Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

are Christians happier?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is one of those topics that require introspection. I'm certain that people looking on would say that I am not the happy go lucky man I was with a mike in my face and a guitar hung on my shoulder. I would guzzle down the alcohol and sleep with whoever but I never could find contentment. Contentment is not happy, it is what the scriptures call Joy. Joy, by a very long stretch, out weighs happy.

When I would get happy for a moment I would have received some thing, not

me again. some of these replies have made me stop and think things over.

I think being Born Again also makes on rethink "happiness." I do think I'm happier as a Christian than I ever was before Christ. Part of that is change in outlook, part of it is God's direct work in my life, and part of it seems to be that The Lord has changed me, so I make more morally-sound decisions+life choices.

But, yeah; re-thinking happiness. For me, now, its not about peer approval (as much...), its not about being "cool" (getting to and beyond 25 also helped a lot with that, to be honest...), and its not so much even about being conventional or "normal" per se. I think I'm happier in Christ than I ever was on the wrong side of The Cross because I can accept Real Life better, more completely. Part of that is general maturation, part of that I think is that Christianity, as the one true faith, helps me see life for what it really is (wise as serpents, innocent as doves...) and think+act accordingly.

We have to do more and build the world in goodness and support and help each other and the lost. Let the light shine in this world people need to know there are people they can talk too about anything without fail and judgement. Look out for you friends, look out for others. One heart. One Love. One People.

Last edited:
Putting aside the meaning of happiness I think the answer is yes and no.

I know of many beleivers who are so miserable and not happy at all.
They have no peace or contentment.

The reasons are many fold.

The main reason is because they do not know who and what they are Christ.

That can arise from many causes, from life experiences and damaged emotions to fellow believers who place heavy burdens upon them.

It can also arise from faulty theology and doctrines.

Things like if you want Gods love/blessings you must do this, read your bible every day and the list goes on, basically legalism.

If the focus of a believer is on doing rather then being it takes the focus of Christ.
When we lose our focus on Christ and what he has done then turmoil prevails.

Jesus came to reveal the Father and his love for us. Even in our sin he died for us.
The reason was not for sin management but for relationship.

When we seek Jesus for relationship he walks with us talks with us.
As a result we see love, acceptance, significance.

Then we are happier/content even if we fail, we know he loves us, if we need provision we know he will provide.

Just my limited thoughts.

One thing to think of also, is does God want us to be happy?

I think I've heard a preacher ask that question before and then say he couldn't find a yes in the Bible.
What about...

John 8:32
Mathew 11:30
John 10:10b
Mathew 13:44

there are more...

dirtfarmer here

I am not sure that believers are to be "happy". Scripture states that " Godlinesss with contentment is great gain". How can a person be truly happy if they are away from home? As believers our citizenship is in heaven. We are content that one day we will be with our savior and we find contentment in that fact.
Hi Dirtfarmer

I like to say that there's a difference between being happy and being joyful.
Happy is temporary - it's the smell of a new car.
Joy is everlasting - it's knowing that we're friends with the Creator.

Like you said, we could find contentment in knowing that one we'll see Him face to face.

However, we cannot say that God wants us to be sad either...

my best guess is that your average Christian is more content and "happy" in that sense than your average person in and of the world. But...

...have you ever noticed how Christians who fail are judged harshly, both by other Christians and the world at large? A Christian on antidepressants, a Christian going through a divorce, a Christian with a wayward teenager....on and on it goes. What's up with that?

OK. I've enjoyed reading the responses thus so far, btw. :)
What's up with that CE is that more is expected from Christians.
And it should be. We know what God wants from man. We have no excuse.
We SHOULD be nicer and more helpful than others. We should have more patience and understanding.

We're not in the dark like most of the world. They don't even know that satan is the prince of the air.

dirtfarmer here

Many Christians are confused between happy or happiness, with joy. Happiness comes from happenings and only last for about 6 months. When we acquire new "stuff" it makes us happy for about 5 or 6 months, then the reality that payments come every month and then we have to acquire something else to make us happy again.

The fruit of the Spirit is joy, not happiness. When we have joy we can rejoice in midst of trouble and sorrow.
Great minds think alike!!

That can arise from many causes, from life experiences and damaged emotions to fellow believers who place heavy burdens upon them.

Things like if you want Gods love/blessings you must do this, read your bible every day and the list goes on, basically legalism.

If the focus of a believer is on doing rather then being it takes the focus of Christ.

Jesus came to reveal the Father and his love for us. Even in our sin he died for us.

Then we are happier/content even if we fail, we know he loves us, if we need provision we know he will provide.

hello Wrg1405, dirtfarmer here

I agree that when we, like Peter, take our eyes off of Jesus we begin to sink. Jesus is our Sabbath, our rest from our works and resting in his. When we rest in his work then we have joy, joy that is unspeakable and full of glory, his glory

Religion is a doing.
Christianity is being.

We love because he first loved us.

Our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son, Jesus Christ.

If we sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous.

Give us this day, our daily bread.

What about...

Mathew 11:30
John 10:10b
Mathew 13:44

there are more...

Hi precious lady

In your response to Nathan

I think I've heard a preacher ask that question before and then say he couldn't find a yes in the Bible.

You quote

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Matthew 13:44
The Parable of the Hidden Treasure
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

John 10:10
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Firstly I would say to Nathan that what you have heard is wrong.

Secondly I would say the verses you quoted doesn't really answer his quote.

Yet the verses you quote do actually lead to a YES.

When we actually believe those verses then yes we can be happy or whatever word wants to use for happiness.

Hi precious lady

In your response to Nathan

You quote

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Matthew 13:44
The Parable of the Hidden Treasure
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

John 10:10
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Firstly I would say to Nathan that what you have heard is wrong.

Secondly I would say the verses you quoted doesn't really answer his quote.

Yet the verses you quote do actually lead to a YES.

When we actually believe those verses then yes we can be happy or whatever word wants to use for happiness.

How about Romans 8:28
When one knows God, it's OK to be sad, it's only human.

But even when sad, I could still feel joyful.
Difficult to explain...

hello Wrg1405, dirtfarmer here

I agree that when we, like Peter, take our eyes off of Jesus we begin to sink. Jesus is our Sabbath, our rest from our works and resting in his. When we rest in his work then we have joy, joy that is unspeakable and full of glory, his glory
Amen

It's all about resting in him, when we realise he is resting in us it certainly changes things is us.

How about Romans 8:28
When one knows God, it's OK to be sad, it's only human.

But even when sad, I could still feel joyful.
Difficult to explain...
Off course it's ok to be sad. I'm not saying it's not. You know me well enough to know and acknowledge that.

You quote
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Praise God he works good for those who love God. In the crap of life God promises to work good in it, not make it good but work in it and all the sadness/regret and so on.

But let's take it beyond V:28

Romans 8:29-30
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

He works good for those who love God, yes to deal with being sad but he takes it further "To be like Jesus"

That being the case we are justified because of the firstborn.

When we get that fully get it we have nothing to be sad about.

Truth is we don't fully get it and that's the problem.

Further what we do not fully get yet if we did it would so make a difference

John 17:23
I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

GOD LOVES US AS MUCH AS HE LOVES JESUS.

To me when fully get this then we are released from sadness to the joy you mention.
Yes we may be sad at times and God gets it, we are made from dust.

Get that as well then we get God

I imagine there's some kinda data out there, but this is really a question for all of you who are in The Christian World. Do you think we--Christians, especially (but not necessarily exclusively) Protestants--are happier than the world?

I'm going to lean towards a qualified "Yes." I won't give it an enthusiastic oh yeah because there's lots of self-professed Christians who aren't all that Christian and who are genuinely miserable. I know this, because I live in The Bible Belt ("1,000 miles wide, 1 inch deep."). But I think it happens in all denominations, at all strata of society. Something about Christianity draws in both the wheat and the tares, the sheep and the wolves in sheep's clothing, etc.

So...happier? Less troubled, more at peace? Not that Christianity is all about stability and peace. I mean, its church, not mindfulness-training. Still, it stands to reason that living the right way should result in...contentment, I suppose. Not necessarily what the world would consider happiness, not always, but joy+contentment.

Rambling. What are your thoughts?
Not happier, this world is cruel. But grounded in the TRUTH of God. For I know how things will end, I have the book and the the Spirit.

Off course it's ok to be sad. I'm not saying it's not. You know me well enough to know and acknowledge that.

You quote
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Praise God he works good for those who love God. In the crap of life God promises to work good in it, not make it good but work in it and all the sadness/regret and so on.

But let's take it beyond V:28

Romans 8:29-30
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

He works good for those who love God, yes to deal with being sad but he takes it further "To be like Jesus"

That being the case we are justified because of the firstborn.

When we get that fully get it we have nothing to be sad about.

Truth is we don't fully get it and that's the problem.

Further what we do not fully get yet if we did it would so make a difference

I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

To me when fully get this then we are released from sadness to the joy you mention.
Yes we may be sad at times and God gets it, we are made from dust.

Get that as well then we get God
Sorry Wrigley,
I didn't mean to imply that you thought being sad was wrong. I know you don't think this!

You posted a scripture that just jumped out at me and that I think I never "saw" before:

That's AWESOME. I don't know why I glossed over it.

When I post Romans 8:28 what I mean is that God could take ANYTHING, be it sadness, sickness, wrong decisions, and somehow work some good out of it. When looking back I see that God was preparing me for something while I was going through a difficult time. I didn't see it while it was happening. This is why we have to trust God more. I say "more" because I feel like I never trust Him enough. But I'm getting better. I admire persons who are able to place their lives in God's hands.
Missionaries, pastors, come to mind.

After a few times of looking backwards in time and seeing God at work, it does make you trust Him more. (we're so human!)

Sorry Wrigley,
I didn't mean to imply that you thought being sad was wrong. I know you don't think this!

You posted a scripture that just jumped out at me and that I think I never "saw" before:

When I post Romans 8:28 what I mean is that God could take ANYTHING, be it sadness, sickness, wrong decisions, and somehow work some good out of it. When looking back I see that God was preparing me for something while I was going through a difficult time. I didn't see it while it was happening. This is why we have to trust God more. I say "more" because I feel like I never trust Him enough. But I'm getting better. I admire persons who are able to place their lives in God's hands.

After a few times of looking backwards in time and seeing God at work, it does make you trust Him more. (we're so human!)
Yes when look back and see God has been working even though we didn't see it but now we do, we trust him more.

With regards to John17:23 there are so many like you and me who have never seen it. Some have seen it and gloss over it because they don't think it's true for them.

It is AWSOME, ITS AMAZING, if we get and trust it and believe it then it sets us free.
You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

What is that truth?

God loves us as much as he loves Jesus.

Sorry Wrigley,

Yes I knew what your bent was concerning Romans 8:28

And what you said is spot on.

Yes when look back and see God has been working even though we didn't see it but now we do, we trust him more.

With regards to John17:23 there are so many like you and me who have never seen it. Some have seen it and gloss over it because they don't think it's true for them.

It is AWSOME, ITS AMAZING, if we get and trust it and believe it then it sets us free.
You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

What is that truth?

God loves us as much as he loves Jesus.
Yes. This IS a great truth.
Very good.

I always thought of the truth as being our being freed from the grips of satan - where there is NO freedom - through the knowledge of God and His Kingdom and how we should be a part of it.

"God loves us as much as He loves Jesus" encompasses every truth!

Just as Jesus' two commandments encompass all commandments.

Thanks Wrigley.
You're such a blessing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back