Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Christian does not eat everything

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Seventh Day Adventist Church? Their religion has rules like that? I guess that's one more reason I'm not one of them. But I've known a few of them and never knew any to follow OT laws like that. Are there different sects which have different laws they make them follow?
IMO they are a pseudo Christian cult, and should be avoided.

They are a very judgmental group, and cheerfully condemn others who do not worship on Saturday or scrupulously follow the rules of a woman "prophetess" who had "visions" during her cataleptic trances and made up some silly rules to follow, claiming that these were from God because they could find snippets of Scripture to justify her visions.

Collectively, they are very works oriented, anti grace, and do not believe in the sufficiency of Scripture alone. They hate all the Ecumenical Creeds even though they cannot find anything wrong with them. Some of them believe Jesus is Michael the Archangel and that ultimately Satan will bear all of our sins. When a non SDA person dies he does not exist anymore; that is called annihilation. When the SDA person dies, s/he goes into "soul sleep". Hell is not eternal, and heaven is the reward of those who follow Ellen's rules because they are the "remnant church".

For those reasons, I believe that they are a cult. Others call them "heterodox" because they use the Bible as a ploy to justify their extra Biblical, contrary-to-Scripture beliefs.

Because this is such a controversial issue, I shall not proceed further except to make two links: The first is to the official CARM explanation on the SDA church and the second is to the SDA forum on CARM so that you and your friend can see the things that are discussed, and how they are discussed by the SDA posters, one or two of whom are SDA pastors.

Anyone can lurk, but to respond, you need to register.

BTW on a personal note, I thought MacArthur was Dispensational, and that was his basis for being against the Charismatics (the cessation of the Gifts of Holy Spirit). Now I see through his seminar called, "Strange Fire" I see that he is definitely Reformed, and as a whole, I appreciate the care in which he addressed the subject. However, it seemed as of he was using the obvious excesses of the "lunatic fringe" in order to attack the core of the Charismatics, and that is simply fallacious reasoning. That is evident in the panel discussion that followed.

Were you on stage then?

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake
having just come out of surgery about an hour before I was 5 stories up in a hospital in the Napa valley
DH had to get back to his job other family needed to be with the kids.. because of the quake..
The hospital is an Adventist hospital...What a blessing the nurse came in.. to comfort every one was worried ..
She asked if we could pray together.. ...
At a time of need God sent His Comfort in the form of a SDA nurse Thank you Lord

A Christian does not eat everything, my minister friend told me.

There is a limit to what a Christian eats. He eats selectively - and not everywhere! He eats for strength and growth, not for the taste and pleasantness of the food
I don't know what you are talking about, excuse me Classik honey bring out the barbecue sauce please
211-638-lechon.jpg

I went to the zoo today, and I pet some calves. And I'm thinking to myself...how can I eat such sweet animals?
Considering eating a vegetarian diet again... I could NEVER kill an animal...but I still eat it. I feel guilty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake
having just come out of surgery about an hour before I was 5 stories up in a hospital in the Napa valley
DH had to get back to his job other family needed to be with the kids.. because of the quake..
The hospital is an Adventist hospital...What a blessing the nurse came in.. to comfort every one was worried ..
She asked if we could pray together.. ...
At a time of need God sent His Comfort in the form of a SDA nurse Thank you Lord
I am glad that you were comforted by a nurse at the SDA hospital, Reba.

However, just as in a Roman Catholic hospital, it is not a requirement of employment to have a staff member of a particular faith. Indeed, I would be remiss to not state that there are decent and caring members of every faith. One of the doctors I see at the VA is Muslim.

There is a difference between individuals, and their religion. Were I to talk to that doctor about his faith, I would be remiss if I did not mention some of the suras that tell the Muslims that Jews are their enemy.

In the same manner, since Classik began this thread about his friend the SDA person (whom I assume is a good person) and was asking about the beliefs of the SDA church, for me to expose their beliefs, and make sure I do not condemn that personal friend of Classik does not make any attack on a personal basis.

My basis for attack was only their aberrant, non Bible-based theological beliefs.

...BTW on a personal note, I thought MacArthur was Dispensational, and that was his basis for being against the Charismatics (the cessation of the Gifts of Holy Spirit). Now I see through his seminar called, "Strange Fire" I see that he is definitely Reformed, and as a whole, I appreciate the care in which he addressed the subject. However, it seemed as of he was using the obvious excesses of the "lunatic fringe" in order to attack the core of the Charismatics, and that is simply fallacious reasoning. That is evident in the panel discussion that followed.

Were you on stage then?
Me on stage with him? No. I know him but never worked with him in a church. Almost did at one time, but God lead in a different direction and he freely gave me a lot of personal hands on help with that ministry for which I was grateful. And I may know him, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says. I watched part of that Strange Fire series and agree that he did a lot of picking out of the lunatic fringe to make it look like all Charismatics were like that. But what he does say about those lunatics I agree with when it is applied to the lunatic fringe. As one who has seen very real miracles from God, I know the power of the Holy Spirit is real, but I agree with what he says about the radicals on the fringe.

Last edited:
I don't know what you are talking about, excuse me Classik honey bring out the barbecue sauce please
211-638-lechon.jpg
That is very frightening. Is that how you kill an animal, by forcing a peg through the mouth and out through the anus?

crying

! Tim 4
1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Me on stage with him? No. I know him but never worked with him in a church. Almost did at one time, but God lead in a different direction and he freely gave me a lot of personal hands on help with that ministry for which I was grateful. And I may know him, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says. I watched part of that Strange Fire series and agree that he did a lot of picking out of the lunatic fringe to make it look like all Charismatics were like that. But what he does say about those lunatics I agree with when it is applied to the lunatic fringe. As one who has seen very real miracles from God, I know the power of the Holy Spirit is real, but I agree with what he says about the radicals on the fringe.
What really dismayed me in that seminar was the fact that it was all a logical fallacy called "hasty generalization", or more precisely, "No true Scotsman..." which is a reference as to how Scotchmen eat their beloved oatmeal cooked with milk or with water.

Due to his high academic stature, and intellectual prowess, I can state that I was really disappointed in that segment. the part does not define the whole. And as every debater knows, the exposure of a single fallacy of argument invalidates the entire argument being presented.

Since I am a third generation removed from Scottish immigrants, I can tell you the truth, because I also love oatmeal that no true Scotsman cooks his oatmeal... Never mind, I do not to let the secret out as to how we differentiate the true Scotsman from the false one. :hysterical

Reducing eating to mere feeding, intake of food for strength and nourishment alone, without thought to taste, enjoyment, etc. seems a bit...punitive. And odd, honestly.

It can be punitive. It can also be a remedy for gluttony.

In the USA we have a growing problem with obesity and diabetes. As a nation, we eat too much and we eat the wrong things. Our excess brings the curse of disease upon us. That's why we have the phrase, "Too much of a good thing."

Overeating (note that it has become a legitimate English word) is an impediment to prayer. Jesus spent time in prayer and fasting and told His disciples that some exorcisms cannot be done without prayer and fasting. (Mat 17:21; Mar 9:29) Paul told Timothy to pray without ceasing. (1Th 5:17)

I wonder what percentage of American Christians do that on a regular basis. Is the overall spiritual health of our churches as manifested by those which have decided to view same-sex marriage as a blessed estate and ordination of practicing homosexuals a reflection much prayer and fasting or of a lack of prayer and too much self-indulgence?

Our American self-indulgence and attitude of self-importance and entitlement are impediments to our relationship with God. We tend to have greater concern for our rights as citizens of the USA than for our duties as servants of the Lord of Heaven and Earth.

When the son of man returns, will He find faithfulness on the earth?

But, what do I know??

iakov the fool

That is very frightening. Is that how you kill an animal, by forcing a peg through the mouth and out through the anus?

crying

No. After the animal is killed, you remove the entrails, clean it, skin it if it has fur like a bear or a deer or pluck the feathers if it's a bird, and then you push the spit ("peg") through it so you can rotate it over the fire and roast it evenly. For a demonstration, go to Costco when they start the rotisserie chickens. (Mmmmmm! Yummie!)

Gen 9:3a “Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you." NKJV

Iakov the fool

This thread reminds me of a guest preacher who spoke in our church DECADES ago. He was a crusty old guy, our pastor had no idea that he'd go off the rails so far, but he did:

"All sex is sin, sex within marriage is just forgiven sin. But it is all sin."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back