Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Reprobate Mind

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My feeling is that we cannot make decisions about others period. Yes, we can decide we are not comfortable and that we don't want to be closer to someone. That said, we are not to judge. Or to participate in gossip, which opens the door to blasphemy.

My feeling is that we cannot make decisions about others period. Yes, we can decide we are not comfortable and that we don't want to be closer to someone. That said, we are not to judge. Or to participate in gossip, which opens the door to blasphemy.
I think what you want to say is we are not to condemn. Because we are in fact called to judge.

I don't think there is a person here who would leave their kids or grand kids alone with a convicted child molester. That's making a judgment. What I don't think anyone here will do is condemn the convicted child molester for his past transgressions.

I think what you want to say is we are not to condemn. Because we are in fact called to judge.

I don't think there is a person here who would leave their kids or grand kids alone with a convicted child molester. That's making a judgment. What I don't think anyone here will do is condemn the convicted child molester for his past transgressions.
Well I don't see the difference in what I said. I would not be comfortable to leave grandchildren with a convicted rapist. But I would not be willing to judge the state of his soul either. As a woman even less would I think myself authorized to do so.

Should we make decisions about other people based on other peoples opinions?
Yes! because it has been a proven fact that, when we confront or just be listening to the details of another person opinion, we that are spiritual can advise. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Only if the person ask you of that issue, and of your hope experience. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: I Peter 3:15

1 Corinthians 2

Last edited:
An opinion can be based on scripture, or were you going on the connotation that an opinion is just someone's idea and not something scriptural?
Opinions are human views of things. We of course have them and we judge situations and decide what we are comfortable with. But just because an opinion is based on scripture does not make it scripture. Scripture is not opinion for me. Of course I am expressing only my own opinion and since I am a new christian, don't feel I know much of anything. ::hug I guess I just figured out how to use the emoticons here.

Yes! because it has been a proven fact that, when we confront or just be listening to the details of another person opinion, we that are spiritual can advise.

Yes as long as we accept that we are human, could be wrong, and that the person, whatever they do, can accept or reject our advice, and that if they reject it this does not entitle us to condemn them. It doesn't mean we have to continue to speak to them either though.

Opinions are human views of things. We of course have them and we judge situations and decide what we are comfortable with. But just because an opinion is based on scripture does not make it scripture. Scripture is not opinion for me. Of course I am expressing only my own opinion and since I am a new christian, don't feel I know much of anything. ::hug I guess I just figured out how to use the emoticons here.
And that is the point I was making. Deborah apparently was meaning 'opinion' in the sense of personal thinking and beliefs, when the truth is the opinion one forms can be very scriptural. So 'opinion' does not mean, by definition, un-scriptural.

Isn't that what's occurring when we refuse the child molester's offer to babysit our children? We need a babysitter and the molester offered, but because of his/her past transgressions we decline the offer.

That's how I see it anyway.

And that is the point I was making. Deborah apparently was meaning 'opinion' in the sense of personal thinking and beliefs, when the truth is the opinion one forms can be very scriptural. So 'opinion' does not mean, by definition, un-scriptural.
True, but I feel that for myself I need to be humble about my opinion whatever it may be in regards to, since as we agree, it is not necessarily scriptural and could be wrong, even though it also could be correct and follow scripture. I don't want to get too cozy with my fixed opinion lest I disobey the Lord. I'd rather realize in advance that my opinions could be wrong and might not be scriptural. For me this is the best starting position so that I can pray and avoid pride stepping into the picture.

Isn't that what's occurring when we refuse the child molester's offer to babysit our children? We need a babysitter and the molester offered, but because of his/her past transgressions we decline the offer.

No, it's not condemning him. If we added on to that scenario,"well he's not even saved anyway, since he's a child molester", then, yes, we would be condemning him. But as it is, not letting him near the kids is simply making a right judgment about a situation.

I can see a situation where the Lord would show me that this person was ok now. But notwithstanding that, failing to be comfortable to give someone my grandchild does not amount to judging the person's soul. It only amounts to being cautious over my grandchild's welfare insofar as I lack the capacity to KNOW for sure if that person is with the Lord or not. Since I lack knowledge, I act that way. If I was otherwise convicted by the Lord I might trust the person. None of this means that I cease to love my neighbor or that I would not help that person if they need help.

No, we shouldn't.

Other people's opinions are just that.........................opinions!

Sounds like you're doing what I was talking about. Opinion by definition does not mean 'unscriptural'. An opinion can in fact be very scripturally based. We see an example of that in Paul's counsel to the Corinthians about marriage.

I can see a situation where the Lord would show me that this person was ok now. But notwithstanding that, failing to be comfortable to give someone my grandchild does not amount to judging the person's soul. It only amounts to being cautious over my grandchild's welfare insofar as I lack the capacity to KNOW for sure if that person is with the Lord or not. Since I lack knowledge, I act that way. If I was otherwise convicted by the Lord I might trust the person. None of this means that I cease to love my neighbor or that I would not help that person if they need help.
You sound a lot like me, lol. (I find it interesting when I read a post and it feels like I'm reading one of my own posts).

The only thing I would not say is that them being saved or not has any bearing on whether I leave my grand kids with a convicted child molester. I wish being saved was a guarantee that us Christians could in no way walk in our old ways. I wish it were so.

Yes! because it has been a proven fact that, when we confront or just be listening to the details of another person opinion, we that are spiritual can advise. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2
I'm not saying that people shouldn't give advise or that people shouldn't listen to what they have to say.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back