Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Anyone know anything about the NIV 2011?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ElainaMor

Sorry if I'm posting this question on the wrong board but I wasn't sure where to post it.

Is anyone hear familiar with the NIV 2011, by that I mean actually read it. I've read about the controversy surrounding it and have compared it to other translations but since I'm not a scholar I really don't know if this translation is accurate/reliable. Seems most of what I read about the controversy over the NIV 2011 is rather reactionary and based on just what they've heard about it.

I'm considering buying a hard copy of the NIV but I don't want to waste my money if it really is an untrustworthy translation. A friend of mine mentioned that the NLT has the same gender-nuetral language in it but no one complains about it. I don't know if that is true or not but if it is why would people be ok with the NLT but not the NIV. Thanks for any help.

The NIV 2011 changes the Holy Spirit from He, to something else. The Word He was added by the translators anyway. The writers of the NIV were not fans of the Trinity Creed. Aside from that the KJV twisted a few things around to support Trinity and used the 3rd edition of the accepted text with the added junk in it. they should have used the 2nd edition.

Some support the Holy Spirit being a "She" or the female side of God. Wisdom, comfort, never speaks of "her" own but only what "she" hears.

They have a decent argument, but I believe if it was important to know that then it would have been clear in concept and not just how you break down Geek and Hebrew.

So you have 2 bibles that move things around a bit to support their interpretation of the Word. I think it would be very hard to find a bible that does not reflect the writers personal beliefs. We have the Holy Spirit to teach us anyway, so it's probably a "OK" Translation though I use the KJV.

Mike.

[MENTION=96728]Joy4Him[/MENTION] in case you haven't seen it, there is a discussion about Bible translations here in which Lewis has several informative posts on the merits of various bible translations, including the NIV.

I think we tend to have that one version that speaks most to us... and that is the one that we should read. As I mentioned on the other thread, when it comes to hardcore study for right doctrine, I think the KJV and NASB are better... but the best bible translation in the world won't do much good if it just sits on the shelf. If one truly likes the NIV, then one should use it, but when studying, take the time to compare the texts with more literal translations.

NIV 11 is very much like TNIV so if you don't like the TNIV you won't like the NIV 11. Both translation are inclusive translations.

I don't know anything about then TNIV, never heard of it before. I'm trying to figure out if the inclusive language used in the NIV makes it an inaccurate translation or is it just as reliable as any other translation.

NIV 11 is very much like TNIV so if you don't like the TNIV you won't like the NIV 11. Both translation are inclusive translations.

I don't know anything about then TNIV, never heard of it before. I'm trying to figure out if the inclusive language used in the NIV makes it an inaccurate translation or is it just as reliable as any other translation.
In one sense, changing the wording is inaccurate to what was actually written, and that is most peoples' complaint against inclusive language. But in another sense, it is more accurate to what was actually meant by the authors, provided the changes were only instances where the authors meant to be inclusive.

lol. niv. the NICK International Version. if it has an audio version it will have that aussie slang to it. lol. seriously its good to compare bibles from time to time.

[MENTION=96728]Joy4Him[/MENTION]:

Often it's good if the translator errs on the conservative side of interpretation: for example, if in the original there are explicit, distinctive markers, then it would be less than honest to obscure them in order supposedly to bring them into line with fashionable sensibilities of today.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back