Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Autobiographies

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi all
I love reading autobiographies anyone else? wondered if any of you had read any good autobiographies, list down all the ones you have read and highlight ones you would recomend?

i've read these:
Michael Vaughn (a year in the sun)
Michael Atherton
Alec Stewart
Kevin Peitiersen
Shane Warne (My Story)
Andrew Flintoff x3 (My life in pictures, being Freddie and my world)
Monty Panesar
Duncan Fletcher
Michael Simkins (for the cricket)
Steve Harmison
Marcus Trescothick
Matthew Hoggard
Martin Johnson
Jeremy Guscott
Johnny Wilkinson
Jason Robinson
Richard Hammond x2 (on the edge and As you do)
The night of a million miracles (about Open Doors smuggling 1 million bibles into China)
Reading: Graham Thorpe, Darren Gough and secret believers

Looking to get a load more though :)

The ones I would reccomend are:
Jason Robinson (Rugby player, turned christian)
Martin Johnson (Rugby player)
Marcus Trescothick (cricketer)
Matthew Hoggard (cricketer)
Kevin Peitiersen (cricketer)
Andrew Flintoff- Being Freddie (cricketer)
Duncan Fletcher (cricketer/ cricket coach- mainly coach)
Richard Hammond- on the edge (TV Presenter)
The night of a million miracles

"The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom is an excellent - though sad at times - autobiography. It was written by a woman about her experiances during World War II with persecution and her (Christian) faith. A very good read.

Cheyenne K said:
"The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom is an excellent - though sad at times - autobiography. It was written by a woman about her experiances during World War II with persecution and her (Christian) faith. A very good read.

thanks

I also love biographies but since I don`t have an English bookstore near me I just read what I can get my hands on. I can`t be too selective.
I also read The Hiding Place which was excellent.
The Diary of Anne Frank a classic!
Joni by Joni Erickson Tada. It was really good.
I tried reading Pat Robertson`s biography but I couldn`t get through it. It just didn`t hold my attention.
Sensei is a really good biography but it is out of print.
I love the verbal testimony of Darlene Rose but her autobiography Evidence Not Seen is poorly written. I feel only older elementary children would enjoy it.
I read My Life without God which was an interesting biography of the son of Madalyn O`Hair, a famous atheist. He described life growing up in an atheist household and how he finally found God.
Kaffir Boy is the kind of book that will stick with you.
Prison to Praise was a good quick read.
The Siberian Seven was interesting from a historical perspective.
Daughter of a Samarai was good.
Yoneko was good.
A Cross and a Switchblade is really worth the read. It is memorable.
I read Maria Von Trapp`s biography. It was not well written but it was interesting to see how different her story really was from how The Sound of Music portrayed her life.
I read both Nicky Cruz and Israel`s biographies from A Cross and a Switchblade. Nicky`s was much better.
Dino
Adoniram Judson I could only get part way through. I was expecting it to be a great read but it was just boring to me.
Murf the Surf is about a jewel thief coming to know God.
Michael Michael, Why Do you Hate ME? is about an Orthodox Jew coming to Christ.
Life Sentence was good by Colson.
Night by Elie Wiesel was sobering.
Revolution in World Missions is sort of a biography. It has been a while since I read it. It was a little preachy but good.
The Lost Boy will make you cry!
Tony Our Journey Together would open your eyes to the juvenile prison system in Mexico.
Years ago I read Brother Andrew`s biography which was really good.
Totto-chan although it is not a Christian book, it is well written and charming. It stirred all sorts of emotions in me.
"Why Me?" was an excellent book of a rabbi learning to come to grips with his disabled son. I think today we would label his son as autistic but when he wrote the book there was no such a label so he was just called retarded.
I`ve read other biographies but that`s all I can think of right off.
I tried reading a biography on James Herriot but it was too boring because it was not well written.

It looks like you just read men`s biographies though! And you like sports biographies. Maybe you should read Bear about Bear Bryant or a book by Ken Hutcherson. I love to hear Ken speak. He has a great perspective on things.

Oh I almost forgot, a really good autobiography I read was The Aquariums of Pyungyang. It gives you a rare look into life in North Korea.

I like biographies and autobiographies.

Favourites from memory -

(not in order)

The Hiding Place (definatly worth a read)
Gods Smuggler (brother andrew - as above)
The Beautiful Side of Evil
Sadhu Sundar Singh
The Autobiography of George Mueller
West With The Night (secular but beautifully written)
Dove
Home Is The Sailor
We Dance Because We Cannot Fly
The Unusual Suspect - Stehpen Baldwin
sports -
Occy (surfer)
Pipedreams - kelly slater
What If I Had Never Tried It - valentino rossi
It's Not About The Bike - lance armstrong (excellent)
Every Second Counts - "

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back