Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Alcohol in Heaven

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Ahhh....interesting topic!

Well the Bible does have a good bit to say about alcohol, in my opinion.

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions alcohol and the Bible are two passages in Proverbs.

It is first mentioned in 20:1:
Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

And more in depth later, in 23:
1 When you sit to dine with a ruler,
note well what [a] is before you,

2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

3 Do not crave his delicacies,
for that food is deceptive.

4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich;
have the wisdom to show restraint.

5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings
and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

6 Do not eat the food of a stingy man,
do not crave his delicacies;

7 for he is the kind of man
who is always thinking about the cost.
"Eat and drink," he says to you,
but his heart is not with you.

8 You will vomit up the little you have eaten
and will have wasted your compliments.

9 Do not speak to a fool,
for he will scorn the wisdom of your words.

10 Do not move an ancient boundary stone
or encroach on the fields of the fatherless,

11 for their Defender is strong;
he will take up their case against you.

12 Apply your heart to instruction
and your ears to words of knowledge.

13 Do not withhold discipline from a child;
if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

14 Punish him with the rod
and save his soul from death. [c]

15 My son, if your heart is wise,
then my heart will be glad;

16 my inmost being will rejoice
when your lips speak what is right.

17 Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD.

18 There is surely a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.

19 Listen, my son, and be wise,
and keep your heart on the right path.

20 Do not join those who drink too much wine
or gorge themselves on meat,

21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor,
and drowsiness clothes them in rags.

22 Listen to your father, who gave you life,
and do not despise your mother when she is old.

23 Buy the truth and do not sell it;
get wisdom, discipline and understanding.

24 The father of a righteous man has great joy;
he who has a wise son delights in him.

25 May your father and mother be glad;
may she who gave you birth rejoice!

26 My son, give me your heart
and let your eyes keep to my ways,

27 for a prostitute is a deep pit
and a wayward wife is a narrow well.

28 Like a bandit she lies in wait,
and multiplies the unfaithful among men.

29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?

30 Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.

31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!

32 In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.

33 Your eyes will see strange sights
and your mind imagine confusing things.

34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.

35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
They beat me, but I don't feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"

Also mentioned in Ephestions 5:18:
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

By these verses, I think that it is safe to say that it is a sin to indulge yourself with alcohol and get drunk. That much is clear.
Since Jesus Himself drank wine, I do not see anything wrong with drinking alcohol at all - unless you feel that it could be leading you into temptation, and in that case then it would be better not to put the temptation in front of you.
But if you know that you can control yourself with alcohol and know you can stop at 2 or 3 or whatever, then I, and I believe the Bible says it's OK.

I think Romans 14 can (yet again) come in here:
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' "[a] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

What I said above is kind of repeated in this passage, but this passage adds something else - that we must not casue our Christian brothers ( and I think sisters as well) to stumble. So if you know that a fellow Christian has a problem with alcohol and will stumble if they see you drinking alcohol, then don't! If you casue a brother to sin then you are as bad as the sinner!

My :twocents.

Don't let what man tells you get in the way of what the Bible says. this topic included. I know its hard for you to most likely grow up for 21 year in an environment that condemns use of alcohol. But if your pastor says one thing and Jesus says another, who is right ? :yes

so if marijuan is legalized should a christian smoke that as well? i never said that one shouldn't drink at all, but i have seen the MAJORITY of those who do drink often become drunk more than a few times, sure they're those that can handle that. but most cant.

a friend of mine who is in aa, puts it this way one is born an alcoholic and never knows that till he or she starts drinking. some are that way need to avoid that,

should we lower the drinking age according the chey rodeo then. when i joined the army that had just gotten rid of the beer dispensers(machines) in the chow hall, and the two beer a day rule was cancelled, why was it done away with, too many soldiers intoxicated while on duty.

sure it biblical to drink a few, but is it expendient? that is the million dollar question.

ChevyRodeo said:
Don't let what man tells you get in the way of what the Bible says. this topic included. I know its hard for you to most likely grow up for 21 year in an environment that condemns use of alcohol. But if your pastor says one thing and Jesus says another, who is right ? :yes
Was that directed at me?

Not getting overly involved here, and personally I choose to no longer drink and also for health reasons shouldnt even take cough medicine with alcohol in it, but I personally believe that it is excess drinking that is prohibited in Gods word.

Another point, however, is necessity.
In another culture in a another place far, far away, fermented drink may have been more commonly used by necessity than it is in this day and age in the modern world where we can have untainted water any time we'd like.

That said...

Drinking Wine
Wm Tipton

Assertions/Conclusions of this Article
To show that 'wine' in Gods word is fermented wine and that it is no 'sin' to drink it, but that the excess of drunkenness is where the sin lies.

We make no statement about who should or shouldnt drink at all, but it should be based on whether one can do it in faith knowing that it isnt sin, and that they arent previously substance abusers who may be predisposed to addiction.

Supporting Evidence
Firstly we determine that wine IS fermented.

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
(Eph 5:18 KJV)

This word is:
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); “wine†(literally or figuratively): - wine.
The statement 'be not DRUNK with WINE' shows us conclusively that it is FERMENTED wine that is being discussed. The statement has literally NO meaning unless the wine IS fermented.

Here we have Paul INSTRUCTION Timothy to not only drink water, but also to drink wine for his stomachs sake.

No longer drink water only, but use a little wine on account of your stomach, and your frequent illnesses.
1 Timothy 5:23
Its the same word as in the previous passage where it is conclusively shown that 'wine' IS fermented and can cause drunkeness.
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); “wine†(literally or figuratively): - wine.
So *IF* drinking wine is defined AS sin, Paul is willfully and purposefully instruction and causing Timothy to COMMIT sin.
Paul would surely do no such thing as to CAUSE another to sin or stumble.
The wine IS fermented and so it CANNOT be sinful simply to drink fermented wine.

Yet again....

Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
(1Ti 3:8 KJV)

*IF* any man wishes to be in leadership in the church he must not be given to MUCH wine. Notice it does not say 'he must not drink', but the wording MEANS what it very plainly states...that he cannot drink a lot...to excess.

MUCH
G4183
????? / ??????
polus / polos
Thayer Definition:
1) many, much, large
Part of Speech: adjective

WINE
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos

There should be an absolute prohibition here *IF* fermented wine is a problem.
And *IF* this was about grape juice the statement again makes no sense....who cares if a guy likes a lot of Welchs ?

We see the EXACT same thing said by Paul about older women...

Tit 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

Same words as before;

MUCH
G4183
????? / ??????
polus / polos
Thayer Definition:
1) many, much, large

WINE
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
*IF* this was about grape juice the statement again makes no sense...grape juice isnt going to hurt anyone. There would be NO sense in restriction consumption of UNfermented JUICE !
Yet the restriction is about MUCH wine...NOT an all out prohibition of it.

And once more...
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 1 Peter 4:3

G3632
??????????
oinophlugia
oy-nof-loog-ee'-ah
From G3631 and a form of the base of G5397; an overflow (or surplus) of wine, that is, vinolency (drunkenness): - excess of wine.
it is the EXCESS of wine that is condemned.
Cant very well have EXCESS if wine is entirely PROHIBITED, now can we...

jasoncran said:
sure it biblical to drink a few, but is it expendient? that is the million dollar question.

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."

Great point, Jason :)

mondar said:
Free said:
People are free to drink, that is clear, but what is the point? Honestly, there is only one reason I can think of as to why a Christian would want to drink, and that is to fit in, to not look like they're so different from the world.
Free, you have stated very well where I am. I agree that the scriptures lets some latitude on drinking. Yet when I look at drinking culture it comes with a lot of pretty rotten baggage. Its the excess, its the rotten baggage that sticks in my mind. I might have a slightly negative view since I have been exposed to too many sick and intoxicated people.

People of different Church traditions often have very different views on their right to drink. Did you ever hear the saying that wherever there are 4 Episcopalians you will find a 5th? The term teetotaler is nearly synonymous with the Baptist tradition. I chose to lead my family away from the drinking subculture into total sobriety. Taking a drink might not be a sin, but if you make it an issue in the Church I attend, or force the issue with me personally, well then I will be happy to dig my heals in.

Some might object to my church demanding abstinence in all leaders. But if you dont like it, go to the Episcopal Church.

I'm with you on this one .... I was an alcoholic. Started drinking around the age of 12 or 13. Odd that my stepfather, who was a dry alcoholic, got me started drinking wine, and thought it was funny when I got sick and threw up all over the place. Then he would hand me another bottle of wine, and tell me to drink some more ....

Alcohol nearly destroyed my life. I've seen thousands of people's lives and families destroyed by alcohol. I've been involved in numerous recovery programs -- Celebrate Recovery, God's Way Out, AA, missions and Nirvana. I've seen what alcohol does to many lives .... My grandfather and many of his brothers and sisters were alcoholics. Both of my stepfathers were alcoholics. Many of my friends were alcoholics. Many of my neighbors are alcoholics.

Drunks drivers kill thousands of people every year. One pastor I know was convicted of killing someone while he was driving. There are plenty of scriptures that speak to excess drinking of alcohol ... Should also look up all of those scriptures ....

I've chosen to take the pathway of total sobriety too. As I was riding my bicycle home today from WINCO, I stopped at one of the local AA meeting rooms, and had a good chat with one of the guys. I'll be visiting their meeting soon and sharing my story ....

Eze 44:21 Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.

Im an alcoholic and a Christian, I cant drink safely without getting drunk, therfore total abstinece is my only option.

That said, I believe Chistians are priests, of a royal Priesthood, and we have entered into the inner court permanetly. Therfore we shall not drink wine.

Beer is a brawler and wine is a mocker.

researcher said:
This is an excellent beer... I highly recommend. lol ;)

I like the illuminati pyramid and the name haywire. At least the enemy knows what he is doing huh? And he even shows off his colours the bottle.

The guy who started this thread should Go and start "whats my favourtite beer" thread and post graphics and we can study the satanic markings on each label.

Pictures of beer bottles should be off limits for the forum-IMHO.

As for Jesus drinking wine what proof is there in scripture that Jesus drank anything but "new" wine, that is, unfermented? Fermentation in the Bible is generally, not always, synonymous with sin.

Can someone please explain to me what fermented wine is?

(I"m underage, so I don't know these things :lol)

Panin said:
researcher said:

I like the illuminati pyramid and the name haywire. At least the enemy knows what he is doing huh? And he even shows off his colours the bottle.

The guy who started this thread should Go and start "whats my favourtite beer" thread and post graphics and we can study the satanic markings on each label.

If I bought into paranoid conspiracy theories I would be worried, but since I don't, I won't lose too much sleep over it, lol.

Nick_29 said:

Fermented wine is grape juice that is allowed to ferment and become alcohol.

researcher said:
Panin said:
researcher said:

If I bought into paranoid conspiracy theories I would be worried, but since I don't, I won't lose too much sleep over it, lol.

The bible tells us about a conspiracy. Not a theory, a fact. The information about the conspriacy that is unfolding, right in front of your eye right now is not forsale, but it is freely available should you ever decide to wake up and stop drinking beer and have a look around.

In the meant time have a nice sleep.

PS - Satan is useing the information that is available, before our very eyes to lead people to himself, including Christians, very very effectively. Christians ought to be doing likewise IE using this information to lead people to Christ. Its not a theory man, its happening.

Have any of you seen what people like Michael Tsarion, Jordan Maxwell and David Icke are doing in order to eradicate the bible in the minds of people, and in turn lead them to satan.

Have a look around mate, have a beer while your at it.

RND said:
Nick_29 said:

Fermented wine is grape juice that is allowed to ferment and become alcohol.
Ok,thankyou.

follower of Christ said:
Not getting overly involved here, and personally I choose to no longer drink and also for health reasons shouldnt even take cough medicine with alcohol in it, but I personally believe that it is excess drinking that is prohibited in Gods word.

Another point, however, is necessity.
In another culture in a another place far, far away, fermented drink may have been more commonly used by necessity than it is in this day and age in the modern world where we can have untainted water any time we'd like.

That said...

Drinking Wine
Wm Tipton

Assertions/Conclusions of this Article
To show that 'wine' in Gods word is fermented wine and that it is no 'sin' to drink it, but that the excess of drunkenness is where the sin lies.

We make no statement about who should or shouldnt drink at all, but it should be based on whether one can do it in faith knowing that it isnt sin, and that they arent previously substance abusers who may be predisposed to addiction.

Supporting Evidence
Firstly we determine that wine IS fermented.

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
(Eph 5:18 KJV)

This word is:
[quote:2zynp1c8] G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
The statement 'be not DRUNK with WINE' shows us conclusively that it is FERMENTED wine that is being discussed. The statement has literally NO meaning unless the wine IS fermented.

Here we have Paul INSTRUCTION Timothy to not only drink water, but also to drink wine for his stomachs sake.

No longer drink water only, but use a little wine on account of your stomach, and your frequent illnesses.
1 Timothy 5:23
Its the same word as in the previous passage where it is conclusively shown that 'wine' IS fermented and can cause drunkeness.
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
So *IF* drinking wine is defined AS sin, Paul is willfully and purposefully instruction and causing Timothy to COMMIT sin.
Paul would surely do no such thing as to CAUSE another to sin or stumble.
The wine IS fermented and so it CANNOT be sinful simply to drink fermented wine.

Yet again....

Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
(1Ti 3:8 KJV)

*IF* any man wishes to be in leadership in the church he must not be given to MUCH wine. Notice it does not say 'he must not drink', but the wording MEANS what it very plainly states...that he cannot drink a lot...to excess.

MUCH
G4183
????? / ??????
polus / polos
Thayer Definition:
1) many, much, large

WINE
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos

There should be an absolute prohibition here *IF* fermented wine is a problem.
And *IF* this was about grape juice the statement again makes no sense....who cares if a guy likes a lot of Welchs ?

We see the EXACT same thing said by Paul about older women...

Tit 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

Same words as before;

MUCH
G4183
????? / ??????
polus / polos
Thayer Definition:
1) many, much, large

WINE
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos
*IF* this was about grape juice the statement again makes no sense...grape juice isnt going to hurt anyone. There would be NO sense in restriction consumption of UNfermented JUICE !
Yet the restriction is about MUCH wine...NOT an all out prohibition of it.

And once more...
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 1 Peter 4:3

G3632
??????????
oinophlugia
oy-nof-loog-ee'-ah
From G3631 and a form of the base of G5397; an overflow (or surplus) of wine, that is, vinolency (drunkenness): - excess of wine.
it is the EXCESS of wine that is condemned.
Cant very well have EXCESS if wine is entirely PROHIBITED, now can we...[/quote:2zynp1c8]
Nice post, FoC. :thumb

Panin said:
The bible tells us about a conspiracy. Not a theory, a fact. The information about the conspriacy that is unfolding, right in front of your eye right now is not forsale, but it is freely available should you ever decide to wake up and stop drinking beer and have a look around.

In the meant time have a nice sleep.

PS - Satan is useing the information that is available, before our very eyes to lead people to himself, including Christians, very very effectively. Christians ought to be doing likewise IE using this information to lead people to Christ. Its not a theory man, its happening.

Have any of you seen what people like Michael Tsarion, Jordan Maxwell and David Icke are doing in order to eradicate the bible in the minds of people, and in turn lead them to satan.

Have a look around mate, have a beer while your at it.

Pass

RND said:
Pictures of beer bottles should be off limits for the forum-IMHO.

As for Jesus drinking wine what proof is there in scripture that Jesus drank anything but "new" wine, that is, unfermented? Fermentation in the Bible is generally, not always, synonymous with sin.

Luk 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

Luk 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

Wine - Websters
1 a : the alcoholic fermented juice of fresh grapes used as a beverage

Wine
G3631
?????
oinos
oy'-nos

H3196
???
yayin
yah'-yin
From an unused root meaning to effervesce; wine (as fermented); by implication intoxication: - banqueting, wine, wine [-bibber].

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back