Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study A YES OR NO QUESTION.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
2 Corinthians 3:12-18
Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: But their minds were blinded:for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES US INTO ALL TRUTH?
THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES INSIDE OF US AND TEACHES US?

Yes. But the Spirit is not a dragging you screaming to walk righteously entity. Nor does it act to your self will worship. The Holy Spirit is sovereign, He will lead, He will guide you into all truth. Christendom is a secular word to describe the multitude of churches that claim Jesus Christ. But the majority of these churches are nominal (in name only). What the Lord sowed upon the earth while He was here has grown wild and is full of leaven. The Church after Pentecost started out knowing those that were evil, testing those who claimed to be apostles. They were patient, they labored and held up God's name by obedience of the Holy Spirit. But after a while they began to leave their first love and let men overcome them and be over them, and instead they settled down where Satan's throne is (living by the principles of this world which is run by Satan). They became prostitutes and whores of the world., never taking off their wedding ring, following after Jezebel. That is what happens when you leave your first love.
And as time progressed the church became an organization Instead of the living organism joined to Christ a living body. They decided they were rich and they needed nothing. They became blind, Spiritually blind. So you can not judge Spiritual things by looking at Christendom. But, in that mass of nominal s is Philadelphia. (Rev. 2:1-22)

Philadelphia are those who were born again and are led by the Spirit. A believer can grieve the Spirit and even hinder the Spirit in Him. But He can not grieve or hinder it away. It is a permanent possession. And you have to seek and ask and be obedient to it's teachings. This is a supernatural and Spiritual life for the born again.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Yes, because John the Baptist tells us "...He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire."(Mt. 3, 11).Also propheside in Joel 2,28 "...I will pour out my Spirit on all people."NIV

John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments. 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

I think it is important to reiterate Choppers initial response being John 14:15-18 as re-posted above. Please pay particular attention to the requirement of this promise from Jesus. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." Also, that the world cannot receive the Spirit of truth because the world does not know him. Receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit hinges on these truths. So you must belong to Him before you can receive the Holy Spirit.

I think it is important to reiterate Choppers initial response being John 14:15-18 as re-posted above. Please pay particular attention to the requirement of this promise from Jesus. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." Also, that the world cannot receive the Spirit of truth because the world does not know him. Receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit hinges on these truths. So you must belong to Him before you can receive the Holy Spirit.
How does the world come to know the spirit of truth? Or do you believe the "world" is incapable? How do you view the words of Jesus on this matter?

Also, is there a prerequisite that one must first be willing to receive a gift prior to it be given? Or can a gift be rejected?

The OP asked for a 'yes' or 'no' answer and members have written lengthy posts which defer from this.
This is a good thing, as a yes or a no cannot answer the questions with much emphasis unless they are underlined, bold, italic or coloured differently.
Context is good and I applaud members who have expanded on their answers with very good points.

cherovis said:

How does the world come to know the spirit of truth? Or do you believe the "world" is incapable? How do you view the words of Jesus on this matter?

Also, is there a prerequisite that one must first be willing to receive a gift prior to it be given? Or can a gift be rejected?

Thank you for asking Taylor. You ask how the world comes to know the Spirit of truth. Jesus said in John 6:44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." Jesus is speaking again in John 14:17, "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." So we are called by God for His purpose according to His will. The world is incapable of understanding the things of God unless He Himself draw them. But, God is not blamed for the condemnation of man. Romans 1:19 "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them." 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" So God has made himself known to all men. Matthew 13:15 "For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." But the gospel is "hid from them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." --2 Corinthians 4:3-4 SO, yes. I believe the world is incapable of coming to Christ on their own & I believe the world cannot understand the gospel because it is hid from them & spiritually discerned.

I'm not sure what you;re asking when you ask how I view the words of Jesus on this matter. If Jesus said it, all I can say is, it's the truth. ow how different people interpret those words may or may not be the truth. It would depend on the spiritual discernment we just talked about.
As for a prerequisite for receiving God's grace of salvation, that would be that we must first have faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God & his finished work on the cross & resurrection unto life again. No one with the Spirit of truth, true faith in Jesus Christ, Spiritual understanding, would ever reject the free gift of salvation. For if they truly understood & believed, then they would have God's spirit & would be incapable of refusing it.

I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently as I am still a student of the Lord & I learn something new every day. I am human & I do err but that's how I learn. I welcome your thoughts in review.

cherovis said:

Thank you for asking Taylor. You ask how the world comes to know the Spirit of truth. Jesus said in John 6:44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." Jesus is speaking again in John 14:17, "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." So we are called by God for His purpose according to His will. The world is incapable of understanding the things of God unless He Himself draw them. But, God is not blamed for the condemnation of man. Romans 1:19 "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them." 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" So God has made himself known to all men. Matthew 13:15 "For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." But the gospel is "hid from them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." --2 Corinthians 4:3-4 SO, yes. I believe the world is incapable of coming to Christ on their own & I believe the world cannot understand the gospel because it is hid from them & spiritually discerned.

I'm not sure what you;re asking when you ask how I view the words of Jesus on this matter. If Jesus said it, all I can say is, it's the truth. ow how different people interpret those words may or may not be the truth. It would depend on the spiritual discernment we just talked about.
As for a prerequisite for receiving God's grace of salvation, that would be that we must first have faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God & his finished work on the cross & resurrection unto life again. No one with the Spirit of truth, true faith in Jesus Christ, Spiritual understanding, would ever reject the free gift of salvation. For if they truly understood & believed, then they would have God's spirit & would be incapable of refusing it.

I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently as I am still a student of the Lord & I learn something new every day. I am human & I do err but that's how I learn. I welcome your thoughts in review.
Hello kind sir,
Actually, you haven't answered my question. But then perhaps I didn't ask it in the proper fashion.

As far as the scripture you quoted, please don't take this the wrong way, but your redaction is off. In short, you need to do a proper exegesis prior to your redaction. However, context might be a simplier way to interpret the scriptures you've quoted.

In short, I've always found it best to try and interpret the passages in their context, and then bring in historical data to try and hear the message as those it was originally written to.
From there, you take like scriptures and "redact" them. That's just a fancy name to say you take like scriptures to support others... oh yeah, and then you have your hermeneutics, but were really not there.

Again, I don't have a spirit of argumentation... not trying to ruffle feathers so I hope my words are well received, as they are well intended.

For the jist of my original point, I was thinking more on the lines of faith... because the Word of God needs a preacher to proclaim the Gospel. That aside, I believe the "spirit" woo's each and everyone of us and for those who have ears to hear, receive the good news. After all, "For God so loved the world..."

Hope this helps a little.

I will confess that I do not possess the elevated vocabulary or command of language that you appear to have. But I do have access to a dictionary. You say that you did not want to ruffle any feathers, but it seems you went out of your way to phrase & word your reply so as to belittle me by exalting yourself as being learned & wiser than I. I even like the way you define your choice words for me. How very thoughtful of you. But, Jesus said "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." --Matthew 12:25

PS - I'm a woman, not a sir.

I will confess that I do not possess the elevated vocabulary or command of language that you appear to have. But I do have access to a dictionary. You say that you did not want to ruffle any feathers, but it seems you went out of your way to phrase & word your reply so as to belittle me by exalting yourself as being learned & wiser than I. I even like the way you define your choice words for me. How very thoughtful of you. But, Jesus said "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." --Matthew 12:25

PS - I'm a woman, not a sir.

I am sorry to have called you a sir and I ask that you forgive me for causing you to feel small or belittled. Such was not my intent.

In lay mans words, I believe you have made the same mistake that I myself have made many times. The mistake is to take scripture out of its original context, this altering its original intent and then supporting said scripture with other passages with like content, but again a different intent. Combined as a whole, you've succeeded in validating your point, but at the cost of changing the original thrust / purpose / intent of the supporting passages.

I am not trying to sound smart and I am not trying to belittle you. I am guilty of the same thing, so I myself am no better

THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES US INTO ALL TRUTH?
THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES INSIDE OF US AND TEACHES US?

Those are not "yes or no" questions.

At one level, the answer is "Yes." That level includes the understanding Paul communicated to Timothy:
1Ti 3:15 ... the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth...

The Holy Spirit guides the Church into all truth. Spirit Filled individuals often get confused and mistake their own inner voice for the voice of the Spirit. That's why there are somewhere around 40,000 denominations, sects, factions, etc. who all believe that they have the truth from the Holy Spirit but who don't agree with each other on what the Spirit said.

Here's another concept to include before answering your "yes or No " questions: "For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints," (1Co 14:33)

Who is the author of confusion who has contrived to lead men and women into fracturing the Body of Christ into tens of thousands of pieces?

The truth is to be found in the church of the 7 great councils. IMHO

my 2 kopecks
iakov

Back