 168
4William Carey, An Enquiry into the Obligations of Christians, p. 68
5John Knox, The Works of John Knox, Volume 4, p. 138
6Paul Washer, The Gospel’s Power and Message
7John MacArthur, Afterword: The Five Points of Calvinism Defined, Defended and Documented
8Voddie Baucham, Sermon: “Election and Predestination” October, 2009
9Steven Lawson, Foundations of Grace, p. 17
10Joel Beke, Living for God’s Glory, p. 8
11Sinclair Ferguson, The Whole Christ, p. 10
12A.W. Pink, The Attributes of God, p. 23
13Thomas Watson, A Body of Divinity, p. 81
14Isaac Watts, Sermon: “The Doctrine of Election”
15John Bunyan, Saved by Grace, p. 41
16John Newton, “Letter to Rev. Haweis,” June 30, 1761
17Martin Luther, “Letter to Philip Melanchthon,” August 1, 1521
18D. Martyn LLoyd-Jones, Preaching and Preachers, p. 97
19Charles Spurgeon, Sermons: Vol. 2, p. 124
20William Perkins, A Golden Chain, p. 150
21John Flavel, The Mystery of Providence, p. 168
22Jonathan Edwards, Freedom of the Will
23John Owen, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
24Richard Belcher, A Journey in Grace, p. 128
25R.C. Sproul, Chosen By God, p. 30
AUTHOR

1. John Calvin

“We call predestination God’s eternal decree, by which He compacted with Himself what He willed to become of each man. For all are not created in equal condition; rather, eternal life is foreordained for some, eternal damnation for others.” 1

False Doctrine!

The truth from Jesus Christ -

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB

False Doctrine!

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB
So ...you do not enjoy any of these truths.That is sad.

You cannot understand these truths, so to you they seem false. Just like those in Jn.12:
39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,

40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

The result is you hate the truth of God although you think it is just the opposite.The 25 quotes are consistent with truth here;
6 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

If you want help to understand these things, just ask.

False Doctrine!

JLB
How would you describe predestination?

Who are the "whoever" in John 3:16?

Did the "whoever" come out of the kosmos?

How did the "whoever" believe?

How would you describe predestination?

Who are the "whoever" in John 3:16?

Did the "whoever" come out of the kosmos?

How did the "whoever" believe?
They cannot answer because it shows they do not have a biblical answer. We answer them, they can accuse us of many things, but it is empty rhetoric, no substance.

Only at glorification will any of us no longer be able to commit sin. We sin everyday.
I guess then, that my own life in Christ shows that Calvinism is untrue.
God gave us the gift of repentance so we could be non-sinners.
"TURN from" sin !
God gave us the gift of rebirth so we could remain free from walking in and after the "flesh".
It is written..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Rom 8:1-2)

Only at glorification will any of us no longer be able to commit sin. We sin everyday.
This is truth.

However, these people do not believe that. They believe they are walking sin free.

They justify their own pride that blinds them and twist Scripture for their unbiblical teaching.

It is easy to say one is sinless behind a keyboard.

I guess then, that my own life in Christ shows that Calvinism is untrue.
You might guess that, but we know you sin in thought word and deed. Your comments show the T is correct.
God gave us the gift of repentance so we could be non-sinners.
"TURN from" sin !
Yes. turning from sin and repenting of it happens often with believers.
God gave us the gift of rebirth so we could remain free from walking in and after the "flesh".
That is not how paul described the Christian life in Rom.7
It is written..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Rom 8:1-2
This is the only thing you have posted correctly. For those IN Christ, there will be no more condemnation as they continue into the eternal ,unchanging realm.
This is the only thing you have posted correctly. For those IN Christ, there will be no more condemnation as they continue into the eternal ,unchanging realm.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is truth.

However, these people do not believe that. They believe they are walking sin free.

They justify their own pride that blinds them and twist Scripture for their unbiblical teaching.

It is easy to say one is sinless behind a keyboard.
Periodically these kinds pop up on messageboards, as you correctly point out, no one see's them.If his wife signs up, she could start several threads on his sins.

You might guess that, but we know you sin in thought word and deed. Your depraved comments show the T is correct.

Hopeful says Paul was not a Christian in Romans 7:14ff.

An unregenerate will not say.....

that the law is good vs. 7:16
their is no good in me vs. 7:18
they want to do good vs. 7:19
For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, vs. 7:22
cannot call Jesus Christ Lord vs. 7:25

You might guess that, but we know you sin in thought word and deed. Your depraved comments show the T is correct.
What sin do you accuse me of ?
No believer has ever NOT turned from sin.
That is the first thing Peter ever taught. (Acts 2:38)
Most of Rom 7 is Paul's recollection of his own pre-conversion life, trying unsuccessfully to please God while under the Law.
He ends his narrative with the "big split".
Either man walks after the "flesh", or after the mind.
Romans 8 goes on to expand on the "split".
Walk in/after the "flesh", or walk in and after the Spirit.

Hopeful says Paul was not a Christian in Romans 7:14ff.

An unregenerate will not say.....

that the law is good vs. 7:16
their is no good in me vs. 7:18
they want to do good vs. 7:19
For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, vs. 7:22
cannot call Jesus Christ Lord vs. 7:25
A Jew would say it though.

“Calvinism is a system of theology that honors God and His Word by giving Him all the credit for man’s salvation from beginning to end.” #10

... from a human perspective I can see why they would prefer self determination... oh well.

“Calvinism is a system of theology that honors God and His Word by giving Him all the credit for man’s salvation from beginning to end.” #10

... from a human perspective I can see why they would prefer self determination... oh well.
Excellent.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back