Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

As important as evangelism is...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Evangelism comes in many forms from preaching the word of God, Matthew 28:18-20, to helping those who need help, Matthew 25:34-40, or just being the good Samaritan, Luke 10:30-37. So yes, I would say it is the epitome of a Christians existence, especially when we are to be like Christ in all our ways.

Evangelism comes in many forms from preaching the word of God, Matthew 28:18-20, to helping those who need help, Matthew 25:34-40, or just being the good Samaritan, Luke 10:30-37. So yes, I would say it is the epitome of a Christians existence, especially when we are to be like Christ in all our ways.
It sounds like what you're really saying is love is the epitome of what it means to a Christian.

"eagerly desire the greater gifts.
And yet I will show you the most excellent way.
1If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing." (1 Corinthians 12:30 NASB, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NASB)

Paul is telling us through the Corinthians what is more important than gifts and sacrifices. So, I guess the question is, is evangelism really the epitome of living for and serving God? Or is character the epitome of what it means to be a Christian?

I would not call myself an evangelist as I think we or me understand it. I am not called to preach Christ to the masses or in church. I do feel however that in my every day life I'm called to be like Christ.

Words mean nothing without action. I could say I belive in Christ yet my actions can betray my words.

To me character comes from living for God, wanting to be more like Jesus, love people like God loves me as he loves everyone he has created. For myself that is my evangelism.

It sounds like what you're really saying is love is the epitome of what it means to a Christian.

"eagerly desire the greater gifts.
And yet I will show you the most excellent way.
1If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing." (1 Corinthians 12:30 NASB, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NASB)

Paul is telling us through the Corinthians what is more important than gifts and sacrifices. So, I guess the question is, is evangelism really the epitome of living for and serving God? Or is character the epitome of what it means to be a Christian?
I believe all we do for others starts with Gods unconditional love:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I believe all we do for others starts with Gods unconditional love:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The following verse blows my mind;

John 17:22-23
“I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me

God loves us as much as he loves Jesus, God loves all he has created as much as he loves Jesus.

We need to remember that. We need to beleive it, we need to walk in it and we need to show it as Jesus did.

The following verse blows my mind;

John 17:22-23
“I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me

God loves us as much as he loves Jesus, God loves all he has created as much as he loves Jesus.

We need to remember that. We need to beleive it, we need to walk in it and we need to show it as Jesus did.

It's hard for me at times to fathom such a love and took me many years to understand it. It's hard to love your enemies, but when we were enemies to God at one time He stilled loved us enough to have His only begotten Son to die for us. Thank you Jesus for loving a sinner such as I.

I think that our spreading the good news and bringing others to God, (or at least trying and not neglecting another), is very important. And that is what I think if the most when I hear about evangelism. There are other ministries that we can do or that a church can do, that can include evangelism of our faith in God. Or a ministry can focus on the needs that are needed in the community and the wotld around us, and let our teaching and sharing take the lesser priority.

However, that said, I also think when it come to the important matters of our following Jesus and our faith. Evangelism being among those important matters. They are shared in importance to the degree that they are all matters that as a church we need to meet.

A house needs plumbing, electricity, stable shelter with a roof and walls. No one would look at a plot of land to build a home and say "lets focus on the plumbing and ignore the other needs." We should not think in that way either regarding the responsibilitirs and needs of the church.

To me character comes from living for God
I would be more inclined to think living for God comes from character. For example, we show kindness because God has first nurtured his kindness in us. We love because God has developed his love in us first. And so on...

I would not call myself an evangelist as I think we or me understand it.
I would not either. I simply do not have that gift. And I don't think the church should expect everyone to have that gift. A church is a collection of ALL the gifts, not just one. But we seemed to have pigeon-holed evangelism as the only one that matters and is the supreme duty of every Christian and church.

wanting to be more like Jesus, love people like God loves me as he loves everyone he has created. For myself that is my evangelism.
I agree. It's not evangelism in the strict definition of that office, but it's being a witness for Christ. In regard to how that affects people, whether it be birthing them into the kingdom, growing them up within the kingdom, or whatever, all Christians witness to the grace of God in their lives in one form or another. The church should not focus on the birthing part (evangelism) as if it's the only thing the body of Christ and churches exist to do.

It requires power to live for Jesus. Therefore every Believer should ask our Sovereign Father in heaven in the name of Jesus to be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power. 1 Corinthians 4:20 NASB (The Message of the Cross changes lives, and does so by the Power of God.)

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment" (Matt 22:36-38, NIV)

Notice Jesus didn't say the greatest commandment was to go to all the world preaching the gospel. As important as that may be, it was further down the list. The greatest and most important, what I suppose you would call epitome of the Christian's existence, is to love God.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment" (Matt 22:36-38, NIV)

Notice Jesus didn't say the greatest commandment was to go to all the world preaching the gospel. As important as that may be, it was further down the list. The greatest and most important, what I suppose you would call epitome of the Christian's existence, is to love God.
Question? God is a spirit (John 4:24), how can a Believer keep the greatest commandment without failing?

Question? God is a spirit (John 4:24), how can a Believer keep the greatest commandment without failing?
The same way we keep any commandment without failing. We don't. That's why Jesus had to die to grant us forgiveness. I don't see what this has to do with the thread.

Great question Jethro.
Makes one really think about exactly what it is we're doing here - I mean in the world.

I like your last paragraph in post 10 answering to wrg1405:
I agree. It's not evangelism in the strict definition of that office, but it's being a witness for Christ. In regard to how that affects people, whether it be birthing them into the kingdom, growing them up within the kingdom, or whatever, all Christians witness to the grace of God in their lives in one form or another. The church should not focus on the birthing part (evangelism) as if it's the only thing the body of Christ and churches exist to do.

And especially the underlined, which reminds me of something Saint Francis said:
Preach the gospel always
And when absolutely necessary
Use words

So, yes, speaking about God is important - not only when witnessing, but always, as if He were a normal part of your life, this is especially true if there are children in a home - they could come to know God in a natural way.

But it's also important to testify with your life. It's useless to preach if you're not going to practice. In fact, I'd say it does more harm than good.

So, it's not easy to answer your question. Is it the epitome?
Jesus told the Apostles to go into the world and preach the gospel.
He also said to feed the hungry and clothe the poor.

Maybe in order for us to want to feed the hungry and clothe the poor
we must first believe? And how does one come to believe unless by hearing the gospel.
And was not Jesus' first concern getting souls to be saved?

Wondering

:rocking"I left the 99 to find the one...and you're the one."

Jesus did come to seek and save the lost...because that is love.

.....fully equipped for EVERY good work. Tim3:16.

The same way we keep any commandment without failing. We don't. That's why Jesus had to die to grant us forgiveness. I don't see what this has to do with the thread.
Who keeps this commandment? It is very important that Believers learn from what we post.

Who keeps this commandment? It is very important that Believers learn from what we post.
I simply don't understand what point you are trying to make. Maybe it would be better if you would just say what's on your mind.

...is it really the epitome of the Christian's existence?

Having our lives conformed to the image of Christ, through the process of transformation, and facilitating this in others, so that Christ Himself expresses His righteous life through us.

Christ formed in us, in all the fullness of the stature of a perfect [complete] man.

If it's Christ, God is pleased.
If it's Christ, then it's love.
If it's Christ, then it's grace and truth...

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

Having predestined us to conformed to the image of His Son...

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back