Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination

Are you saying that it is impossible to conceive that God planted a seed within you that would germinate only 20 years plus later in your life???

Not impossible to conceive, although I'm certain that I was not born again.

And what is "born again"? Is that something WE do, or God???

Obviously it's the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit of God when a person trusts in the Lord Jesus Christ..

What must I DO to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

b) Have another man sprinkle some water on me when I'm an infant

Is our spiritual birth dependent upon our own accumulation of "knowledge", that after a certain point, the scale is tipped and we bring ourselves into "spiritual existence"?

Refer to the above question.. are you suggesting that I can be born again regardless of believing on the Lord Jesus Christ ?

I wonder if you are being too quick to take credit for your own birth.

God gives the increase.. not me.. and even though I must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved, God alone baptizes a person into His own body by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I think we cannot rule out the possibility that God did indeed bring us into birth long ago and that we MATURED much later... Let's be clear about the difference between "birth" and "maturity".

Regards

I can.. and as mentioned.. I'm certain that I wasn't born again because of being baptized as an infant in the RCC.

Re: Are you confident that, what you believe will guarantee your eternal destination

Not impossible to conceive, although I'm certain that I was not born again.

How are you certain?

Obviously it's the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit of God when a person trusts in the Lord Jesus Christ..

Yes.

What must I DO to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

b) Have another man sprinkle some water on me when I'm an infant

Doesn't the Bible state that we are united to Christ's work through Baptism?

Refer to the above question.. are you suggesting that I can be born again regardless of believing on the Lord Jesus Christ ?

SOMEONE believes in Christ during the Baptism, whether it is you, your parents, or the Church... God acts through that human belief.

I suppose the question can be considered by asking what exactly "being born" entails. Was it absolutely necessary that you request that you be born physically?

Last post, I talked about the difference between being born and being mature. In the physical realm, at what point do we become aware of our birth, when do we think about it? The spiritual realm is no different in that regard. We can be born and not be aware of it and consider it for many years. Only later do we mature in Christ.

God gives the increase.. not me.. and even though I must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved, God alone baptizes a person into His own body by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Of course. God baptizes by water and the Spirit, ordinarily. He certainly doesn't need water, but through the water, God heals. Just as with Naaman.

Regards

so save joe. all you believe that you are instantly matured in christ at repentance? you poofed without reading the bible know it.

my son nathan believes god, but has asked me a ton on the very nature of God.

is he matured when HE CANNOT GRASP THE VERY NATURE OF GOD? HE IS CONFUSED ALSO by the trinity.

How are you certain?

Because I know the difference between experiencing life without Christ in me as compared to experiencing life with Christ in me.. it's like night and day.

You didn't answer my question of course.

What must I do to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved

b) Have another man sprinkle some water on me

Because I know the difference between experiencing life without Christ in me as compared to experiencing life with Christ in me.. it's like night and day.

Where does the Bible state that this is the "birthing point"?

As I stated, and you admitted, God CAN and DOES place within us a seed that only later matures and comes to know itself for who it is. In the physical world, we come to know we are alive and who we are only after (and quite some time) our birth. Yes, we later come to know our experiences in Christ, and it doesn't follow that our birth only begins with that recognition. The definition of "being born" allows for such an interim period where we MAY not be aware fully of who we are.

You didn't answer my question of course.

What must I do to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved

b) Have another man sprinkle some water on me

Are you asking me as in an absolute sense or an ordinary sense?

God is not bound by either, so the answer COULD be "none of the above".

An infant who dies before the age of maturity, is he condemned to eternal death because he did neither?

Regards

so save joe. all you believe that you are instantly matured in christ at repentance? you poofed without reading the bible know it.

my son nathan believes god, but has asked me a ton on the very nature of God.

is he matured when HE CANNOT GRASP THE VERY NATURE OF GOD? HE IS CONFUSED ALSO by the trinity.

True. There is a difference between maturity and in being born...

Regards

I am confident in God's grace and word...so that would be a YES...final answer! :)

Eventide: In answer to your question "what must I do to be saved"? you gave an "A" or "B" answer. Depending on what YOU define "A" to mean, the answer is "A". However, I doubt you and I agree on the defination of "A".

Where does the Bible state that this is the "birthing point"?

Eph 1:13-14 tells us how each and every member of the body of Christ was placed into Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.. and that is AFTER they trusted in Christ, AFTER hearing the gospel, and AFTER they believed.. THEN we we were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise by God.. this aligns perfectly with 1 Cor 12:13 which tells us that we were baptized into that one body by the same Spirit.

As I stated, and you admitted, God CAN and DOES place within us a seed that only later matures and comes to know itself for who it is. In the physical world, we come to know we are alive and who we are only after (and quite some time) our birth. Yes, we later come to know our experiences in Christ, and it doesn't follow that our birth only begins with that recognition. The definition of "being born" allows for such an interim period where we MAY not be aware fully of who we are.

Yeah.. maybe Christ was in me all that time and it didn't dawn on me til 25 years later..

It amazes me that people can come up with this stuff.. but hey.. as long as a person is baptized by some priest in the RCC while they're an infant.. no worries.. guaranteed that they're born again because the 'one true church' says so..

I suppose you actually believe that each and every person who is baptized in the RCC is born again and saved, right ?

If not, then why not ?

You also understand that a person can NOT be saved again after they are saved the first time.. it's biblically impossible as it requires Christ crucified again.. and that's obviously not possible.

Are you asking me as in an absolute sense or an ordinary sense?

God is not bound by either, so the answer COULD be "none of the above".

An infant who dies before the age of maturity, is he condemned to eternal death because he did neither?

Regards

In the biblical sense.. and I believe firmly that there is absolutely NO NEED for an infant to be saved.. they're completely innocent.

My poor Mom was often told that her children needed to be baptized asap because if they were not, then they could go to hell.. Yeah, nice comfort from the good ol one true church there.. thanks for that.

Eph 1:13-14 tells us how each and every member of the body of Christ was placed into Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.. and that is AFTER they trusted in Christ, AFTER hearing the gospel, and AFTER they believed..

You are clearly stretching what Paul is stating in Ephesians. First, he never makes your statement about "each and every member". He is speaking to the small community in Ephesus. It doesn't follow that Paul means this universally to ALL future Christians throughout the centuries.

Nor does it say anything about a chronological order that you lay out.

Nor does he say it is the ONLY way to be placed into Christ by the Spirit. He says it is the means that the EPHESIANS were placed into the Body.

THEN we we were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise by God.. this aligns perfectly with 1 Cor 12:13 which tells us that we were baptized into that one body by the same Spirit.

I am not saying anything different about you being baptized into one Body by the Spirit through baptism. Through the faith of the Church in Christ, the Spirit of God comes upon anyone entering into the community. While normative that adults would require a personal proclamation of faith, it doesn't follow that this is the exclusive way into the Body. I have already brought up infant who die. Children who die before the age of reason. Are you stating that they are condemned to eternal hell?

Yeah.. maybe Christ was in me all that time and it didn't dawn on me til 25 years later..

Why is that so difficult to understand? There are a lot of things you don't know about yourself, but they still are true.

Ever hear of the story about the footprints in the sand? ;)

The one about two sets of footprints, one Jesus and one the other guy, and then one set during times of trouble - the one set being Christ carrying the guy? The story implies that the guy didn't know he was being carried...

It amazes me that people can come up with this stuff.. but hey.. as long as a person is baptized by some priest in the RCC while they're an infant.. no worries.. guaranteed that they're born again because the 'one true church' says so..

I suppose sarcasm is your way of trying to teach me the "truth according to Eventide"? I find that amazing...

I have stated, and you have agreed, that the possibility exists that Christ works in a person without their knowledge. A person is born "from above", not by your own work. But yet, you are amazed and tell me this is impossible???

The precedent was established during the Apostolic era, so I suppose you can be amazed with their decisions, the same gents who put together the NT bible...

I suppose you actually believe that each and every person who is baptized in the RCC is born again and saved, right ?

Yes. Forgiven of all sins. God died for ALL men, not just adults who belong to your denomination. Redemption is freely given. But we don't believe that this means they cannot fall away or go to eternal damnation.

You also understand that a person can NOT be saved again after they are saved the first time.. it's biblically impossible as it requires Christ crucified again.. and that's obviously not possible.

OK, what do you mean by "saved"? Obviously, it doesn't mean that you cannot be forgiven of sin again, since the Bible accepts that men do sin after receiving the Spirit of God. I presume you have read, for example, 1 Corinthians? Did you get the idea that Paul was writing to sinless Christians???

In the biblical sense.. and I believe firmly that there is absolutely NO NEED for an infant to be saved.. they're completely innocent.

I think we would need to talk about original sin before you understood the need for baptism into Christ. The bible says we were BORN into sin, not that we are "innocent" - meaning "without sin" until later in life. There are other sins then just personal faults.

My poor Mom was often told that her children needed to be baptized asap because if they were not, then they could go to hell.. Yeah, nice comfort from the good ol one true church there.. thanks for that.

I suppose everyone in your "church" knows EVERYTHING about what is taught by pastor Billy Bob, right? Has it crossed your mind that perhaps, just PERHAPS, someone may not know everything??? Maybe Sister Mary was personally WRONG? Father Bob misunderstood something? You think because someone wears a black outfit, they are infallible?

Did dear ol' Mom even bother to crack a book to verify that??? Nope.

The Church doesn't teach that the unbaptized WILL go to hell. They are consigned to the mercy of God. We just do not know, so it is foolish to pretend to "know" that a baby unbaptized is bound for eternal hell, esp. when the Church, for 1000 years, has taught informally the concept of limbo, which precludes such thoughts about eternally bound babies to hell.

Those who told your mother otherwise clearly were not familiar with St. Thomas Aquinas' teaching on this matter (which the Church accepts), OR that the Church never accepted St. Augustine's idea of mass damnatia.

Regards

Francis,

Enjoy your 'one true church'.. imo it's pointless to discuss anything biblical with you.

Sorry to waste your time.

Francis,
imo it's pointless to discuss anything biblical with you.

more sarcasm. Why am I not surprise...

I gave you a legitimate response to your statement on Ephesians 1. THIS is your response??? Maybe you shouldn't post on the Apologetic Forum if you are going to get so upset when someone disagrees with you.

Regards

more sarcasm. Why am I not surprise...

I gave you a legitimate response to your statement on Ephesians 1. THIS is your response??? Maybe you shouldn't post on the Apologetic Forum if you are going to get so upset when someone disagrees with you.

Regards

I'm not upset at all, just a little disappointed in myself for wasting time trying to speak of biblical matters with the 'one true church' mindset..

No problem.. I should have known better.

:topictotopic

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back