Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Acts 21:25

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

mcmurry

My men's bible study class is studying Acts. Last week was chapter 21, which in verse 25 mentions "... abstaining from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality."(NIV). We understand the last bit about sexual immorality, but we're not real sure about the rest of that verse. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Brother mcmurry, this is just a partial answer, but it is for the sake of our brethren we do not do some things also,
1Co 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
1Co 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other.

We are no longer under law, but we know certain things are taboo to some who are weak; especially those that were under the Old Covenant.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

Brother mcmurry, this is just a partial answer, but it is for the sake of our brethren we do not do some things also,
1Co 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

We are no longer under law, but we know certain things are taboo to some who are weak; especially those that were under the Old Covenant.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

Are you reading from that Episcopalian Bible again?

It's hard to find meat these days sacrificed to a good quality Idol.

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
(1Ti 4:4-5)

Then again, there is no idol that is high quality enough to even touch The word of God I speak over it, or the anointing on my life.

I agree that we are not under the law. Jesus did away with the law. We have no dietary restrictions. Blood is not food. This is a different matter.
Please read all of Acts chapter 15. Some Jewish Christians were having a hard time letting go of the law. They thought that Gentiles that became Christians should be circumcised. The matter was brought to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders. The holy spirit guided them in this matter and they wrote their decision in a letter and sent it to the congregation. This was their decision; they were not adding any further burden to the people meaning that the men didn’t have to become circumcised but the important thing was that they continue to abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.
So it is true that Christians are not under the law, but these things mentioned in the new testament are very important. The holy spirit directed the apostles to write a letter to the congregation to make sure that they refrained from these things. In this way they maintained a morally and spiritually clean standing with God. If this was not important it would not have been mentioned. Again blood is not a food source provided by God. The flesh of animals is a food source. Blood is very sacred. It is life giving. Not to be misused.

I agree that we are not under the law. Jesus did away with the law. We have no dietary restrictions. Blood is not food. This is a different matter.
Please read all of Acts chapter 15. Some Jewish Christians were having a hard time letting go of the law. They thought that Gentiles that became Christians should be circumcised. The matter was brought to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders. The holy spirit guided them in this matter and they wrote their decision in a letter and sent it to the congregation. This was their decision; they were not adding any further burden to the people meaning that the men didn’t have to become circumcised but the important thing was that they continue to abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.
So it is true that Christians are not under the law, but these things mentioned in the new testament are very important. The holy spirit directed the apostles to write a letter to the congregation to make sure that they refrained from these things. In this way they maintained a morally and spiritually clean standing with God. If this was not important it would not have been mentioned. Again blood is not a food source provided by God. The flesh of animals is a food source. Blood is very sacred. It is life giving. Not to be misused.
Hi dear Sister Leah781, your response is certainly food for thought, but to me the following verse shows there were no restrictions as pertaining to what we eat.
1 Cor 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
And being in Christ we should have no restrictions, but for the conscience of the unbeliever (1 Cor 10:28) we wouldn't eat if asked about it.

Hi dear Sister Leah781, your response is certainly food for thought, but to me the following verse shows there were no restrictions as pertaining to what we eat.
1 Cor 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
And being in Christ we should have no restrictions, but for the conscience of the unbeliever (1 Cor 10:28) we wouldn't eat if asked about it.

Do you drink Blood Eugene? Should we address you as Count Eugene? bla bla.......

If a believer considers blood sacred then so be it. We don't convince them otherwise by our faith.

Meat can be eaten raw if you like and still be clean if prepared Kosher. it normally involves rubbing with course salt to draw the blood and, soaked (room temperature) and make sure no blood from bones, cutting board so on touch the prepared meat.

all that said, the red stuff pooling up from a medium rare steak is called "Meat Juice" and most of it is another compound (They Say), not blood. The issue though is even though meat is Kosher, there was still found to be 0.3% blood left in the meat using scientific testing.

God does tell us what he means by no blood.

You don't catch something and start scarfing it down. Stuff still stuck in it's own hide.
But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
(Gen 9:4)

Something still living in it's skin, you don't chomp into.
Lev_17:14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

Spit that live bird out, drain the blood and cook it!!!!
Deu_12:23 Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

Pouring the blood out of the animal was clean enough.
Deu_15:23 Only thou shalt not eat the blood thereof; thou shalt pour it upon the ground as water.

My men's bible study class is studying Acts. Last week was chapter 21, which in verse 25 mentions "... abstaining from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality."(NIV). We understand the last bit about sexual immorality, but we're not real sure about the rest of that verse. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. KJV
The phrase in bold cannot be understood to include commands against murder, idolatry, adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, etc. All Gentiles must obey those commands. The phrase refers to the preceding events concerning the rituals involved in a Nazarite vow.

Eating things offered to idols, eating things with blood still in it, and eating things that were strangled were all prevalent practices among Gentiles in that day. In order to not hinder fellowship between Jewish and Gentile believers, only those four prohibitions were given to new Gentile converts until they learned the rest of Torah. That is why Acts 15:20-21 says:

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.​

The word "for" in verse 21 ties that verse with verse 20. Verse 21 gives the reason why only those four prohibitions were given. Because Moses is read every Sabbath day. The Gentiles, by hearing Moses read every Sabbath day, would eventually learn the rest of what Torah requires, but for now, they must obey at least those four Torah requirements.

In CONTEXT, verse 27 refers to eating meat sacrificed to idols.

1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:​

If a believer goes into a meat market or is invited to a feast, he should not be concerned about whether or not the meat was sacrificed to an idol. He definitely needs to be concerned about what kind of meat it was. Swine's flesh and other unclean meats are forbidden to all New Covenant believers.

It's hard to find meat these days sacrificed to a good quality Idol.

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
(1Ti 4:4-5)

Then again, there is no idol that is high quality enough to even touch The word of God I speak over it, or the anointing on my life.

The phrase I put in blue is extremely important. Where are edible meats sanctified by the Word of God? In Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. If a meat is not sanctified for food in those chapters, it is inedible and forbidden to be eaten no matter how much you pray over it.

The weaker brother is the one who refuses to eat any meat whatsoever, even if it is clean, because he thinks it may have become common for some reason (verse 14). The word "unclean" in verse 14 of the KJV is the Greek word for "common", not "unclean". The stronger brother will eat meat as long as it is clean meat. He does not consider certain meat as common as did the weaker brother.

The phrase I put in blue is extremely important. Where are edible meats sanctified by the Word of God? In Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. If a meat is not sanctified for food in those chapters, it is inedible and forbidden to be eaten no matter how much you pray over it.

You missed the part about Nothing to be refused, and being filled with the Power of the Holy Spirit, and full of faith, if I speak over any food that is edible, it is safe. Even if someone poisoned it before I speak over the food.

Where is your faith?

Mike.

Hi I just wanted to add that the prohibition against consuming blood predates the law covenant given to Moses. This is not something that only applied to those under the law.

Right after the global flood, when God first granted humans the right to eat animal flesh, he commanded Noah and his family: “Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul—its blood—you must not eat.”—Genesis 9:3, 4

God attached a highly important moral principle to blood. In pouring out all the blood that reasonably could be drained out of an animal, Noah and his descendants would show their respect for the fact that life was from and depended upon the Creator. Pouring out the blood was, in effect, returning the animal’s life to God. When God gave this law to the Israelites it was actually was an extension of the divine law given to Noah.

Leviticus 17:11-13 explains further what blood symbolizes to God. He says the life is in the blood. The only use that God allowed for blood was for it to be poured out on the altar for atonement. All animals that were to be consumed were to have their blood poured out. The command to ‘abstain from blood’ was not a mere dietary restriction but was a serious moral requirement, as is seen by the fact that it was as serious to Christians as ‘abstaining from idolatry or fornication.’

The only use that God allowed the Israelites to use blood for was pouring it out on the altar for atonement. This foreshadowed Jesus pouring out his blood for our sins so that we may have life. This is why blood is so important and why in Acts 15:28, 29it says. . .For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!. . .

Hi I just wanted to add that the prohibition against consuming blood predates the law covenant given to Moses. This is not something that only applied to those under the law.

Right after the global flood, when God first granted humans the right to eat animal flesh, he commanded Noah and his family: “Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul—its blood—you must not eat.”—Genesis 9:3, 4

God attached a highly important moral principle to blood. In pouring out all the blood that reasonably could be drained out of an animal, Noah and his descendants would show their respect for the fact that life was from and depended upon the Creator. Pouring out the blood was, in effect, returning the animal’s life to God. When God gave this law to the Israelites it was actually was an extension of the divine law given to Noah.

Leviticus 17:11-13 explains further what blood symbolizes to God. He says the life is in the blood. The only use that God allowed for blood was for it to be poured out on the altar for atonement. All animals that were to be consumed were to have their blood poured out. The command to ‘abstain from blood’ was not a mere dietary restriction but was a serious moral requirement, as is seen by the fact that it was as serious to Christians as ‘abstaining from idolatry or fornication.’

The only use that God allowed the Israelites to use blood for was pouring it out on the altar for atonement. This foreshadowed Jesus pouring out his blood for our sins so that we may have life. This is why blood is so important and why in Acts 15:28, 29it says. . .For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!. . .

Well that's it. No more cups of blood for me. It does predate the law, and tithing back to God what He has blessed you with also predates the law, which some don't understand.

Brother Mike
I don't eat Kosher steaks that I'm aware of, and so fess up that I must be guilty. I will admit I don't care for rare cooked meats, and have never had sushi.
I have not had my food prepared cooked with its entrails either, I have had sodden meat in stews, but I do not ask how it is prepared either.
1 Cor 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake. How will I not sin if I eat something strangled, and I'm not even Jewish?
Exo 12:9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof. :crying

Brother Mike
I don't eat Kosher steaks that I'm aware of, and so fess up that I must be guilty. I will admit I don't care for rare cooked meats, and have never had sushi.
I have not had my food prepared cooked with its entrails either, I have had sodden meat in stews, but I do not ask how it is prepared either.
1 Cor 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake. How will I not sin if I eat something strangled, and I'm not even Jewish?
Exo 12:9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof. :crying

I don't eat Kosher either, and to me it's a heart thing. Am I purposely drinking animal blood, and why? There was most likely some connection to thinking that drinking the blood of something may give you power of that thing. God was speaking to a very superstitious and confused people back then.

You missed the part about Nothing to be refused, and being filled with the Power of the Holy Spirit, and full of faith, if I speak over any food that is edible, it is safe. Even if someone poisoned it before I speak over the food.

Where is your faith?

Mike.

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. (1Ti 4:4-5)
"Nothing to be refused" "because it is sanctified by the Word". If it is not sanctified by the Word, it MUST be refused.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back