Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are some people destined for hell?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm wondering how an individual "feeling happy" has anything to do with salvation.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a part of the brain where the feeling of connectedness to one's creator is activated. I may be incorrect, but I was just thinking, what if a person is damaged in that one area, and thus, cannot connect to God? Almost like having one's end of the telephone cord cut. First, is there such an area of the brain? And if so, could we literally physically be cut off from our creator in such a way?

Regardless though, after pondering the matter further last night and doing some more reading, I read something that turned my whole question on its head- I had forgotten that without the saving Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the default is that we would all be destined for hell regardless. That helped put a lot of things into perspective- and turned my question into an answer.
Basically, all of humanity- since the fall of Adam and Eve- is on a bad road...but it is in choosing Christ that turns us off that road and on to a better one.

Hmmm....I don't know how far I'd go with brain-based explanations of things. There's a lot we don't know about the brain. I mean, look at psychiatry. Over 200 years and they still haven't cured 1 person of schizophrenia, lol. Add in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, seizure disorders, etc...

...anyway, Predestination as I was taught it is like this: we're all Hell bound. Some are called to repentance (saving grace or something like that) and become Born Again Christians. There are also false conversions, which I don't really understand. If you're truly one of The Elect, you'll see it through to the end (perseverance of the saints).

...anyway, Predestination as I was taught it is like this: we're all Hell bound. Some are called to repentance (saving grace or something like that) and become Born Again Christians. There are also false conversions, which I don't really understand. If you're truly one of The Elect, you'll see it through to the end (perseverance of the saints).
Religion will stress the fact that we are all worthless piles of scum deserving of Hell. Everyone is deserving of hell,period.
But this is Grace.
God condemned EVERYONE to make EVERYONE savable......Condemnation must proceed salvation.
Rom 5:18~~New American Standard Bible
So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

This verse gives us the truth in "age of accountability","mentally challenged"," all that can't reason enough" are SAFE. Christ judged ALL sin on the cross, so those who can't believe or are never presented the Gospel message are SAFE. Gods justice was satisfied through Christ on the cross, so He can save these folks without violating His perfect Justice.

Jonah 4:11~~New American Standard Bible
"Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?"

We, in reality, have it easier then Adam and Eve. All we need to do is believe. Acts 16:31

And please take a look at predestination and election from a grace perspective and not from a "tulip" perspective.

Imagine yourself as a unbeliever and your on one side of a great river. On the other side of the great river is your election and predestination. You have to believe, by your own freewill to get across the river to your election and predestination. These are your rewards and blessings for making the choice to believe. They do not come across the river and get you.

After you believe you are elected to sonship,to be an heir,to be sealed by His spirit,to royalty and many more wonderful things. Eph 1:5

After you believe, God has a predetermined plan for you life. To be conformed to the image of His Son and a predesigned specific plan just for your life Eph 1:11; Rom 8:29

I was just thinking, what if a person is damaged in that one area, and thus, cannot connect to God? Almost like having one's end of the telephone cord cut. First, is there such an area of the brain? And if so, could we literally physically be cut off from our creator in such a way?
I don't think it is beyond the reach of God to connect with everyone no matter their condition.

Regardless though, after pondering the matter further last night and doing some more reading, I read something that turned my whole question on its head- I had forgotten that without the saving Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the default is that we would all be destined for hell regardless. That helped put a lot of things into perspective- and turned my question into an answer.
Basically, all of humanity- since the fall of Adam and Eve- is on a bad road...but it is in choosing Christ that turns us off that road and on to a better one.
:thumbsup

I think it best not to take humanity's short sighted views on the divine ideal for us as seriously as some seem to think.
God knows everything, while we human beings are short sighted, and even too puny minded to get everything that God has in mind for each individual person.
I lean on Him who wore the crown of thorns so that I would be saved. I don't try and quantify or measure who wins and who loses. He knows every human heart, and even how many hairs each of us has on our heads.
I let Him handle such things as who's saved and who won't be.
I mean, who'd a-thunk it?--the thief who was crucified at the same time as our Lord and Redeemer He forgave, just prior to death.
We can't know whose heart He'll be touching before that person's final breath.
We simply can't.
I believe that is how come it's best not to judge anybody.
We are to love, forgive, pray for, bless, and to not judge. The Lord told us so. To judge is God's deal, along with it being that of Jesus Christ Himself. Y'know. The one I follow.
:cross

I remember reading somewhere that there is a part of the brain where the feeling of connectedness to one's creator is activated. I may be incorrect, but I was just thinking, what if a person is damaged in that one area, and thus, cannot connect to God? Almost like having one's end of the telephone cord cut. First, is there such an area of the brain? And if so, could we literally physically be cut off from our creator in such a way?
You're thinking of the pineal gland. Without taking an opinion, it's an interesting question. It is said to be the "third eye" (spiritual vision) and known by the ancients. Others say it is the seat of the soul. Also rumored to show physical development when autopsied from those who lived significant spiritual lives (monks, etc.).

Fortunately, the pineal is located close to the geograpical center of the human brain, and unlikely to suffer isolated damage from physical trauma. But there's things like infection that might be a possibility. I wonder if anyone's done a medical research study on this?

Last edited:
The pineal gland must be dedicated to the Lord, otherwise, it may be edged into by the enemy.
I know whereof I speak, unfortunately (or, perhaps fortunately).
Years ago, I was a part of the New Age movement. I have seen what happens. In myself as well as in others.
So when he asked me to stop, to make amends and to ask for real forgiveness and blessedness, I found myself suddenly being taken over by God!
What an interesting and totally new sensation that was!
Stuff removed from me right, left and center! I needed cleaning up spiritually. I sometimes, in prayer, ask that the Lord will cleanse me from head to toe, in his son's name, and He does it. It's always such a pleasant, peaceful relief.
But back to the pineal gland.
if we focus on this gland as our strength towards being more godly, or less sinful, we begin to miss the point.
Pineal glands and kundalini are all New Age (and believe me, there's nothing new under the sun) and Hindu style things. I studied them for years and years.
Babylon/Mesopotamia went with that stuff.
pineal--think pine cone
pine--al
It's in ancient artwork. Pagan artwork. And all over the city of Rome, from ancient pagan Rome.
The mystery religions thought highly of this symbol. They used it extensively. No wise Christian engages in those practices. Ever.
I had to be cleaned up and out by the Lord on my day of atonement, remember?
I won't look back, not ever, except in study or to offer my experience out of service to God.
Too dangerous.
I suggest Jesus Christ instead. No need to look any further.
As Trey Smith might tell you: "Don't listen to snakes because...they're snakes !"
God's Peace through Christ to you
:bible

Religion will stress the fact that we are all worthless piles of scum deserving of Hell. Everyone is deserving of hell,period.

Actually, that's just your religion. There are plenty of religions that don't promise to torture the dead, or that don't hold people responsible for something that they had no hand in and that (presumably) happened long before they were born.

Having said that, you did pithily sum up the core message of the Christian doctrine. For tactical reasons, this bit about God torturing his beloved creation forever doesn't get mentioned often when the proselytizers try to win recruits with "The Good News". I guess people find this off-putting.

I do wonder what the psychological consequences are of thinking of yourself in such an extremely negative manner.
I think we should be happy that we are furnished with such little evidence for such a horrible proposition.
And who but a serf wants it to be true ?

Mr. B.

Actually, that's just your religion. There are plenty of religions that don't promise to torture the dead, or that don't hold people responsible for something that they had no hand in and that (presumably) happened long before they were born.

Christ died for all sin. You are not going to be held responsible for any of your sins. Your unbelief, is what brings you to His Judgement throne.

Having said that, you did pithily sum up the core message of the Christian doctrine. For tactical reasons, this bit about God torturing his beloved creation forever doesn't get mentioned often when the proselytizers try to win recruits with "The Good News". I guess people find this off-putting.

I do wonder what the psychological consequences are of thinking of yourself in such an extremely negative manner.
I think we should be happy that we are furnished with such little evidence for such a horrible proposition.
And who but a serf wants it to be true ?

Mr. B.

God has no pleasure in the death of a sinner..

Ezekiel 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Hell wasn't made for man, where do you suppose we got that idea?

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

tob

How do you know that ?

Mr. Bubbles

First you have to believe God means what he says, in Ezekiel he says

Ezekiel 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

He has feelings same as ours we are made in his image, he cries he laughs and he grieves with his creation..I'm quite sure it grieves him in his heart when we choose to listen to Satan over him.

tob

As someone worshiping God in the Arminian theological tradition, I thnk not. I don't believe in predestination, but, there are scripture readings in Romans that allude to it, presenting the idea that some people are put on earth specifically to reject God and present occasions for God to demonstrate His power, wrath, and mercy.

Romans 9:17-24
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

In all His works God shows his sovereignty, granting covenant relationships, turning His face from chosen peoples, granting new covenants, always preserving a remnant of righteous ones: selection and election.

Romans 9:25-30
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

turnorburn said:

How do you know that ?

Mr. Bubbles

MR B. Do you believe the Bible is the true word of God?

If not, and I could be wrong, but I don't see how anyone can prove how they know that. It's kinda like you saying, how do we know the bible is true?....if you don't believe that it is, then any answers given you by someone who assumes it is true will be using the Bible you don't think is true to derive answers for you, so it just won't work as I see it. IOW, if you don't think the book of answers is the book of answers, any answers from that book would be worthless to you/non answers and that's all we have to go on. Hope I didn't confuse things.

Might be best to start with asking us to convince you the Bible is true first or that there is a God and only one...not sure what your beliefs are but we could find a good starting point I'm sure.. Do you think that is possible or is your mind pretty well set against it? All this is assuming the answer to the question I posed at the start of this post is no.

turnorburn said:

How do you know that ?

Mr. Bubbles

MR B. Do you believe the Bible is the true word of God?

If not, and I could be wrong, but I don't see how anyone can prove how they know that. It's kinda like you saying, how do we know the bible is true?....if you don't believe that it is, then any answers given you by someone who assumes it is true will be using the Bible you don't think is true to derive answers for you, so it just won't work as I see it. IOW, if you don't think the book of answers is the book of answers, any answers from that book would be worthless to you/non answers and that's all we have to go on. Hope I didn't confuse things.

Might be best to start with asking us to convince you the Bible is true first or that there is a God and only one...not sure what your beliefs are but we could find a good starting point I'm sure.. Do you think that is possible or is your mind pretty well set against it? All this is assuming the answer to the question I posed at the start of this post is no.
I believe the bible answers a bit of this in the following scripture.
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

As someone worshiping God in the Arminian theological tradition, I thnk not. I don't believe in predestination, but, there are scripture readings in Romans that allude to it, presenting the idea that some people are put on earth specifically to reject God and present occasions for God to demonstrate His power, wrath, and mercy.

Romans 9:17-24
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

In all His works God shows his sovereignty, granting covenant relationships, turning His face from chosen peoples, granting new covenants, always preserving a remnant of righteous ones: selection and election.

Romans 9:25-30
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
Hi Mike,
I'm of neither of the major positions but before I was saved I knew I would never accept a capricious god and that is the god of the Five Point Hyper Calvinists. No, I am a member of a small group of Christ Followers that cannot ignore any scripture nor passage of scripture. The ones I aware of call themselves Biblicists and it is there I stand.

The scriptures that teach Predestination are clear and I will never deny them. In like manor, the scriptures teaching Free Will must never be denied presenting a conundrum that must be reconciled because all of scripture is, absolutely true because three times in the scriptures God has promised to protect and to keep His Word to us true and we do serve The Mighty God wherefore nothing can escape Him. The easiest to recall of the three promises is the one, often argued to protect the Revelation Of Jesus, the Christ in it's last chapter when God promises the worst of curses to the man that will add to or subtract from His Holy Words.

The first instance, it has been a long, long, time, I recall being in Leviticus or possibly Numbers. The other has long ago escaped my feeble mind but a good Chain Reference should uncover it, easily enough.

The rule I have stood fast on is of the study of Hermeneutics and is oft touted by tis grumpy old fossil; No passage, single scripture nor any collection of scriptures can ever be fully understood without the light of all scripture shinning, directly on it/them. So it is then that the answer is discovered in the reading of the Whole of scripture read in prayerful submission and led by the Holy Spirit.

What I found:
...1. God is love!
...2. Free Will is a demonstrable, love that word, fact and is taught in the scriptures.
...3. Predestination is a truth taught in the scriptures.

With about three months, devoted to the issue, I read from study guides from both Major Perspectives and I prayed, discussed with anyone that would discuss the issue and I meditate on what I was reading in the scriptures for hundreds of miles as I drove my Diesel across th highways. In the end I was and I am settled that God is, indeed, love, precluding Him being capricious or, God has never created any being for the sole purpose of Eternal Torment!

In instance after instance, both in the Old Testament and the New, we find folks exercising their God given free will to get themselves into trouble and of God getting them out of their own mess. I was thinking o Moses but David is better, I believe. King David is known by God as a man after God's own heart and he was faithful to never strike back at that, full of himself fool, Saul and then he turns around, looking at that lovely naked as a new born baby, Bathsheba and commits himself and her to the sin of Adultery and he murdered her husband to hide his sin. And in spite of his sin, God restored him in spite of the abusive use of his free will.

Oh my! How does Predestination fit into that? WE know from the teachings from the pulpit, from our time in Sunday School Lessons and from our personal studies that God wrote the Book of Life before He created the first star of the Heavens or the Earth we live on. God is Omnipotent and Omnipresent meaning that there is nothing God cannot do and there is no place, in the Spirit Realm God cannot go.

Just from the account of David we know that God constantly watches over us, so now begin putting things together. God wrote the Book of Life that included Bill and Mike before the scoundrels were even born and in spite their free will and look at Bill, chasing women, guzzling booze and directing people into the motels until his forty-fifth year. But God is not constrained by the Time/Space Continuum He created for man, He is free to be here and everywhere else, right now, right this moment.

At the same instant, because God is not constrained by time nor by location, He is, again, right no, here, in Russia, in Chili, in the Future and in the past. God has already seen what we are yet to do and thus the misunderstanding of Predestination. God knew because He is limitless and before He even wrote the Book of Life... or was He?

Scripture references, with the advent of Google, are easily found by searching the point and adding "+Bible" to the search. It has been a long time since I preached this sermon but if you do, expect lively discussion on the matters and nature of God to follow.

Hi Mike,

The rule I have stood fast on is of the study of Hermeneutics and is oft touted by tis grumpy old fossil; No passage, single scripture nor any collection of scriptures can ever be fully understood without the light of all scripture shinning, directly on it/them.

:thumbsup

My faith in Christ has always led me to believe in free will- that people can CHOOSE to accept God and an eternity with Him in Heaven, or reject God and face an eternity in the only place He will be absent- Hell.

I thought that the doctrine of Hell was not allowed to be discussed on christianforums.net.
I'm glad that we can discuss this again, because it is a very important subject. According to the Bible the wages of sin is death, not eternal conscious torment in hell. (Romans 6:23, plus the entire rest of the Bible) Those who do not believe in the Son of God will perish, just as the Bible says (See John 3:16 plus many other passages). Those who reject Christ will not be tormented alive forever in hell, they will perish on Judgment Day, just as the Bible says.

Back