Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Baptism of the Holy Spirit, is not at salvation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Acts 4:12 KJV
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

John preached repentance. In a state of repentance you are still lost. You know you have sinned, but you have a great need. Jesus is the solution. John the Baptist said.
John 1:29 KJV
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

eddif
Are you suggesting that we don’t need to repent?

Are you suggesting that we don’t need to repent?
Repent yes. - Fathers Baptism name through John the Baptist

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ - Sons Baptism

Receive the Holy Spirit - power to witness

I am not accepted as a Pentecostal.
I am explaining Godhead aspects of Baptism.

eddif

Repent yes. - Fathers Baptism name through John the Baptist

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ - Sons Baptism

Receive the Holy Spirit - power to witness

I am not accepted as a Pentecostal.
I am explaining Godhead aspects of Baptism
What do you mean by any of that?

All I asked was if you believe we need to repent for salvation.

Acts 4:12 KJV
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

John preached repentance. In a state of repentance you are still lost. You know you have sinned, but you have a great need. Jesus is the solution. John the Baptist said.
John 1:29 KJV
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

eddif
Are you saying because John preached repentance that when Jesus came repentance was done away with? 1 john 3:9

What do you mean by any of that?

All I asked was if you believe we need to repent for salvation.
On the way to salvation in Christ Jesus you repent.

Repent
And
Believe

I wish not to separate them.
Mark 1:15 KJV
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

eddif

On the way to salvation in Christ Jesus you repent.

Repent
And
Believe

I wish not to separate them.
Mark 1:15 KJV
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

eddif
Ok. :thumb I thought you were saying something different.

many are confusing the initial filling of the holy spirit with the baptism of the holy spirit.
Acts 19 asks a question, "have you received the holy spirit since you believed" meaning that you can recieve power after salvation, a particular filling of the holy spirit. The verses you speak of is general power given just through salvation. This is a particular gift, that allows one to have gifts of the spirit. Some may have the gift of the spirit but not know why< This is why. Acts 19 power. I will try to link a study to this post in a minute. But this power is available at any time. Just as a man would not deny his children bread, so too God will not deny His Holy Spirit to those who need it. If your ministry is burnt out or dry, so too like evangelicalism without the holy spirit, it too can be revived.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10QMvv1HNpDbL3-OKBzeeRdLLawQtQe12kPePhSWAIr0
Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Are you saying because John preached repentance that when Jesus came repentance was done away with? 1 john 3:9
I guess a little of my history is in order

I was baptized into the understanding of John's baptism at 12. Oh they water baptized me in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit, but all I really understood was Repentance.

At 24 I realized Jesus died so that I / we might have eternal life. I chose to not have another ceremony, but I accepted Jesus.

At 26 reading Corinthians ( at home), I began to speak in tongues. I did not know what was going on. My wife said (I think that is what Pentecostals do). I visit the Pentecostal preacher and run home.

With 12 years in John's baptism I know what repentance is. It is part of salvation, but without Jesus you are not there yet.

In Christ I had no power to really know or be what I needed to do. After tongues I devoured the Bible. Slowly things have changed.

It is not about me. It is about the Godhead.
Matthew 28:19 KJV
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Father - repent
Son - saved
Holy Spirit - empowered to be a servant

Teaching all.

Redneck
eddif

I am baptized in the name of Jesus (Acts 2:38) and in the name of the father son and holy spirit (matt 28:19.) Our church does both. But neither save us. As baptism does not save. But you are right, repentance without faith is just works. and does not save either. For grace we are saved Eph 2:8

it's the same power in acts 1:8, as in acts 19:2, chapter ninteen simply shows that this power is after salvation.
And once more I contest that as plcing an un righteous expectation on the nonbliever.

As I said earlier my KJV was gibberish in every New or Old Testament Book except for the Gospel of John, Chapter 3, to be specific. The very hour the Holy Spirit indwelt me the entire Bible read as clearly as the Comic Books written for third graders.

And once more I contest that as plcing an un righteous expectation on the nonbliever.

As I said earlier my KJV was gibberish in every New or Old Testament Book except for the Gospel of John, Chapter 3, to be specific. The very hour the Holy Spirit indwelt me the entire Bible read as clearly as the Comic Books written for third graders.
Are you contesting baptism of H.S. or are you contest salvific repentance?

Final warning
Anymore nonsense in this thread with personal disparaging remarks and points will be issued.(and everyone can read and understand insinuating comments)

I Corinthians 12:30 KJV
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

No, no, no.

eddif

Are you contesting baptism of H.S. or are you contest salvific repentance?
Holy Spirit, sorry, I thought you had read both posts, assumption, nasty habit. I will submit to you that I believe each member of the Triune God Head deserve reverence and to many of us, calling Him by His initials lacks a certain quality, familiarity I pray I never achieve personally. But I have laid hands on and watched God perform other miracles because f my intercession and I have no more power today than I had that night I left the three hundred dollar paycheck I thought I needed that night.

Holy Spirit, sorry, I thought you had read both posts, assumption, nasty habit. I will submit to you that I believe each member of the Triune God Head deserve reverence and to many of us, calling Him by His initials lacks a certain quality, familiarity I pray I never achieve personally. But I have laid hands on and watched God perform other miracles because f my intercession and I have no more power today than I had that night I left the three hundred dollar paycheck I thought I needed that night.
Yeah I had heard stories of miracles before being baptized with Holy Spirit. But afterwards I have seen dozens more than before. Not to mention having the word of wisdom, once, discernment another time and gifts of tongues continually.

I Corinthians 12:30 KJV
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

No, no, no.

eddif
But Paul says he speaks the gift "more than you all" 1 Cor 14:13. So he obviously sought the gift more than any other, and God heard him. But even though many may not have gifts of the spirit. They can still be baptized unto power and have the Holy Spirit fall on them to ignite their.ministry.

we are saved by faith John 3:16, but also through repentance of sin. you cannot believe in Christ and also believe in idols to save you.
By definition, John 3:16 precludes anyone "also believe in idols to save you". They're mutually exclusive.

But your first sentence suggests salvation is by 2 processes.

How does "repentance of sin" result in salvation, since Jesus Christ died once for all sin and completely paid the sin debt?

I do understand why every believer is to repent of their sins. But I don't understand how such repentance can lead to salvation.

Back