Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Alternative Swear Words?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
My short time rebellious state...
.:bigfrown

I stopped swearing at age 22 cold turkey.. one of those sad but funny family stories...

I was getting reading to go some place like all moms of toddlers the bathroom door is hardly ever shut... Doing my hair, makeup all that girl stuff.. Junior, is setting on the steps watching me, and i could keep an eye on him.. He had is sweet little chin craddled in his hands and his elbows on his skinned up knees... What he had to say marked me....
O my mommie you are so beautiful
O my mommie you are so pretty
O my mommie you look just like a bas___d!
Hearing my little guy say that word, a word I used often broke my heart. I stoped that kind of language....
I have had a few bumps along the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it depend on the circumstances? Okay, you live in the country, your closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, nobody is at home except you, and you're building a deck on your home. Then it happens. You hit your thumb with the hammer. If you let out a flurry of expletives, is it sinful or just an expression of anger, frustration, embarrassment, and sorrow all rolled into one?

Well, the Bible is God's Word and it plainly states that God sees everything we do. It also says that we're not to spread perversity with our mouth.

Growing up, I recall an elderly Christian lady that went to our church. Every time something terrible happened to her, like breaking her hip, she would just praise the Lord and thanking Him because she didn't suffer a worse injury. Something to think about, since we are to be thankful of the Lord for all things in our life.

Besides the occasional slip, I really don't swear. Having said that, there's nothing inherently wrong with secular swear words, is there? I'm thinking about that great movie "Good Will Hunting" which is set in Boston where the big one seems to be woven into their culture. Even if that isn't a true depiction of Boston, it makes my point. If "the big one" is just a word used in every day conversation, without anger, malice, contempt or defiance, is it really sinful to say?

These are just man-made words that have come to be frowned upon by our societies, unlike using the Lord's Name with contempt. We shouldn't use them for that reason out of respect for others, but if no one's around, and our hearts are not in a bad place, are they really bad to say? I don't think so.

I don't say them, and I try not to use alternatives, because usually there will be unchecked emotions behind them, which isn't good to start with.

yeah im the same way. Something i overlook in my life. I would think that there shouldn't be any alternative words to swear. Alternatives are approximations which alternatively have the same meaning. I think it has to do with control, put your faith in god and pray about it morning and night.

Private Jet! :thumbsup

About 1956 i ate ivory soap for saying 'heck' so i went out to the trap door where the little frogs were and said 'heck' to them for about ever...

Swearing or ugly words make folks look small. I use the term B_, but i never would use the full words! they are that different to me...

I never heard much slang and NEVER a swear word from Dad... Yes dad was a pastor but he also worked full time in the woods falling timber.... A ruff bunch of guys .... they talked ugly, dad held to his convictions. They tested him for a while poked fun at him made sure they told the dirty jokes in ear shot... they learned to respect and appreciate him. They got to the point of remembering to pick him up a Pepsi when they got beer. :) and calling on him when in need....

The new you:thumbsup
Long :biggrin

Well, the Bible is God's Word and it plainly states that God sees everything we do. It also says that we're not to spread perversity with our mouth.
<O:tongue</O:tongue

I wonder though…is it the words we say or the thought/meaning behind them? Until we attach a meaning to them, audible words are nothing more than uttered sounds of varying frequencies put together in a particular sequence. The wind whistling through the right apparatus could produce these sounds or even electrical pulses can do it as in electronic text-to-speech systems. These sounds are meaningless until two people, or one person and God, are there to produce, hear, interpret, project, and take meaning from them. In this respect, not saying what we think doesn't relieve us of the guilt does it? If someone hurts me and I respond to myself by cussing them under my breath in my mind, it's as bad as if I had said it verbally, isn't it?

When dogs bark some of the sounds they make can mimic what we interpret as words. Does that mean they are consciously talking to us? So what if these sounds mimic cuss words? <O:tongue</O:tongue
So, if I’m all alone and cry out with sounds that have similarities with accepted vulgar language without malice toward anyone, is it sinful? Or, does it become sinful when I use those words to cuss or upset God or another human being? Look up a vulgar word on Mirriam-Webster online dictionary and play the audible for it. When you do, does this mean your computer is swearing at you and therefore committing a sinful act? No, because it is incapable of experiencing the meaning behind the word and therefore you won’t take it in a derogatory sense either. At that moment it is just a sound.<O:tongue</O:tongue
Personally, I try to avoid using vulgar words and phrases in all situations including the hammer and thumb incident because in my life I have found that they can become habit-forming and as Pard mentioned, you get to where you use them without thought or realization, which can lead to unknowingly upsetting or even cussing others or God not to mention the image it projects about one’s self. <O:tongue</O:tongue

Besides the occasional slip, I really don't swear. Having said that, there's nothing inherently wrong with secular swear words, is there? I'm thinking about that great movie "Good Will Hunting" which is set in Boston where the big one seems to be woven into their culture. Even if that isn't a true depiction of Boston, it makes my point. If "the big one" is just a word used in every day conversation, without anger, malice, contempt or defiance, is it really sinful to say?

These are just man-made words that have come to be frowned upon by our societies, unlike using the Lord's Name with contempt. We shouldn't use them for that reason out of respect for others, but if no one's around, and our hearts are not in a bad place, are they really bad to say? I don't think so.

I don't say them, and I try not to use alternatives, because usually there will be unchecked emotions behind them, which isn't good to start with.

I wonder though…is it the words we say or the thought/meaning behind them? Until we attach a meaning to them, audible words are nothing more than uttered sounds of varying frequencies put together in a particular sequence. The wind whistling through the right apparatus could produce these sounds or even electrical pulses can do it as in electronic text-to-speech systems. These sounds are meaningless until two people, or one person and God, are there to produce, hear, interpret, project, and take meaning from them. In this respect, not saying what we think doesn't relieve us of the guilt does it? If someone hurts me and I respond to myself by cussing them under my breath in my mind, it's as bad as if I had said it verbally, isn't it?

When dogs bark some of the sounds they make can mimic what we interpret as words. Does that mean they are consciously talking to us? So what if these sounds mimic cuss words? <O:tongue</O:tongue
So, if I’m all alone and cry out with sounds that have similarities with accepted vulgar language without malice toward anyone, is it sinful? Or, does it become sinful when I use those words to cuss or upset God or another human being? Look up a vulgar word on Mirriam-Webster online dictionary and play the audible for it. When you do, does this mean your computer is swearing at you and therefore committing a sinful act? No, because it is incapable of experiencing the meaning behind the word and therefore you won’t take it in a derogatory sense either. At that moment it is just a sound.<O:tongue</O:tongue
Personally, I try to avoid using vulgar words and phrases in all situations including the hammer and thumb incident because in my life I have found that they can become habit-forming and as Pard mentioned, you get to where you use them without thought or realization, which can lead to unknowingly upsetting or even cussing others or God not to mention the image it projects about one’s self. <O:tongue</O:tongue

Our Lord Jesus Christ said this in Matthew:

"Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things." (Matthew 12:33-35)

James wrote this in his epistle.

For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. ... But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh. (James 3:2-12)

In Paul's letter to the Galatians he agreed with Jesus and James.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)

Swearing shows the condition of our hearts.

So, some may know I have a bit of a swearing issue and I'm adamant to fix this now. The Bible is pretty clear that swearing isn't cool and I get it. My question is, if swearing is a condition of the heart (Luke 6:45), does that mean that saying "darn", "fudge", "shoot", "snap", and other words and phrases that take the place of a swear are just as bad? Or does God recognize that there is a difference and that you are striving to not use historically offensive words?

Oh and if anyone wants to share some of their funny alternatives, feel free. I need some good material if I am gonna over come this relatively difficult task!

I would try to break the habit completely, rather than using subsitute "swear" words. I think that would be easier and quicker.

Part of my point is that whether your words are substitute or the real McCoy, using them for the same purpose and for the same reason give the words the same meaning. If I substitute the word "flower" in place of a cuss word, it makes no difference if in my heart I am uttering the cuss word. It's only appearance that is affected but not the heart.

So, some may know I have a bit of a swearing issue and I'm adamant to fix this now. The Bible is pretty clear that swearing isn't cool and I get it. My question is, if swearing is a condition of the heart (Luke 6:45), does that mean that saying "darn", "fudge", "shoot", "snap", and other words and phrases that take the place of a swear are just as bad? Or does God recognize that there is a difference and that you are striving to not use historically offensive words?

Oh and if anyone wants to share some of their funny alternatives, feel free. I need some good material if I am gonna over come this relatively difficult task!
I have a problem with this too so am interested in the answers you get

I want to say there used to be laws against using foul language and even using the name of the Lord in vain, so, people started using minced words to get around the law. Here are a few examples that carry on the tradition of using minced words: Jiminy Cricket, by golly, gesh, dagnamit, by George, Crikey, figs, good grief, holy spit, what in sam hill. Using minced words is a form of legalism, because you can say you didn't say the bad word, but the sentiment is still there.

- Davies

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. Okay maybe this one isn't good considering what it is replacing, but regardless....kind of funny what becomes an alternative for swears these days...:chin

shut_the_front_door_kchen.gif

Alright! Now it's my turn to take this subject for a spin. :)

First I will say that I grew up with two Very loveing and Godly parents, who would spend great amounts of time learning from the bible, other believers, books, pastors and God in an effort to strengthen their understanding and relationship with Him and pass it on to my brothers and me.
In saying that, I do agree with Most, but not all, of what has been said so far in reguards to cussing being wrong and WHY. I think the Why's behind things are extremely important.
The first being Matthew 12:33-35 that CalledToServe posted above.
But that's not the only reason why we shouldn't use curse words or other words with the same intent.
We as believers, followers of Christ and children of God are called to be DIFFERENT than the world around us.

1 Timothy 4:12 "Do not anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity"
I don't know about you, but I dont want to hear curse words from the mouths of children, the historical and biblical symbol of purity and innocence.

Moving on to substitutes. Personally I am a very mild mannered person, as far as anger goes. I grew up never cussing and I plan to continue that. I do use words and phrases that are seen as substitutes for the cuss words because they are used so frequently and casually now days and I wonder, often, if people simply are uneducated and just don't know any other words to use.

Although the truth of the matter is (as I see it) that in using substitutes, it is the feeling behind them that matters. A lot of times I will use funny, random or nonsensical phrases to make a bad (or painfull in the case of hammer on finger or trip and fall) situation better, or lighter, than what it is in an effort to either, make myself feel better or distracted from it, or make it less of a big deal and more of a comedic moment for myself and to those around me. Then there is always the added bonus of the strange looks you will recieve when you come up with weird things like "jumpin cow fries".:silly

Something I also read once, and quite frankly agree with, is that people will use curse word as words of empowerment, intimidation or passsion. They think, or feel, that they need to make themselves seem more like they have some measure of power over you or the situation, or even themselves if they are overwhelmed and sometimes only in an effort to seem more "Grown Up" or "Cool".

Basically what I am saying is that, No, I don't think that using "Substitutes" is wrong AS LONG AS the intent or feeling behind them is innocent.
Admittedly, I have come close to useing curse words in casual situations for no other reason than that I am surrounded by them daily and they seep into my brain. From the members of the Credit Union I work at, conversations of other people when I am in the store and from some friends who don't have the same views on curseing as I do.

I guess I'll get off of my soap box now :oops

I will first say that I am guilty of cursing...though not so much anymore and not before my senior year of high school...

BUT one thing my parents told me about cursing that I used as a motivation to not curse (and this is not an insult to those on here who curse...I think it was more a parenting technique...that worked!) was:

"The kids that choose to cuss are probably the ones that aren't smart enough to think of a different word to use."

I thought as a youngin': "I'm smart! So I better not do that..." :lol

Very nice Navigator! That was actually the phrase that was swimming around in my head when I was typing thoughts on the matter. haha :)

We as believers, followers of Christ and children of God are called to be DIFFERENT than the world around us.

I think this is a very good point that can't be understated. This is one of the ways a Christian can separate him/herself by not doing something that the world does. People notice when they've been around you enough, and I really think it negates from your testimony when you use that kind of mouth. Even if your heart is in good condition, and a word is not inherently sinful, it's something that can send the wrong message.

We always need to be aware of how our behavior is viewed by others. We know we're not perfect, and we know it is by the Grace of God that we are marked by Him, but this isn't so easy to explain to unbelievers who watch us. Right or wrong, we're held to a higher standard than the rest of the world. It's something that we should be able to control, and so we should do it.

Nice post, Chicadee. :yes

"We always need to be aware of how our behavior is viewed by others"....and by God.

yeah im the same way. Something i overlook in my life. I would think that there shouldn't be any alternative words to swear. Alternatives are approximations which alternatively have the same meaning. I think it has to do with control, put your faith in god and pray about it morning and night.

Aww man, me too. Its extra hard for me cause im a teen and a high school student and am surrounded by swearing, its ridiculous. I try so hard not to but then it just comes out and as soon as i say it i regret it

The worst time it happened to me was when i was Evangalising to an atheist friend at school, i felt soooo stupid after i said it.....in my mind i was like "OMG! How did i just use that word while trying to preach the word of God". I was soooo disappointed in myself and quite frankly a little embarrassed :crying4

Back