Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Muslim Funeral

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

My nephew was shot and killed last week and he was Muslim, I have never been inside a Mosque before, and I have never attended a Muslim burial also. In the Mosque the Imam was talking fairy tale stuff about the body. Now at the grave my nephew's father and my nephew's brother and another guy were handed the body down in the grave. No problem, then they put 3 large stones under his right side so that he could face Mecca. Then 2 pieces of plywood were put over top of him and then we took turns throwing dirt on him. Then some of the women came over near the grave and were reprimanded and told to get away from the grave, some of them were Muslim and some of them were not. Some went back over where they were supposed to, and some of them would not budge, this made that dude even hotter. Some of them were in full women's Muslim garb. And some of them were Christians. The dude yelled out you women is not even supposed to be here period, and the only reason that you are here is because we can't stop you in America. The Muslim faith is a false faith.

Here is their traditions here
http://www.funeralhomeresource.com/article/muslim-funeral-traditions.html

Last edited:
Muslims do not believe in cremation or embalming. Muslims are always buried, never cremated. It is a religious requirement that the body be ritually washed and draped before burial, which should be as soon as possible after death. Muslim women never attend burials and it is rare for funeral directors to be involved. Various Muslim sects are united in the belief of the sacredness of the human body and are against postmortem examinations.

Muslim Burial Customs
• After death, the Deceased is covered with a clean sheet, the eyes are closed and sometimes the Deceased is turned toward Mecca.
• Like Jewish traditions, Muslims are to be buried as soon as possible and not embalmed or cremated to avoid disturbing the Deceased.
• Autopsies are not strictly forbidden, but discouraged and acceptable when necessary.
• Organ donation can vary between Muslim cultures. Some allow organ donation and others do not.
• The casket is either plain wood, or where allowed, there is no casket at all.

The Muslim Culture
In accordance to Muslim Funeral Traditions, the preparation of their loved ones is done by family or a funeral home that is familiar with Islamic customs. The family member is prepared for burial and wrapped in a white shroud. It is preferred for a Muslim to be buried where he or she died, and not be transported to another location or country (which may cause delays or require embalming the body). If available, a cemetery (or section of one) set aside for Muslims is preferred. The deceased is laid in the grave (without a coffin if permitted by local law) on his or her right side, facing Mecca. Grave markers, tombstones and flowers are not allowed. Rather, one should humbly remember Allah and His mercy, and pray for the deceased. It is a very silent ceremony. Do not send flowers.

Muslim Funeral Attire

Funeral dress depends on faith and tradition. Muslim funeral customs, for example, take place in a Mosque where shoes must be removed, and women and men sit separately in designated seats. Women are usually obligated to wear a headscarf. When attending a Muslim funeral, women should take a scarf. Whenever attending funeral rites of someone from a different faith, it is prudent to make enquiries and ensure appropriate dress. Improper funeral attire is a distraction from funeral rites.

The traditional Muslim mourning period is three days during which visitors are received and mourners avoid decorative jewelry or clothing. Widows typically mourn for four months and ten days, during which they are not allowed to move residences, re-marry or wear decorative jewelry or clothing.

Two things common with Judaism, depending on the sect.

I'm not sure in orthodox if they are separated on the funeral seating.weddings and shabbat they are.

Muslim women never attend burials
That is stupid to me. Yesterday the women had to stand like 50 yards away from us at the cemetery. Now when some decided to get closer they were reprimanded. Now should Christian women have to stand back ? The guy did say at the cemetery, that the only reason you women are here at the burial period, is because we are in America. I got angry about the way the women were treated.

That is stupid to me. Yesterday the women had to stand like 50 yards away from us at the cemetery. Now when some decided to get closer they were reprimanded. Now should Christian women have to stand back ? The guy did say at the cemetery, that the only reason you women are here at the burial period, is because we are in America. I got angry about the way the women were treated.

I don't blame you, Lewis, it angers me as well. I've visited Israel often, my wife is treated with respect there. After our one visit to an Arab Muslim country where it was clear neither she nor any other woman was going to be respected I've decided to never again visit a majority Muslim country. It is a huge mistake to permit large numbers of Muslims into our country.

I do appreciate their tradition about the casket being wooden or not at all. Crazy what our culture has convinced grieving family to spend on caskets. Crazy and predatory, to be honest.

Everything else was VERY interesting to read. Thanks for sharing!

His body was lifted out the plain wooden casket and down in the grave to his father, and the casket goes back to the Muslim undertaker for reuse

Muslim women never attend burials

From what I read on Islamic sites, that is not categorically true, but it has been a gray area, practices vary, and it may be permitted like assuming they compose themselves.

You can read the nuanced arguments, but I think it can fall into the legalism Jesus hated and obscure more important points about what God seeks from our hearts...

Not only were women at the burial of Jesus (Luke 23:55), women had a unique role throughout Jesus's death: following him to the cross (Luke 23:27), present at his tomb, and being the first to meet him resurrected and proclaim his resurrection (Matthew 28:7). It was Mary Magdelene WEEPING at Jesus's tomb (John 20:11) and not being despised by God by weeping there. Psalms 51:17. That sinner knew more fully than anyone the depth of God's forgiveness, and it was for her that Jesus's came to Earth. In stark contrast, Jesus's message incensed the legalistic and self-righteous religious authorities of the day. Similar comparison in Luke 7:36-50.

I've decided to never again visit a majority Muslim country. It is a huge mistake to permit large numbers of Muslims into our country.

I believe that sentiment is not Christ-like.

I thank Lewis for sharing the experience of his loss.

Back