Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] A lonely road

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

BelieverX

lonely_road.jpg

photo of the road

December 1991.

I sat there in my worn out VW Rabbit staring out the window at the falling rain. I had stopped in the middle of nowhere. There was no one around for miles, just a winding road and my yellow car parked at the foot of a small mountain. My gaze followed the mountain to the top, and I was thinking how small I felt there at the bottom. It was Thanksgiving and here I was sitting with an open bag of instant oatmeal in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. I poured the oatmeal in my mouth and then chased it down with a slug of water. It wasn’t very fancy, nothing like sliced roasted turkey, but it did ease the hunger. I had very little money, just enough to buy the bag of oatmeal and something to drink. All that I owned was in my car, I’d lost everything else. I had no photos of my childhood, no trinkets to remind me of some special occasion...nothing. I never felt so alone in my life. I thought, “God why is this happening to me? I’m supposed to be your child aren't I? I mean, you've always looked after me”. As I sulked, memories of rejection floated to the surface. I had no parents, no real family except a half brother. I was moved from one place to the next, living in thirteen foster homes, three boys homes and one orphanage. As I sat there listening to the rain fall on the roof I wondered if I made some mistake, or did something to offend God. I began to cry “God please...I can’t stand this anymore...help me please, help me!”.

I wept for nearly an hour, when I heard a car pull up and park along side mine. I turned my head the opposite direction so as to hide my face from the occupants. I thought to myself, “Just go away, I want to be here...alone”. An older woman and a boy got out of their car and walked a few yards towards the mountain. They looked like they were talking to each other but through the rain I couldn't really tell. I didn’t care, I just wanted them to leave. After some time they walked back to their car and opened the doors, “good” I thought, they're leaving. I still had my head turned away when a knock on the glass startled me. I looked through the window to see the older woman standing there. She smiled and asked if I was OK.The window on that side of the car was broken, I had to hold the glass when rolling it or else it would fall down inside the door. I rolled it down a few inches, just enough so that someone couldn't reach their hand through the space. She continued smiling and looked at me like she had a secret, something she couldn't wait to tell me. Staring straight into my eyes she asked, “Are you a Christian?” I quickly looked away, and while studying the floor of my car I answered, “Yes, I am.” She didn't flinch, as if the answer wasn't really important. She lowered her head and spoke through the crack in the window, “You know Jesus loves you”. And then she straightened up, did an about face and walked back to her car. For a while I continued to stare at some place near my feet, when she knocked on the window again. This time I didn't look up, and mumbled "yeah". She announced, "God told me to give this to you". As I looked up, she reached into her jacket pocket, pulled out something and pushed it through the opening in the window. "Go and get yourself a hot meal and a warm place to sleep tonight.” And with that she turned on her heels, walked again back to her car, got inside with her son and drove away. I looked down at what I held in my hands, and stared at it in bewilderment. A hundred dollar bill. My body began to tremble. It was as if joy and sorrow met face to face for a duel, and the battleground was my heart. Tears came, but this time it was no stream, this time they gushed out like water bursting from a dam. I cried and cried for what seemed like forever. I just couldn’t stop. And then inside of me, deep inside, I heard a voice. “My child, I will never leave you”.

I sat there for a long time. I forgot about being alone, about rejection, I even forgot about the hunger. Jesus heard my cries. I was homeless, I had nothing...no gas, no food and no place to sleep other than the seat of my car. Parked on a lonely road, in the middle of nowhere, on Thanksgiving, at a time when most people are home with their families. One car out of the thousands that could have drove by, just so happen to be navigated by an older woman consumed by love. Jesus filled her heart and she was determined to share it with someone else...even with a homeless man living in his car.

1. Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer.
2. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61:1-2

1. Blessed is he who considers the poor; The LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
2. The LORD will preserve him and keep him alive, And he will be blessed on the earth; You will not deliver him to the will of his enemies.
Psalm 41:1-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear BelieverX, at the lowest times of my life God has been so faithful to send His angels, and I do not mean some imagined winged cherub, but a messenger or comforter such as the woman with the hundred dollar bill just at the right moment, or a preacher with a word directly to me he didn't even know he was delivering at the time, but that lifted me in my moment of despair.

How wonderful is our Father that supplies all our need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus, Who will never leave nor forsake us, and invites us to come boldly to Him at all times.

Thank you for that encouraging testimony of God's faithfulness, and of those that are used by Him in their walk. God bless you in Jesus' name.

Thank you for your kind words.

Some days after the miracle on that road, I visited a Friday night service at a church, where a woman and her sister were guest singers. I stared in awe as they both sang like I imagined angels would sing. After the service I saw one of the women standing at the top of some stairs crying, so I walked up to her to see if I could comfort her. She looked up at me and I said to her "you know Jesus loves you, whatever it is, it will get better". And then I did an about face and went to my car. I was still homeless and I had to find somewhere to park so that I could sleep. Two weeks later I visited the same church again, but this time on a Sunday. After the service ended I was walking to my car when I felt someone touch my arm. I turned to see the woman, who was crying on the stairs two weeks before, standing there smiling. She said, "I would like to invite you to my sisters house for coffee and cake".

Sitting there drinking coffee and listening to her talk, I fell in love. But how could a woman from Germany who was visiting her sister in the United States love a homeless man. When she returned to Germany, we stayed in contact through letters that I received via her sister. In one letter I sent her, I explained that I was homeless and that I had nothing to offer her. I told her that I had nothing more than a spoon and fork and some clothes in my car. I wrote to her that maybe it was best that she look elsewhere for someone who had more to offer her. After that I didn't write to her anymore. Several weeks later I visited the same church again, and her sister gave me a letter. In the letter, words of sadness and joy spoke to me. At the end there was a declaration that she was coming back to the States, and that she had something important to say to me.

The day after she arrived we went to a park where she looked me in the eyes and said this, "I love you...I don't care what you have or don't have, I want to spend my life with you, please let me take care of you.". Three months later I found myself standing at an airport in Frankfurt Germany. Her father and mother picked me up and we drove to their house. As I arrived at her parents house, her father took me in his arms, hugged me and said into my ear, welcome into the family.

October 24th will be our 20th wedding anniversary. We have lived 20 years in the same house that her family built for us. I have gone to college here in Germany and have gotten a degree as a Technical Editor/Writer. God has blessed me with a wife and three kids, a very large extended family (7 brother-in-laws, 4 sister-in-laws and dozens of my wife's aunts, uncles and cousins), a job (I'm self employed), and a house...a place to call my own.

I'm not homeless anymore and I have a family that before I could only dream about. I cannot thank God enough for His love...thank you Jesus!

Thank you for your kind words.

Some days after the miracle on that road, I visited a Friday night service at a church, where a woman and her sister were guest singers. I stared in awe as they both sang like I imagined angels would sing. After the service I saw one of the women standing at the top of some stairs crying, so I walked up to her to see if I could comfort her. She looked up at me and I said to her "you know Jesus loves you, whatever it is, it will get better". And then I did an about face and went to my car. I was still homeless and I had to find somewhere to park so that I could sleep. Two weeks later I visited the same church again, but this time on a Sunday. After the service ended I was walking to my car when I felt someone touch my arm. I turned to see the woman, who was crying on the stairs two weeks before, standing there smiling. She said, "I would like to invite you to my sisters house for coffee and cake".

Sitting there drinking coffee and listening to her talk, I fell in love. But how could a woman from Germany who was visiting her sister in the United States love a homeless man. When she returned to Germany, we stayed in contact through letters that I received via her sister. In one letter I sent her, I explained that I was homeless and that I had nothing to offer her. I told her that I had nothing more than a spoon and fork and some clothes in my car. I wrote to her that maybe it was best that she look elsewhere for someone who had more to offer her. After that I didn't write to her anymore. Several weeks later I visited the same church again, and her sister gave me a letter. In the letter, words of sadness and joy spoke to me. At the end there was a declaration that she was coming back to the States, and that she had something important to say to me.

The day after she arrived we went to a park where she looked me in the eyes and said this, "I love you...I don't care what you have or don't have, I want to spend my life with you, please let me take care of you.". Three months later I found myself standing at an airport in Frankfurt Germany. Her father and mother picked me up and we drove to their house. As I arrived at her parents house, her father took me in his arms, hugged me and said into my ear, welcome into the family.

October 24th will be our 20th wedding anniversary. We have lived 20 years in the same house that her family built for us. I have gone to college here in Germany and have gotten a degree as a Technical Editor/Writer. God has blessed me with a wife and three kids, a very large extended family (7 brother-in-laws, 4 sister-in-laws and dozens of my wife's aunts, uncles and cousins), a job (I'm self employed), and a house...a place to call my own.

I'm not homeless anymore and I have a family that before I could only dream about. I cannot thank God enough for His love...thank you Jesus!

Peace to you, brother! :)

Thank you so much for sharing. It has been an encouragement to me and a reminder that God takes care of His children. He will never leave us although the road may seem dark and lonely.

I'm happy that what has happened in my life can encourage other Believers. I've fallen into so many holes, and He has always been there to lift me out. I know beyond a doubt that our Redeemer lives.

So many miracles, and I will share them here over time.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back