Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study a rope around the high priest ankle .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
ok so we had this discussion in wed bible study. they allegedly tied a rope around the high priest ankle . when he entered the holiest of hollies . in case he messed up or died when presenting the yearly sacrifice. personally i do not find it in scripture and nor do i agree with the rope

It's a later development.

From: www.torahclass.com/old-testament.../152-lesson-33-chapter38-39-40

"We’re told in an earlier chapter that the bells were necessary in order that “the High Priest would not die” when he was doing service in the Tabernacle. The bells were more than a decoration. In fact, later on in the Temple era (the Temple was just a permanent Tabernacle), a rope was tied onto the ankle of the High Priest when he went into the Holy of Holies on Yom Kippur…..the Day of Atonement. The idea was that the lower priests, who would be standing outside the Sanctuary, would listen for the constant gentle jingling of the golden bells as the High Priest moved around, performing his purification rituals; if the jingling ceased for any substantial period of time, then they would assume that Yehoveh has likely killed the High Priest for some breach of protocol, and they would pull him out with the rope attached to his foot. The logic for this procedure is understandable: ONLY the High Priest can go into the Holy of Holies. Anyone else that might dare to venture would be struck dead. So, if something happened to the High Priest inside, there was no way to remove him. Even a quick appointment of a new High Priest wouldn’t help, because under no circumstance can a High Priest handle a dead body…..not even a member of his own family. Incidentally, there is no record, Biblical or otherwise, of a High Priest dying, and having to be dragged out of the Holy of Holies by this rope."

So, that's what the Jews have to say about the rope.

iakov the fool

It's a later development.

From: www.torahclass.com/old-testament.../152-lesson-33-chapter38-39-40

"We’re told in an earlier chapter that the bells were necessary in order that “the High Priest would not die” when he was doing service in the Tabernacle. The bells were more than a decoration. In fact, later on in the Temple era (the Temple was just a permanent Tabernacle), a rope was tied onto the ankle of the High Priest when he went into the Holy of Holies on Yom Kippur…..the Day of Atonement. The idea was that the lower priests, who would be standing outside the Sanctuary, would listen for the constant gentle jingling of the golden bells as the High Priest moved around, performing his purification rituals; if the jingling ceased for any substantial period of time, then they would assume that Yehoveh has likely killed the High Priest for some breach of protocol, and they would pull him out with the rope attached to his foot. The logic for this procedure is understandable: ONLY the High Priest can go into the Holy of Holies. Anyone else that might dare to venture would be struck dead. So, if something happened to the High Priest inside, there was no way to remove him. Even a quick appointment of a new High Priest wouldn’t help, because under no circumstance can a High Priest handle a dead body…..not even a member of his own family. Incidentally, there is no record, Biblical or otherwise, of a High Priest dying, and having to be dragged out of the Holy of Holies by this rope."

So, that's what the Jews have to say about the rope.

iakov the fool
i appreciate the post . the only thing i can figure on the rope is some man must have brought it in. i do not believe it was used in the early tabernacle . every thing i read is they was purified that they die not. if the high priest was not purified they would not have made it past the front entrance. in conclusion this is my opinion . in eureka springs ark they have a holyland tour along with the great passion play . in the holyland tour they have a tabernacle in the wilderness a messianic jew plays the role of the high priest . he made mention of the rope saying it was not so. please note i go by what i read in the Bible. i am not saying i am %100 correct and your wrong. just my opinion.

When did they loose the Arc?
Not going to say this correctly. hope ya get the idea. was there a holy of holies without the Arc?
when was 'Moses' tabernacle gone?

When did they loose the Arc?
Not going to say this correctly. hope ya get the idea. was there a holy of holies without the Arc?
when was 'Moses' tabernacle gone?

They probably lost the Ark at the time of the Babylonian captivity. I don't know if they got it back when they returned during the reigh of Cyrus. If they did, it was lost again when the Romans destroyed the temple in 70 AD.
The tabernacle was replaced by the temple of Solomon.

iakov the fool
:boing

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back