Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Autism screening this week

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

lmw

My mother and I are bringing my son in to be screened for autism on Thursday of this week. Since we have to go 3 hours away we are both taking time off work and getting a hotel over there. It would be a lot of traveling in one day. As it gets closer, I've noticed I'm getting touchy, I'm working today and I've had to hold back tears. My boss isn't making it easy, I've had my time off written on the calendar for 3 months and today, for the 7th time she asked me to work on Wednesday. I did everything I could to hold back and not yell at her, over the phone. Each time prior to this I've told her I can't work because we are leaving Wednesday morning and my answer has always been No.

I know it isn't the end of the world and the trip itself is freaking me out a little more than the diagnosis part, my son doesn't travel well. I've already pretty much came to the conclusion that he will probably be diagnosed with autism, somewhat mild though which is good. I've done my research so it took a lot of the scariness out of the whole thing... but it is still hard to wrap my head around.

I'm convinced Gunnar's dad was autistic, just never diagnosed correctly, my husband died 10 months ago. This diagnosis will just open doors to some help and tools. It's tough, he is a handful. I'm use to the chaos but I want to make sure my son gets all the help he can get.

I didn't mean to type so much, guess I needed to vent.. haha. :bigfrown
Thanks for your prayers

Hope it goes okay for you, with your son's medical visit. (Friendly advice: Beware of 'borderline' diagnoses. I am sure that autism is a valid and verifiable medical condition, although as with so many symptoms the less pronounced cases can be fuzzy at the edges. If for example it's 51 % versus 49 %, and the medical practitioner feels you WANT the diagnosis to be positive for whatever reason, then beware of taking on board a whole set of treatments and even way of life, based on what might be only slightly more than inconclusive evidence. I don't know your son, of course, and hope that the best will be done for him.)

My prayers are with you & your family, lmw, not only for safe travel but for correct diagnoses for your son.

You are a child of God... stand firm that He is with you, and let His peace give you comfort through this trying time.

Blessings!

I hope all goes well, but whatever the outcome, take him to a naturopath to see if there's something going on there, maybe check for allergies as well.

One of my greatest fears for you or anyone with similar circumstances, is that the kid will be labeled with a "condition" which plays on one's subconscious the rest of their lives that there's "something wrong" that they will always (like an invalid) have to be "under a doctor's care". And BTW, they'll say "here's a pill you'll have to have him take the rest of his life".

No it does not have to be that way. That's not healing. That's managed dependency (although who knows? Maybe some people like to live that way and strip their freedoms away, but I know I'm not like that.) With proper diagnosis and treatment these things can be controlled. If your son becomes his own expert on the situation can manage himself and maybe even find a cure for the rest of his life one day. Besides, as the song goes, we have an awesome God. But be cautious. If you just rely on the medical way for advice, you'll be in this "prayer request" forum often wondering why nothing ever changes. In all fairness, I should not give all doctors a bad rap. There's some good doctors out there. The way you can tell them is if the boy gets better and they don't always have you running back for more exams and pills.

So far it has be a long process with the screening. He was in a program and the coordinator of that is a family friend who I've known since 2004. She goes to homes of children who need extra help, her and a speech therapist. It's been over a year we suspected something wasn't right with him. Two very close family friends happen to have Aspergers syndrome, a mild form of autism, and they were the first to mention we should maybe look in to getting him screened, and that was over a year ago. They spend a lot of time with my son, Monica is friends with my mother, and her 22 yr old son Jeff and Gunnar are buddies. They get to see each other at church every Sunday. So so far it hasn't been the medical community trying to LABEL him, I went through that with my husband, they put all sorts of labels on him and his mental illness. So I'm proceeding with strong faith. So far all of the advice has came from very true and honest Christians, the screening process is the first step in the medical industry.

My social worker friend (also Christian) refered me to the Early Autism Project in Wisconsin who is doing the screening. So I've taken it slowly so far, not to jump into it and say hey diagnose my kid!!!

Thanks for your continued prayers and support :)

Its been months since Gunnar had a cold, he woke up with one yesterday, came out of no where too!! So that added a layer of crabbiness to the whole thing. The trip was terrible because I had to drive in a thunderstorm the whole entire way. Driving in that kind of weather on an interstate freeway is not fun at all. God blessed me with a new car in February, without that, we'd be walking I'm sure!! We made safely despite the weather, Gunnar only cried for about 45 minutes.

Sleep was hard, Gunnar coughed and when he wasn't coughing, he was talking in his sleep, I always forget how much noise he makes while he sleeps! Thankful we don't have to share rooms!!

Anyway, thanks for your prayers... it has already helped a lot. Thank you.

I will indeed pray for your child. I pray that God will spare your child of this malady. I pray that our loving Father will give you both strength in this time of fear and anxiety. I pray for the doctors that God will help them use their skills to correctly diagnose your child and, if need be, develop treatment and counselling plans for your family. :pray

Praying for you and your son. As sorry your work is not understanding.
Praying that you will see what it is. Believe me it took me years to find out what Asbergers was.
As I was diagnosed at 22. Back fifteen years ago and now I am 37-years old. Really hope that you can get the answers. As the Great Healer and Physician knows what you all are going through.
Been in your shoes as well!

Back