Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

3 days and 3 nights? The sign of Jonah

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There was no 3 days and 3 nights nor was that the sign of Jonah that Jesus was referring to.

Mark 15

39And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.

40There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;

41(Who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.

42And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

43Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

44And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.

45And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.

46And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.

47And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

Mark 16
1And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

2And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

3And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

4And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

5And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.

6And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

If you read carefully you will see that it was the preperation day for the sabbath and then after the sabbath they went to the tomb early on the first day of the week and he was already risen. The truth is he was only in the tomb during the sabbath.

The sigh of Jonah was not 3 days and 3 nights, I will tell you if you want.

Better do some more homework, Jesus was definitely in the tomb three days and nights. It all depends if you know! from where you are counting. I will give you a hint, the preparation day mentioned was not Friday. :)

Then you have to know Jewish days are from sunset, to sunset not like ours.

samuel said:
Better do some more homework, Jesus was definitely in the tomb three days and nights. It all depends if you know! from where you are counting. I will give you a hint, the preparation day mentioned was not Friday. :)

Then you have to know Jewish days are from sunset, to sunset not like ours.

Mark 15 & 16 show that from the time Jesus placed in the tomb till the time the women came to the tomb was 24 hours. There are no 3 days involved at all. The scripture is clear here but how many will believe the scripture over what they have been made to believe?

There is no use in trying to make multiple sabbaths and so forth because the scripture clearly says it was the preparation day and then the Sabbath and then the first day of the week. so no wednesday, thursday interpretation holds water. This was definitely a 24 - 36 hour event and the Sabbath is 24 of those hours evening and morning and it cannot be accounted as partial periods because the Sabbath is Holy it is complete in itself.

Keep in mind also that no Jewish person would be coming to annoint the body of a 3 day old corpse and yes from evening to evening was the Sabbath and he was not there early the following morning.

BTW,

The phrase "high Sabbath" has however been identified by Dr. Dani ben Gigi of Hebrewworld.com, former professor of Hebrew Language at Arizona State University, as meaning specifically "Shabbat haGadol", which is the weekly Sabbath preceding Passover each year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sabbath

We all know that Jesus was crucified the week of the passover that he celebrated with his disciples it was the fact that it was after the passover that made it special not that it was a different day than the weekly sabbath. 1 1/2 days is the truth

So what is the sign of Jonah? Jonah was not dead in the belly of the whale and Jesus said as Jonah was.

samuel said:
Are you aware of how Jewish Rabbis counted days, and nights - evidently not!.

The Sabbath Day is from sundown to sundown. ow even if you count partial days as days you still wont have 3 days and 3 nights.

Yep you are right, Friday untill Sunday morning are at best only counted as Two Days, and Two Nights, that's by Rabbinical reckoning. So to get Three Days and Three Nights, you need to re-figure the day of Crucifixion to some other day; rather than Friday.

By the way; the Friday crucifixion is a Catholic Church invention. :)

samuel said:
Yep you are right, Friday untill Sunday morning are at best only counted as Two Days, and Two Nights, that's by Rabbinical reckoning. So to get Three Days and Three Nights, you need to re-figure the day of Crucifixion to some other day; rather than Friday.

By the way; the Friday crucifixion is a Catholic Church invention. :)

No Catholics did not invent the days nor reason. The account clearly includes only One Sabbath

bodhitharta said:
Mark 15 & 16 show that from the time Jesus placed in the tomb till the time the women came to the tomb was 24 hours. There are no 3 days involved at all. The scripture is clear here but how many will believe the scripture over what they have been made to believe?

There is no use in trying to make multiple sabbaths and so forth because the scripture clearly says it was the preparation day and then the Sabbath and then the first day of the week. so no wednesday, thursday interpretation holds water. This was definitely a 24 - 36 hour event and the Sabbath is 24 of those hours evening and morning and it cannot be accounted as partial periods because the Sabbath is Holy it is complete in itself.
Matthew 12:39-40 "He answered, A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
Bodi, I love that you keep on posting and doubting. Maybe one day you will come to believe. You say above "The scripture is clear here but how many will believe the scripture over what they have been made to believe?" I want to make you a deal. I'll show you what I believe and back it up with scripture and when we are done even if you do not believe what I am saying, if you think it is possible, I'd like to hear you say MAYBE. Fair enough? Our Lord said above He would be in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights. I'll show you a full 3 days-a 72 hour period- Have we got a deal?
Westtexas

westtexas said:
bodhitharta said:

Matthew 12:39-40 "He answered, A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
Bodi, I love that you keep on posting and doubting. Maybe one day you will come to believe. You say above "The scripture is clear here but how many will believe the scripture over what they have been made to believe?" I want to make you a deal. I'll show you what I believe and back it up with scripture and when we are done even if you do not believe what I am saying, if you think it is possible, I'd like to hear you say MAYBE. Fair enough? Our Lord said above He would be in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights. I'll show you a full 3 days-a 72 hour period- Have we got a deal?
Westtexas

Show me 72 hours with ONE SABBATH

bodhitharta said:
westtexas said:
bodhitharta said:

Westtexas

Show me 72 hours with ONE SABBATH
That's not the deal. Your first post in this quote says "The scripture is clear here but how many will believe the scripture over what they have been made to believe?" Our Lord Jesus said 3 days and 3 nights. Nothing was said about 1,2,3, or 50 sabbaths-only 3 days and 3 nights. You are coming in with a preconcieved idea in order to disprove scripture. I'll show you 72 hrs from scripture as our Lord said, and I'll take you at your word that even if you don't believe what I show you, if you think it's possible, I'll expect you to tell us MAYBE. Wanna play?

Westtexas

There are commentaries which accurately show that Jesus was in the tomb three days and three nights, one of which is the Companion Bible, appendix 156 and 165, By E.W. Bullinger.

I will shorten the appendix to just show the pertinent points:

THE DAY BEFORE THE PASSOVER--THE 14TH DAY OF NISAN--"THE PREPARATION DAY"--
THE DAY OF THE CRUCIFIXION

Jesus betrayed by Judas in the garden of Gethsemane. The trials continue throughout our Tuesday night.
At the third hour they crucified him (our 9 a.m. Wednesday).
At the sixth hour (our noon Wednesday) darkness covered the land.
At the ninth hour (our 3 p.m. Wednesday) Jesus expired with a loud cry, "It is finished."
Jesus hung on the cross until taken down by Joseph of Arimathea and hastily buried in the new tomb before sunset (our 6 p.m. Wednesday), before the "high day" (the first day of the Feast began).

THE FIRST DAY OF THE FEAST--THE "HIGH DAY"--THE 15TH DAY OF NISAN.
(Our Wednesday sunset to Thursday sunset).
THE FIRST NIGHT AND FIRST DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE SECOND DAY OF THE FEAST--THE 16TH DAY OF NISAN. (Our Thursday sunset to Friday sunset).
THE SECOND NIGHT AND SECOND DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE THIRD DAY OF THE FEAST--THE (WEEKLY) SABBATH--THE 17TH DAY OF NISAN.

THE THIRD NIGHT AND THIRD DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK--(Beginning our Saturday sunset). THUS THE RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD TOOK PLACE OUR SATURDAY SUNSET OR THERABOUTS !!

HE WAS INDEED, THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE "HEART OF THE EARTH."

Hello Bick, I agree. Scripture also verifies your explanation. In the gospels of Mark and Luke both writers tell of the women buying spices to anoint Jesus' body.
Mark 16:1--And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.(KJV)
Luke 23:56--And they returned and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath Day according to the commandment. (KJV)

These 2 writers reference the buying of the spices to 2 different Sabbaths. Mark talks about buying these spices AFTER the Sabbath-which would have been the Passover Sabbath. Luke talks about buying the spices AND THEN RESTING on the Sabbath-which would have been the weekly Sabbath.
15th day of Nisan--Passover Sabbath
16th day of Nisan--the buying of the spices
17th day of Nisan--weekly Sabbath

Additionly, Young's Literal Translation says Matthew 28:1--And on the eve of the SABBATHS (plural)
Westtexas

Back