Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Dear John--

Of Matt.5:17, Jesus was speaking of Himself--"think not that I am come to destroy the law---I am not come to destroy but to fulfill--." Is there a difference between destroying something and fulfilling it? Certainly there is and further, I know you know there is. If one keeps an appointment one has not destroyed it, he has fulfilled it, and if not why not? Can you name ONE thing of the law (Moses) Jesus did not fulfill? Name one. Jesus said He "came" and He has went. Tell us, did Jesus do what He said He would do when He came?

And, why haven't you answered what I last wrote on Heb.4?

Christ plainly shows by the context of Mat 5 that the law is made complete or filled up, not finished...

G4137
πληρόω
plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

If the law were finished then what means this...

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Then He goes on showing how the law is filled up...

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Mat 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
Mat 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

and this teaching of the magnification of the law continues through chapter 7.

I did address what you wrote about Heb 4 already, you will find that in #396...

katapausis or a variant is used in most places in Hebrews 4, but in verse 9, the word is Sabbatismos. Again, same principle as Mat 5, keeping the weekly and annual Sabbaths shows the meaning to be the coming rest which is the Millenial reign of Jesus Christ on the earth. At which time the Holydays, the Sabbath and New Moons will be observed...

Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
Zec 14:17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
Zec 14:18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
Zec 14:19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Not one tribe (Judah, the Jews) of the twelve tribes of Israel, but ALL FLESH, Israel and Gentiles alike.

BTW John, Neither did you reply to what I wrote about testaments. And regarding Matt.24 and Rev. 19, where are they a part of the law Jesus came to fulfill??

,Dear John
You said: "Christ plainly shows by the context of Matt.5 that the law is made complete or filled up, not finished--" The proof you offered were such words as: ''satisfy--accomplish--complete--end--expire--fill--fulfill--full--fully--perfect--FINISH" One need not be a rocket scientist to know that if a thing is COMPLETE its FINISHED. If a thing is at END its finished. If its FULL, its finished. If its perfect, its finished. Yet, the very quote you gave actually uses the word "FINISH." You must have been asleep at the wheel on this one. The very thing you use to prove your doctrine disproves it. But, wait, there is more! Thayer says of the word "fulfill" as used in Matt.5:17: "universally and absolutely, to FULFILL, i.e. TO CAUSE GOD'S WILL (as made known in the law) TO BE OBEYED AS IT SHOULD BE, AND GOD'S PROMISES (given through the prophets) TO RECEIVE FULFILLMENT: Matt. 5:17--.", pg. 518. This is what is said of the meaning of the very word "fulfill" in the text of the very verse in question, Matt.5:17.

Now, what about Matt.5:19? Nothing at all said about a continuing law. You've made that one up. When Jesus said "ye have heard it said of them of old time" He had reference to Moses law. John 1:17 reads: For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." It was by the "grace and truth of Jesus Christ" and not any so-called continuance of Moses law that Jesus said "but I say to you."

Now, for a moment, back to Heb.4. In 4:9: "There remaineth therefore a rest (sabbatismos) to the people of God." Sabbatismos is a singular noun, third person, nominative case, used as subject for the sentence. In Mark 2:27, "the sabbath (sabbaton) was made for man," sabbaton is a singular noun, third person, nominative case, used as siubject of the sentence. Their grammatical use is the same. The difference? Sabbaton is of neuter gender; sabbatismos is of masculine gender. The word "sabbath" in the NT always comes from "sabbaton" (neuter gender). The word "sabbatismos" (masculine gender) is used (as you correctly said) only one time in the NT and does not refer to the sabbath day. Thats why you need the word "day" in Heb.4:9, but it is NOT there. They are two different words. The "rest" of Heb. 4:9,10 is the eternal rest that we must labor to enter, vs. 11. Further, to cease from work "as God did from his" does NOT say "on the day God did."

How do you differentiate which commandments are still in force and which are done away?

I see all the law as law even though I am not under the law of Moses. I read of acts in the NT that can lead to the 2nd death. Those commands deal with keeping one from immorality and how we deal with others (love), Not keeping religious ceremonies. Man was not made for the Sabbath. When the Lord Himself returns if He wants us to celebrate a festival I believe those of us that love Him will state "were in" Until that time we live by faith in Him. His commands are to love one another.

Randy

I believe we have to keep the Sabbath: go into His rest. Hebrews 4:9. I don't believe it's got anything to do with on which day you go to the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe we have to keep the Sabbath: go into His rest. Hebrews 4:9. I don't believe it's got anything to do with on which day you go to the service.

BINGO...

God made the world in 6 days, on the 7th He went to His "rest".

When Jesus was finished, He went the right hand of God, his "rest".

and as you said, there remains a "rest" for those who obey, where Jesus is, it is where he will take them, to His "rest"

I read a book recently and the author suggested it's important for Christians to keep the Sabbath and that it was Saturday and not Sunday. I have also heard that it is on Sunday, or that we as Christians are not required to observe it. I actually promised God that I would not work on the weekends anymore if he led me to a new job monday through friday. I currently work friday and saturday third shift which leads into Sunday. If you think we are to keep the Sabbath do I have to quit my job or is it something we just should do? I'm still confused any help would be great.

Greetings, the Truth is this, and is indisputable. There is no Scriptures whatsoever where Jesus tells us Christians to keep the Sabbath, nor are there any verses where the Apostle tell us to continue to keep the Sabbath Holy. This is the Truth.

Now, there are many who will interpret the Bible to mean that we Christians are to continue to keep the Sabbath, but they are just that, their interpretations.

Now as for me, i keep the Sabbath, and have for over 11 years now. But that is something that i choose to do, not commanded to do.
Jesus does not tell us to keep the Sabbath
Apostle did not tell us to keep the Sabbath
Man does tell us to keep the Sabbath.

If you obey Jesus and what He tells you to do, and you obey what His Apostles tell you to do, you will be absolutely fine, and Heaven bound. be weary of people who tell you to do things, which even Jesus or His Apostle never instructed you to do.

^i^

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that seeing that the Holy Spirit dwells in me that I should be able to enter into His rest now. Now I'm not talking about "the rest" in the future with Christ. But still I feel like I can and I should for my own sake and for those that have to live with me it would be a good thing to rest in Him now.
Do not worry, He is with you.
Do not fear, He is with you.
Which way should I go, which way should I go?! Relax He is with you.

Sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath - Jesus

Work 6 days then rest for 1 day - God

A day of rest that is set apart (holy) for God. We physically need the rest, we don't need more religious rules. Catholics have enough of them, should we adopt some just to keep busy?

BINGO...

God made the world in 6 days, on the 7th He went to His "rest".

When Jesus was finished, He went the right hand of God, his "rest".

and as you said, there remains a "rest" for those who obey, where Jesus is, it is where he will take them, to His "rest"

Since we haven't seen much together to be fair I agree with the above.

Col. 2
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

There is certainly nothing illegal about gathering on a certain day currently.

To bring condemnation to other believers over that matter though is a bad reflection on the matters.

s

Sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath - Jesus

Work 6 days then rest for 1 day - God

A day of rest that is set apart (holy) for God. We physically need the rest, we don't need more religious rules. Catholics have enough of them, should we adopt some just to keep busy?

Brother i agree,
But isn't teaching people they MUST keep the Sabbath just another religious rule?

^i^

This passage settled the law issue for me years ago:

"5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:1-6 NIV1984)

When a person makes any of the various ceremonial laws, like circumcision, required for justification, they obligate themselves to the entire law for that justification. There's no such thing as partial law keeping when it comes to being justified by the law. To say you must keep the law of circumcision to be justified is in effect putting oneself under the entire weight of the law, making yourself a slave to a 'law' of righteousness...the very thing Christ died to release us from. So to start out in the righteousness of Christ and end up in the righteousness of law is to make Christ of no effect toward the righteousness we have promised to us through belief in him.

Paul says circumcision, the epitome of law keeping, counts for nothing toward justification. The only thing counting toward that is faith...faith expressing itself through love. That's what justifying faith looks like...love for others, not ceremonial law keeping. Later, in the next chapter, he says this:

"15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation." (Galatians 6: NIV1984)

What matters, what counts is that you are a new creation. A new creation that loves. Not a person who keeps Mosaic ceremonial laws. The requirements of the law do not count toward justification. Nor are they the expected and obligatory expression of the faith that justifies, except the law 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

We are justified by faith in Christ, not law keeping. The required and obligatory work of saving faith is 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

This passage settled the law issue for me years ago:

"5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:1-6 NIV1984)

When a person makes any of the various ceremonial laws, like circumcision, required for justification, they obligate themselves to the entire law for that justification. There's no such thing as partial law keeping when it comes to being justified by the law. To say you must keep the law of circumcision to be justified is in effect putting oneself under the entire weight of the law, making yourself a slave to a 'law' of righteousness...the very thing Christ died to release us from. So to start out in the righteousness of Christ and end up in the righteousness of law is to make Christ of no effect toward the righteousness we have promised to us through belief in him.

Paul says circumcision, the epitome of law keeping, counts for nothing toward justification. The only thing counting toward that is faith...faith expressing itself through love. That's what justifying faith looks like...love for others, not ceremonial law keeping. Later, in the next chapter, he says this:

"15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation." (Galatians 6: NIV1984)

What matters, what counts is that you are a new creation. A new creation that loves. Not a person who keeps Mosaic ceremonial laws. The requirements of the law do not count toward justification. Nor are they the expected and obligatory expression of the faith that justifies, except the law 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

We are justified by faith in Christ, not law keeping. The required and obligatory work of saving faith is 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

Well said, and i totally agree. His Commandments are to LOVE ONE ANOTHER, you fulfill the WHOLE law if you LOVE ONE ANOTHER. you love God by loving others. For God is LOVE.

^i^

Brother i agree,
But isn't teaching people they MUST keep the Sabbath just another religious rule?

^i^

We are suppose to. Though to tell me that I can't cook food on sunday or clean the house, then I'd say somebody is becoming religious. I believe God is ultimately saying we do need rest.

The other aspect of this verse that many miss is the fact we are to work 6 days. What if your not working 6 days? Now you are disobeying?

Those who work on Sunday... should you keep your job? Well, the Bible says if you don't work, you don't eat. Nobody can live many sundays without eating, correct?

We're really not suppose to dispute small matters, as the Bible tells us this. This is one of those small matters that has drawn the attention away from the things that really matter. Who is God? Who is Jesus? Who is the Holy Spirit? I'm surprised how many "Christians" don't really know God.

Brother i agree,

^i^

We are suppose to.

We are suppose to? Oh, then kindly show me any verse where Jesus tells me a Christian to continue to keep the Sabbath. Or show me any verse where an Apostle tells Christians to continue to keep the Sabbath. i mean if we are suppose to continue to keep the Sabbath, then surely you will have Scriptures that teach we are suppose to keep it? i would like to see those Scriptures. At this point, i don't recall any Scriptures that instruct me to keep the Sabbath, and so far it is a teaching of man, a (as you say) a religious rule. but if you can show me Scriptures then i will be able to change the belief, so that my belief lines up with the Word of God. i am not trying to be sarcastic or anything, i am being genuine, show me Scriptures which teach that we are suppose to, so i can believe that also.

Though to tell me that I can't cook food on sunday or clean the house, then I'd say somebody is becoming religious. I believe God is ultimately saying we do need rest.

Yeah, i guess i just take it a little farther, if someone tells me i MUST keep the Sabbath, then i'd say somebody is becoming religious. God does ultimately want us to take rest, it is extremely healthy for the body and mind to rest. i have kept the Sabbath Day of rest for over 11 years now, and refuse to work on that day, it is a day of Rest. But even though i freely chose to keep it, i am not commanded to keep it, nor am i suppose to keep it. This is what i think is wrong with the Sabbath issue, people telling people they MUST keep it, likewise people telling people you MUST NOT keep it. To keep the Sabbath is not commanded of Christians, but i do believe it is something everyone should do, not that i think they are suppose to do it, but something they can freely choose to do

The other aspect of this verse that many miss is the fact we are to work 6 days. What if your not working 6 days? Now you are disobeying?

That is True, for those who believe you MUST keep the Sabbath Day of Rest, then they also MUST work 6 days a week. Another point i think is missed a lot is if a person is going to teach a person MUST keep the Sabbath Day, should indeed be keeping it.

We're really not suppose to dispute small matters, as the Bible tells us this. This is one of those small matters that has drawn the attention away from the things that really matter. Who is God? Who is Jesus? Who is the Holy Spirit? I'm surprised how many "Christians" don't really know God.

This is very True, and you are correct. However i am called, and was born to do, to expose false doctrines, to teach against the doctrines of man, to try to get people back to the Word of God, and not the words of man. i teach to believe the Word of God and what they say, not to believe the word of man and what they say. The doctrine that you MUST keep the Sabbath is a false doctrine, i have a chapter in my book concerning it, and also an article on the web speaking of it, found HERE. But you are correct in what you say above, Salvation issues are the most important issues, and issues such as Sabbath keeping are secondary issues. i have found though that it is the secondary issues that bring people back into believing the Word of God and not the words of man, this helps tremendously when talking about Salvation issues, to believe what the Bible says and not what men teach, for example Once Saved Always Saved, is most certain a Salvation issue, that a person will need to believe the Scriptures and not what men teach.

Amen brother, how is it over there in the Philippines?

^i^

We are suppose to? Oh, then kindly show me any verse where Jesus tells me a Christian to continue to keep the Sabbath. Or show me any verse where an Apostle tells Christians to continue to keep the Sabbath. i mean if we are suppose to continue to keep the Sabbath, then surely you will have Scriptures that teach we are suppose to keep it? i would like to see those Scriptures. At this point, i don't recall any Scriptures that instruct me to keep the Sabbath, and so far it is a teaching of man, a (as you say) a religious rule. but if you can show me Scriptures then i will be able to change the belief, so that my belief lines up with the Word of God. i am not trying to be sarcastic or anything, i am being genuine, show me Scriptures which teach that we are suppose to, so i can believe that also.

Yeah, i guess i just take it a little farther, if someone tells me i MUST keep the Sabbath, then i'd say somebody is becoming religious. God does ultimately want us to take rest, it is extremely healthy for the body and mind to rest. i have kept the Sabbath Day of rest for over 11 years now, and refuse to work on that day, it is a day of Rest. But even though i freely chose to keep it, i am not commanded to keep it, nor am i suppose to keep it. This is what i think is wrong with the Sabbath issue, people telling people they MUST keep it, likewise people telling people you MUST NOT keep it. To keep the Sabbath is not commanded of Christians, but i do believe it is something everyone should do, not that i think they are suppose to do it, but something they can freely choose to do

That is True, for those who believe you MUST keep the Sabbath Day of Rest, then they also MUST work 6 days a week. Another point i think is missed a lot is if a person is going to teach a person MUST keep the Sabbath Day, should indeed be keeping it.

This is very True, and you are correct. However i am called, and was born to do, to expose false doctrines, to teach against the doctrines of man, to try to get people back to the Word of God, and not the words of man. i teach to believe the Word of God and what they say, not to believe the word of man and what they say. The doctrine that you MUST keep the Sabbath is a false doctrine, i have a chapter in my book concerning it, and also an article on the web speaking of it, found HERE. But you are correct in what you say above, Salvation issues are the most important issues, and issues such as Sabbath keeping are secondary issues. i have found though that it is the secondary issues that bring people back into believing the Word of God and not the words of man, this helps tremendously when talking about Salvation issues, to believe what the Bible says and not what men teach, for example Once Saved Always Saved, is most certain a Salvation issue, that a person will need to believe the Scriptures and not what men teach.

Amen brother, how is it over there in the Philippines?

^i^

I would have thought that if we were not obliged to keep the Sabbath, as important an issue as this was to the Jews, that there would be whole chapters explaining why we should not, rather we read that Paul preached on the Sabbath, we are not to let anyone judge us for keeping the Sabbath...

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

And there remains a keeping of the Sabbath for the people of God...

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

And one does not have to be smarter than a fifth grader to read the diaglott, a few commentaries, strongs or even some other translations to see what the original really says...

The Diaglott says...

Hebrews 4:9 Therefore remains a keeping of a sabbath for the people of the God.

New International Version (©1984)
There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;

English Standard Version (©2001)
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

International Standard Version (©2008)
There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

American Standard Version
There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.

Darby Bible Translation
There remains then a sabbatism to the people of God.

English Revised Version
There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.

Weymouth New Testament
It follows that there still remains a sabbath rest for the people of God.

World English Bible
There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Young's Literal Translation
there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God,

Dear John--But NONE of the translations you so boldly gave said nothing about the "sabbath", the "rest" of Heb.4:9 being the sabbath day. As I've called to your attention before, so do I now again, what you dearly need to make your argument on Heb.4 to float is a reliable translation calling the "rest" a day.

I read a book recently and the author suggested it's important for Christians to keep the Sabbath and that it was Saturday and not Sunday. I have also heard that it is on Sunday, or that we as Christians are not required to observe it. I actually promised God that I would not work on the weekends anymore if he led me to a new job monday through friday. I currently work friday and saturday third shift which leads into Sunday. If you think we are to keep the Sabbath do I have to quit my job or is it something we just should do? I'm still confused any help would be great.

I think the Sabbath is for our own benefit - we all need a day's rest each week. I don't think the Lord cares which day it is, though I prefer it to be Sunday. I go to church on Sunday as part of my Sabbath.

Back