Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"At our church, there are several with tatts, including several middle aged women"

Does it surprise you? "At our church, there are several middle aged women with tatts"

• I find it difficult to admit my thoughts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Re: "At our church, there are several with tatts, including several middle aged women

Whether or not these people are sharing the Gospel is an important issue...whether or not they have ink on their bodies is not...
No, no, no...nothing could be further from the truth. What matters is that they are LIVING the gospel. But when a believer chooses to get tattooed it's like a person insisting they're a Christian, even living faithfully to Jesus, but holding a whiskey bottle in one hand. The Whiskey bottle doesn't automatically mean they're drinking to excess and getting drunk. What it does is diminish the credibility of their witness and actually does more to convince unbelievers they can stay in their old lives than it does to lead them out of their old lifestyles. You have to remember, tattoos on an unsaved person were not put there for righteous reasons. For them it signifies their old lifestyle and thought processes--not God's. But we send the message that those old motivations can come with them into their life as a Christian--which they can not.

Re: "At our church, there are several with tatts, including several middle aged women

No, no, no...nothing could be further from the truth. What matters is that they are LIVING the gospel. But when a believer chooses to get tattooed it's like a person insisting they're a Christian, even living faithfully to Jesus, but holding a whiskey bottle in one hand. The Whiskey bottle doesn't automatically mean they're drinking to excess and getting drunk. What it does is diminish the credibility of their witness and actually does more to convince unbelievers they can stay in their old lives than it does to lead them out of their old lifestyles. You have to remember, tattoos on an unsaved person were not put there for righteous reasons. For them it signifies their old lifestyle and thought processes--not God's. But we send the message that those old motivations can come with them into their life as a Christian--which they can not.

Jethro:

I wholeheartedly agree with the wisdom of avoiding alcohol.

But if one were to try to equate whiskey with a decent, faith related tattoo such as a Bible ref. on a wrist: really it's apples and oranges.

Again, can I ask whether you really think a pastor's wife or a soccer mom with a Bible ref. on her wrist is indicative of a likely drunkard or someone who likely cheats on her husband? (These are not my perceived, they are yours, more or less.)

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:

kudos to her for having such a trim and toned body at 42

Never married, no kids, lots of exercise swinging around the pole. Not to mention a pretty mild lifestyle.

I got to tell you though, I was kind of put off when I met her. Something about all the tatts and the pole dancing job made me not like her at first.

Never married, no kids, lots of exercise swinging around the pole. Not to mention a pretty mild lifestyle.

I got to tell you though, I was kind of put off when I met her. Something about all the tatts and the pole dancing job made me not like her at first.

joe:

So what is your point, really: that your initial prejudices were right? or wrong?

(But anyway I'm sure most women, with tattoos or not, don't expect to come to a church service in a swimsuit like the one worn by the person in the picture you posted. The person in your photo has many tattoos; most women with some don't get as many as those, but anyway.)

Blessings.

Religion tells you what you can and cannot do and becomes socially acceptable by mans interpretations, traditions and doctrines. Religion is what nailed Christ to the cross because this Bible is not socially acceptable to society, if it were then Christ would have died in vain. Tattoos also are not socially acceptable either and those who have them are an easy target to get shunned by society.

Stan53:

It's really hard to argue that a believer has a bad intention in getting a faith related tattoo design. And I think you would have been annoyed if someone seriously tried to tell this to your daughter and sons, right.

Blessings.

Well my eldest son did try to discourage them but I gave them my counsel and they did what they felt was right to do. My daughter was a different kettle of fish. She did what she wanted without consulting me at all. That is the way it goes sometimes with your children.

The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mygraine:

Yes, the development you mention has also been more widespread elsewhere in North America. The inclusion of women and Christians in the tattoo parlor scene in many localities are welcome developments.

You are right; when Christian women own tattoo parlors, or when Christian women are tattoo artists, they certainly make it more welcoming and comfortable for other Christian women especially, who might have been interested in exploring tattoo possibilities, but for whom what you rightly call 'the dark alley tat shop scene' might have been rather forbidding.

So your wife has indicated she is no longer intimidated by tattoo parlors run by Christian women? would any advance or progress in plans she may have had be directly attributable maybe to your area's increasing ownership of tattoo parlors by Christian women?

Blessings.

Well my eldest son did try to discourage them but I gave them my counsel and they did what they felt was right to do. My daughter was a different kettle of fish. She did what she wanted without consulting me at all. That is the way it goes sometimes with your children.

Stan53:

Yes, well I guess they did it, 3 out of the 4 of them, anyhow, one way or another.

Was it a surprise when you discovered that your daughter had wanted to do it, too? (I mean, had you up till then assumed it was going to be a guy thing only, among your kids?)

Blessings.

Stan53:

Yes, well I guess they did it, 3 out of the 4 of them, anyhow, one way or another.

Was it a surprise when you discovered that your daughter had wanted to do it, too? (I mean, had you up till then assumed it was going to be a guy thing only, among your kids?)

Blessings.

Nope. didn't surprise me one bit.

Nope. didn't surprise me one bit.

Stan53:

Okay. As with your daughter, I guess it's kind of a bit like the overwhelming response to the poll, above, that it's really no surprise that several women of a certain age in handy's church have had it done, too.

You know, there's really now no issue at all with Christian women getting tattoos as well as guys, is there?

Blessings.

Stan53:

Okay. As with your daughter, I guess it's kind of a bit like the overwhelming response to the poll, above, that it's really no surprise that several women of a certain age in handy's church have had it done, too.

You know, there's really now no issue at all with Christian women getting tattoos as well as guys, is there?

Blessings.

Not from my POV. They still need to get Jesus' input on it though.

One thing about tatts that younger people, really anyone of any age, needs to keep in mind is one never knows where God will call one. Sporting a tatt here in America is not really going to raise too many eyebrows (Jethro's excepted ;) ) but one does need to consider where else one might wind up in life.

When I was 18 (legal age to get a tatt) I never even remotely dreamed I would be called to go overseas for a mini mission... but in 1987, there I was in Ireland, witnessing on the streets of Dublin. Frankly, with the punk scene in full force then, those of our group who had tattoo's (a couple of the guys) and piercings (one of the girl's had a nose stud) seemed to be very approachable by the punks... we all were able to speak with them, but they were just more relaxed and ... chatty... with those who had tatts and piercings.

However, that same year a friend of mine had an unexpected opportunity to go to Papua New Guinea. Now in Papua New Guinea, a tattoo would have a wholly different meaning... one that would be very hard to divorce from abject paganism. Having one would have been a huge hindrance to his ministry there. He didn't have one and that one, unexpected opportunity, wound up being his springboard to full time ministry in that country.

Just something to keep in mind. As with most things like this, I believe tattoos are fully lawful... but sometimes not profitable.

So yes, as Stan says, seek Jesus' input about it. If one is understanding in their spirit that Jesus would not have them get one, perhaps it's because Jesus has something specific in mind for later.

Not from my POV. They still need to get Jesus' input on it though.

Stan53:

Well, exactly. Far from it being some kind of issue, the fact that a Christian woman (as well as a Christian man) might want to get
God-honoring tattooing done is commendable, really, isn't it?

Blessings.

handy:

Yes, you're right. A personal sense of guidance and vocation is very important, including for a tatt. As well as the circumspection and restraint of which you advise consideration, there can also be for some people a positive motivation for getting them, like you say: "those of our group who had tattoo's .. seemed to be very approachable ..they were just more relaxed ..with those who had tatts". So it's a matter of individual conviction, isn't it? Blessings.

mygraine:

So your wife has indicated she is no longer intimidated by tattoo parlors run by Christian women? would any advance or progress in plans she may have had be directly attributable maybe to your area's increasing ownership of tattoo parlors by Christian women?

Blessings.

[SIZE=3

Blessings.
[/SIZE]

My wife had tatts before Christ, and she is not exceptionally intimidated by the dark alleys. But it does seem that in most secular tattoo shops the king is green, and you can get any sort of atrocity for a price. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists and neither of us have been inked in 14 years. I am torn on the subject myself. I have some convictions so I have put it on the back burner. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available.

Sent through the interwebs from a time vampire smartphone.

Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone. Personally i dont if some one has tatts...

How does the scripture fit into the discussion.

Like we disregard it because it is OT. And we are not under the law..

Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone. Personally i dont if some one has tatts...

How does the scripture fit into the discussion.

reba:

Ty for the comment. The same passage speaks of men not trimming the corners of their beards. (How many preachers shave?) It also says 'for the dead', the immediate reference being apparently to pagan necromancy. I am wondering if the context refers to Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

Romans 14 also commends strongly New Testament believers to be persuaded in their own minds and respecting others' consciences.

Blessings.

My wife had tatts before Christ, and she is not exceptionally intimidated by the dark alleys. But it does seem that in most secular tattoo shops the king is green, and you can get any sort of atrocity for a price. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists and neither of us have been inked in 14 years. I am torn on the subject myself. I have some convictions so I have put it on the back burner. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available.

Sent through the interwebs from a time vampire smartphone.

mygraine:

This is interesting, thank-you. You were also saying before that, when the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women and I suppose by what you say above I'm wondering if to some extent there may more recently been a renewing of
a kind of aesthetic sympathy again for the professional environment of your Christian women tattoo artists, after years of avoiding it?

Maybe this is quite significant, I don't know.

Do you think that if this is the case, any new designs acquired might more likely be specifically faith related in character?

Your comments are constructive and thought provoking, thank-you.

Blessings.

That's right. We are NOT under the OT written Law and definitely NOT under the Levitical Law. Quite frankly I'm surprised you feel we are in this or ANY regard.

That's right. We are NOT under the OT written Law and definitely NOT under the Levitical Law. Quite frankly I'm surprised you feel we are in this or ANY regard.

Stan53:

I can definitely understand what you are saying.

I think there is also an element of it maybe going either way in terms of people's consciences/preferences. Some people maybe have read the passages, such as Romans 14 re. Christian liberty, and still might not want to do it. Others — and the several women in handy's conservative church might well come into this category — may have considered it carefully in the light of Scripture and have definitely felt free to receive tattoos.

Blessings.

reba:

Ty for the comment. The same passage speaks of men not trimming the corners of their beards. (How many preachers shave?) It also says 'for the dead', the immediate reference being apparently to pagan necromancy. I am wondering if the context refers to Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

Romans 14 also commends strongly New Testament believers to be persuaded in their own minds and respecting others' consciences.

Blessings.

I agree farouk i don't have tatts but my ears are pierced JUST ONCE :yes

Any one here happy to commit adultery?

Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

I agree farouk i don't have tatts but my ears are pierced JUST ONCE :yes

Any one here happy to commit adultery?

Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

reba:

Thanks for your comment, but I don't quite follow what you are saying or asking here?

Blessings.

PS: And I'm sure your amount of ear piercings are out of preference rather than because there is supposedly chapter and verse about such a subjective issue. :)

Back