Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Another simple math

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
this giant stuff equates to zero? :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

Yeah guess why I did felt trolled. All the stuff below the biggest fraction line turns out to equal 1. So it could have been left out. After noticing that I felt like a zoo animal doing tricks for classik's amusement and thus refused to calculate the rest of the equation. :hysterical

But yeah, Mathguy is right, it's zero.

Yeah guess why I did felt trolled. All the stuff below the biggest fraction line turns out to equal 1. So it could have been left out. After noticing that I felt like a zoo animal doing tricks for classik's amusement and thus refused to calculate the rest of the equation. :hysterical

But yeah, Mathguy is right, it's zero.

Someone bought it. :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

That's unfair...

OK Help, I'm really confused, seriously.

1+(1+1/4)(1+1)-13/8

1+(5/8)(2)-13/8

1+1=1???

Also the 1+1 was the divisor so to multiply wouldn't you need to multiply by the inverse 1/2?

Sorry, it should have been
1 + (1+1/4)/(1+1) - 13/8.
I accidentally left out the division sign before the (1+1). This then gives
1 + (5/4)/2 - 13/8
1 + 5/8 - 13/8

Sorry, it should have been
1 + (1+1/4)/(1+1) - 13/8.
I accidentally left out the division sign before the (1+1). This then gives
1 + (5/4)/2 - 13/8
1 + 5/8 - 13/8

thanks, I thought so but just the same when I first did the problem before I saw your's I messed up. I forgot that the 1+1/4 and the should be combined as a mixed number first and came up with -3/8!!!

@ Deborah: Best reason for a delete I've ever read!

thats_hilarious_magnet-p147097103626785678bfnhv_400.jpg

I've had a couple that I should have given that reason for deleting ...

PEMDAS always applies.
Nope. If there are no functional definitions, PEMDAS does not apply. Not in the real, practical world of mathematics. Maybe in the ethereal world of the classroom, but if they give the answers they gave in the classroom in a airframe design project, for example, they'll be deadly wrong -- literally.

Nope. If there are no functional definitions, PEMDAS does not apply. Not in the real, practical world of mathematics.

Are you really sure about that? I'm a math and computer science major and I've seen a bunch of books on related subjects like physics and chemistry, and I can't imagine anywhere where PEMDAS doesn't apply. It's practically part of the definition of multiplication and addition. Most of engineering derives from these other subjects, so I don't see why they would change the order of operations. (I also did a little searching on google, and while I couldn't find anything definitive, at least a couple pages implied that certain fields of engineering use it.) Admittedly I have done almost nothing in engineering, but I'm kind of shocked at the idea that they wouldn't use PEMDAS. I'm not even completely sure what you do without an order of operations: do you just go left-to-right?

Are you really sure about that? I'm a math and computer science major and I've seen a bunch of books on related subjects like physics and chemistry, and I can't imagine anywhere where PEMDAS doesn't apply.
Well, my aviation engineering degree is from 1979, courtesy of the US Army, which I never used other than to help redesign the Apache helicopter (all in all, a quite successful undertaking --- its what you get when the pilots design the aricraft) so I'm rusty and perhaps out of date, but not that much. I was taught then, and believe it is still the guideline, that if there are no functional criteria in the equation such as parentheses or other dictates, PEMDAS can't apply because there is no defining criteria indicating some function should precede another. The equation is worked left to right. Period. Now, did I ever see a non-functionary equation those many years ago? No. Without fail (to be the best of my recollection) the equations always had functionary guidelines. I'll admit that, having been away from it for a long time, things could have changed. But I believe it is still valid today to say that if you have nothing but a left-to-right series of functions, you work the functions in order. Every time.

Back