Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

An honest question

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is more a general religion question, but how do you deal with people who try and change your belief? Now this may seem like the cruel question on the christian forum form the semi-christian kid but everyone at some point has some person from another religion (or not a religion) come along and try and change the way you think, or your beliefs on a matter or anything to do with religion. Probably some of you reading this question have had some arrogant, annoying, extremely nasty atheist come along (some of them are the worst people iev ever met) and try and change your mind. So im just wondering from a general point of view how do you deal with this without being extremely mean to the person or attacking their views?

With great difficulty but if they're really going for it, chances are there are other things going on e.g. they've experienced a version of Christianity that's affected them badly

Unfortunatley I can relate that, iev had some very strong Christians try and convert me, hence this thread. And unfortunately it got to the point were I had to just "blow them out of the water" which is something I don't want to do as I think that you should be able to believe what ever you want unless it does not make you treat people who don't believe what you so poorly.

This is more a general religion question, but how do you deal with people who try and change your belief? how do you deal with this without being extremely mean to the person or attacking their views?

I like your attitude about not being mean or attacking them. That's very mature and many older christians don't consider this.
I don't know how old you are or they are and it does make a difference. If they are christian, a cult that says their christian, or a non-believer. This makes a difference too.
You say you are a semi-christian therefore I would suggest that you do not get into a discussion with them at all. You can be kind and just change the subject. You can kindly tell them that you don't want to discuss God with them. That they have stated their views and you just don't want anymore. Firmly stated.
However, if you are living with christian parents or go to church or Bible studies you could invite them to go with you or meet your parents. They may not be as firm in their beliefs as the seem. They may be seeking, they may be afraid.
Let us know how you work this out.
Oh and before you talk to them again. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and He will. He says not to be concerned about what we will say He will give us the knowledge and words we need. He will give you wisdom for everything situation. God Bless

And are you a Semi-christian or a Non-christian?
You say you are both.

This is more a general religion question, but how do you deal with people who try and change your belief? Now this may seem like the cruel question on the christian forum form the semi-christian kid but everyone at some point has some person from another religion (or not a religion) come along and try and change the way you think, or your beliefs on a matter or anything to do with religion. Probably some of you reading this question have had some arrogant, annoying, extremely nasty atheist come along (some of them are the worst people iev ever met) and try and change your mind. So im just wondering from a general point of view how do you deal with this without being extremely mean to the person or attacking their views?

I've never had a problem with it. I don't think anyone has ever had their opinion changed by someone else. Some may be vulnerable to the opinions of others, but ultimately they are simply agreeing or disagreeing based on what they themselves desire. I like opinionated people. They are important. We all need to have our views tested.

It depends on how strong you are in your beliefs/faith. If you are not sure then keep an open mind and discern for yourself. I was in a denominational church for 47 years and was converted last year. I listened and studied for myself...nobody can change my beliefs now. I do not push it on others either but when I meet people they know I am a Christian and ask what faith I am. Then I will tell them what faith I am and why. It is actually very simple if you read the bible....God does not require a degree or a doctrine, he actually made it very simple, man confuses it. It takes only one book and that is the bible.

Mostly its 1 of 3 reasons a person might want to change another person's views ( this can actually apply to almost any view really).

The first is the most common, we as humans tend to be a tad ego centric. We here somethig or learn something that impacts our lives and helps us grow and we want to share it with other people so they can grow and impact their lives as well. This applies to people of any religion or philosophical view.

Think about a time when you heard something that made amazing sense to you, did you not want to share it? Was it not personal? Were you maybe a tad annoyed when people told you it wasn't real and that you were wrong? That is the same mindset many Atheists and Christians feel about their views and beliefs.

The second is mostly just arogance. It relates the first one in that we are ego centric, but this is usually different because the person has shut down listening and just wants to tell others what to think. Is usually a power trip or the person relies so much on their current belief that they don't want to even allow the possibility that they could be wrong. So they lash out. Its insecurity and a tad immature. Its really common on the internet and I think most of us have met people of this mindset. An Example I could give is Ray Comfort. Sure, he is a Christian, but he has also been shown to be wrong so many time about basic information he presents. That would be a classic case.

The third is a little less common but they do exist. Some people just enjoy conversation and challenging their beliefs and the beliefs of others to grow and learn more. The person may not really have a goal to actually change your beliefs, but questions and drills a person for the pure sake of curiosity and interest.

I hope that helps. :)

I listen politely, ask a few questions, and maybe engage them in conversation for awhile. It usually ends with my telling them I have my own faith, and will be glad to talk with them about it they want.

It usually ends with a handshake and our wishing blessings on each other. So far, I haven't had to deal with any really obnoxious atheists, or really obnoxious anyone else, for that matter.

Ok well thanks for the replys :) by semi Christian I mean I was brought up in a family with two Christian parents but early went to church and they weren't very fundamental Christians. And so there wasn't any pressure, so I basicly ended up being partially christian by beleiving in god and jesus but not quite in the normal way, and I study a lot of scientific subjects at school so I don't believe in creationism or Noah ect. The majority of people who attack me are unfortunately Christian trolls (there's some in every relgion:/)as I spend a lot of time in a lot forums were ear attacks from all sides happen and it has happened a few times in person (damn doorknockers XD)

Many people confuse the cults with true Christianity. Cults spend more time knocking on doors trying to convert people than Christians, so that is likely who you have encountered So it would be pretty easy to say I'm not interested, thank you, and shut the door. Many cultists are trying to earn their way to status in both heaven and in their church by knocking on doors.
The people who have approached me or called me about true faith in Christ as the Messiah have been very concerned for me and were not offensive. The only exception was one that looked down on all of those people that did not comply with their man made laws (which are not found in the Bible). When people are really rude and obnoxious I just politely say that I am very sorry but I am going to have to ask you to leave. One cult even considers this an honor badge to be asked to leave.

I don't mind when people who try to convert me. I'm flattered, actually. They're doing it because they want me to enjoy what they have. (Sorry, except for Atheists, whom I regard as relatively miserable, and misery loves company. They don't try so much to get me to enjoy what they have, but to reject what I have.)

You can just be friendly. Why do you have to "deal with it"?

Yes I guess it is sort of flatering in that way :tongue but after a puppy jumps on your lap trying to be cute and affectionate for the 20th time it gets annoying :/. True atheists can be extremely abnoxious but you can't get angry at them, they ate just following the most logical path and get confused if you try and bend logic,m somewhere between atheist and Christian as I said before I fill the unexplainable gaps of science with god in logical by mixing god with scientific fact and theorys in ways to better explain the universe :) but am completely fine with people believing whatever they want even if it doesn't agree with me, unless they are forceful or hostile about my beliefs.

Yes I guess it is sort of flatering in that way :tongue but after a puppy jumps on your lap trying to be cute and affectionate for the 20th time it gets annoying :/. True atheists can be extremely abnoxious but you can't get angry at them, they ate just following the most logical path and get confused if you try and bend logic,m somewhere between atheist and Christian as I said before I fill the unexplainable gaps of science with god in logical by mixing god with scientific fact and theorys in ways to better explain the universe :) but am completely fine with people believing whatever they want even if it doesn't agree with me, unless they are forceful or hostile about my beliefs.
I would say this about the "true faith" that no one can force the "true gospel" on anyone else! Its like falling in love, its a matter of the hearts desire! We see that which our heart desires and are drawn to that:) CHRIST JESUS

Also since the name of the thread is "an honest question" Why would one come to a "Christian Forum" and not expect to find some who would try to convert them?:) Its kinda part of our faith to present Christ to others:thumbsup

Exactly, its your heart and minds desire :). I know seems odd that I came on a Christian forum asking this and expecting not one person trying to converrt me but I did kind of expect it, but I failed to rnd a forum called "the religion forum" and if it did, I could only imagine the monsterous storm of abuse being thrown at everyone from every angle. And besides I already had an account on here because of previous question I asked of a Christian community.

Also I can't be converted, to do that it would trying to tell w windows computer to run as a Macqithout wiping out its memory, who it is firstly.

hahaha ok ok i get the point XD and very well played sir,

But really there is no point trying it on me, and besides im basicly a neutral mix so im not annoying anyone (that much), so lets get back to the question =P

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back