Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Basic Linux tutorial as requested.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This tutorial will teach you how to get started with installing Linux operating system on your computer.
*Alright so what you need is a thumb drive (4 gig or more) or a blank DVD you can burn, a computer, and some time/patience.
Also it is important to note that when you install linux onto a disk or thumb drive anything you do that you save will be saved to the disk or thumb drive and not your hard drive so you don't have to worry about messing anything up. However I would recommend getting a spare hard drive or learn how to partition your current hard drive so you can install it on your hard drive without having to boot your computer off a disk or thumb drive every time you want to use Linux.

*This tutorial will be assuming you have a dell computer running a windows operating system. However if you are not parts of the tutorial can easily be modified so it works for whatever you are running. Feel free to ask questions!

Okay here this is a tutorial for installing Fedora Linux on a flash drive and then booting from that flash drive:
Step 1: Download the ISO file from the Fedora project website (I suggest looking at other distributions other than fedora also just to see which ones fit your needs best. Fedora has a special place in my heart because it is easy to use and the first Linux OS I have ever used) http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Step 2: Next get a program called unetbootin. This program is what installs Linux on the thumb drive.

Step 3: Open unetbootin and click browse. Then select the ISO file that you saved on your computer earlier and click run. After the program finishes you are going to want to restart your computer and spam the F12 button until a menue pops up. When the boot menu pops up use the arrow keys to select your thumb drive and then press enter.

Step 5: Enjoy playing around with linux. If you decide you want to keep it forever there is an installation wizard on the Desktop of the linux operating system that will let you install it to your hard drive.

Burning linux to a live CD:
Step 1: Download the ISO file from the Fedora project website (I suggest looking at other distributions other than fedora also just to see which ones fit your needs best. Fedora has a special place in my heart because it is easy to use and the first Linux OS I have ever used) http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Step 2: Download a program called imgburn that can be located here: http://www.imgburn.com/
then open it up and click "burn image file to disk" . Then you will need to click the browse button and select the image file you downloaded earlier and click burn.

step 3: This will take some time but after you finish restart your computer and click the F12 button until you get to the boot menu.

step 4: Once there you will use the arrow keys to select that you want to boot from your CD/DVD and click enter.

step 5: Enjoy playing around with linux!

*an important thing to note is that linux will run much slower when booting it off of a CD instead of a thumb drive but is just as effective.

Enjoy and feel free to post questions!

I have used a Linux distro as my sole operating system since 2001 and can testify that Linux is useful as well as fun.

After having used a number of Linux distros over the years, including Fedora, I wouldn't suggest that as a first distro for those not used to Linux. Linux Mint or one of the other Ubuntu derivatives would probably be better.
The TOG

After having used a number of Linux distros over the years, including Fedora, I wouldn't suggest that as a first distro for those not used to Linux. Linux Mint or one of the other Ubuntu derivatives would probably be better.
The TOG

I'll second the recommendation for Linux Mint.. it was the easiest distro I've ever used - and I'm still partial to gnome 2.x

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back