Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are Video Games Art ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Supreme Court sees video games as art

Maybe it helps for the nation's highest court to say it, too? Video games are art, and they deserve the exact same First Amendment protections as books, comics, plays and all the rest, the U.S. Supreme Court said Monday in a ruling about the sale of violent video games in California.
California had tried to argue that video games are inherently different from these other mediums because they are "interactive." So if a kid has to pick up a controller and hit the B button -- over and over again until he starts to get thumb arthritis -- to kill a person in a video game, that's different from reading about a similar murder, the state said.
The high court didn't buy that argument, however.
Interactive stories are "nothing new," Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in the majority opinion (PDF). "Since at least the publication of 'The Adventures of You: Sugarcane Island' in 1969, young readers of choose-your-own-adventure stories have been able to make decisions that determine the plot by following instructions about which page to turn to."
pkg.bolduan.scotus.games.cnn.640x360.jpg
<cite class="expCaption">Supreme Court rules on violent games</cite>
exp.tsr.toobin.scotus.games.cnn.640x360.jpg
<cite class="expCaption">Violent video games an American right?</cite>

Here's more on why the court thinks video games are art:
"Like the protected books, plays, and movies that preceded them, video games communicate ideas -- and even social messages -- through many familiar literary devices (such as characters, dialogue, plot, and music) and through features distinctive to the medium (such as the player's interaction with the virtual world). That suffices to confer First Amendment protection."
California ban on "violent" video games for kids rejected
That's all well and good. But the most fun to be had in this potentially dry court opinion is when Scalia starts writing about how gory old-school stories are, too. He's trying to make the point that stories have included violence for as long as there have been stories.
The examples are pretty hilarious:
"Grimm's Fairy Tales, for example, are grim indeed," he writes.
Then there's this:
"Cinderella's evil stepsisters have their eyes pecked out by doves. And Hansel and Gretel (children!) kill their captor by baking her in an oven."
And, finally, if that wasn't enough eye-related violence for you:
"High-school reading lists are full of similar fare. Homer's Odysseus blinds Polyphemus the Cyclops by grinding out his eye with a heated stake."
Like these stories, this whole debate of whether video games -- violent or not -- classify as art has been raging in the tech world for years, if not decades.
It appears that much of the feud has been settled as of late, as CNN's Doug Gross wrote from the E3 Expo this month in Los Angeles.
"Keep debating whether video games are art if you wish. At E3, the world's biggest gaming expo, it's a closed question. Here, video games are definitely art -- and a gallery-style exhibit aims to prove it to as many people as care to look," Gross wrote at a gallery showing of video game art.
The Smithsonian is on board with this idea, too. That bastion of culture and history plans a similar exhibition, called "The Art of Video Games," in 2012.
Supreme Court sees video games as art - CNN.com

Makes me wonder how anyone could not consider games like Bioshock, Half life 2, Portal, or Silent Hill 2 art. :)

Jab-Jab said:
Makes me wonder how anyone could not consider games like Bioshock, Half life 2, Portal, or Silent Hill 2 art. :)

:lol

But, seriously, I'd consider them art far more than the crucifix in a jar of pee.

Of course video games are art. How could any determining factor of what constitutes art not be applied to video games.

Including violent ones. Violence has always been a part of art. Ever since Cain hammered Abel with the rock, violence has been part of the human experience and that has been reflected in our expression in art.

Stupid California thinking they're going to stop another Columbine by banning Mortal Kombat.

Hey, I don't allow Thomas to play the more violent or sexually explicit games...but to ban them? Good call by our Supreme Court.

:lol

Stupid California thinking they're going to stop another Columbine by banning Mortal Kombat.

Hey, I don't allow Thomas to play the more violent or sexually explicit games...but to ban them? Good call by our Supreme Court.
Oh I understand. I Own the newest Mortal Kombat, and I hide it whenever my younger cousins come over. There are scenes in that game that make me nauseated.

Parents are better at this stuff then the state anyway. For the most part banning never really fixes the problem.

the bible has mild gore and incest and such like in it. two mentions of rape(dinah and tamar) and incest (tamar).

careful what we wish for.

A tough good question. A long time ago art stopped being something that we hung on the wall, if it ever was. How much money is spent in one year in the USA on silly twisted and welded pieces of metal to be erected at public places and called art?
Does it take artistic creative minds to make video games?, of course it does.
The real issue with video games is the violence. I firmly believe the games should be regulated at time of sale, but then really what more can we ask after that? And then what of the TV, newspapers, movies, books, etc...

A tough good question. A long time ago art stopped being something that we hung on the wall, if it ever was. How much money is spent in one year in the USA on silly twisted and welded pieces of metal to be erected at public places and called art?
I don't know, its a little hilarious though. Dadaism and post modernism ( in art) was originally suposed to be a rebellion against manufactured cookie cutter art and music, but ended up becoming the verty beast it wanted to destroy. Kind of ironic.
Does it take artistic creative minds to make video games?, of course it does.
The real issue with video games is the violence. I firmly believe the games should be regulated at time of sale, but then really what more can we ask after that? And then what of the TV, newspapers, movies, books, etc...
The game industry is regulated based on those litle stickers and warning rating on the pakage, though they only work if parents actually pay attention. Otherwise the only real way to regulate such a thing would be to either ban them or not buy them.

Though, I hope such a ban dosen't happen because I want my Bioshock Infinite. :)

Though, I hope such a ban dosen't happen because I want my Bioshock Infinite. :)

Sure. I have young grandchildren come over and they are not allowed on the XBox, there is a Wii in the other room with Mario on it.

Well, now I am staring at my own typing and realize how stupid it could look to some. Is not even Super Mario about dying and killing to survive? Just no blood?

I could tell them to watch the Cartoon Network...

Hahaha. Get them some Kurby. Cute litle pink puff ball. How could that be evil. :chin

Hahaha. Get them some Kurby. Cute litle pink puff ball. How could that be evil. :chin

Im sure someone could say becaue it shows him eat constantly thus gluttony...
Also killing, i mean hes eatin them and they disappear, any kid knows if they et something it isnt ikely to come back out the same way if eaten.

Just putting this out there to prove that pretty much anything can be spun to look bad, if your a parent concerned with these sorts of things it's under your discretion.

As for the topic, definetly an art, no question about it for me. It's the exact same process and stimulation from books and t.v and movies, the only difference is you have control over the characters or events of the stories.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back