Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Before Jesus, where did our souls go after death?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riven

Back in the days of ancient Greece, God was unknown in the world. Those that lived and died before Jesus and the cross, where did theur spirits go? To hell? To some kind of purgatory? I'm assuming they couldn't go to heaven.

You are right - heaven was closed.
The Jews believed that Hades (Sheol) was divided into two parts; one part for the damned and one part for the rest (also known as Abraham's Bosom (see Luke 16:19 onwards) with an unbridgeable divide between them.

Back in the days of ancient Greece, God was unknown in the world. Those that lived and died before Jesus and the cross, where did theur spirits go? To hell? To some kind of purgatory? I'm assuming they couldn't go to heaven.

A Jehovahs Witness will be along any minute here to lie to you on this unfortunately, as their teachings on this are one of their primary and most damning heresies. But if you were asking about the early church and New Testament teaching, they were in Paradise, which until the resurrection was located in Sheol, i.e. the Underworld.

I think I have a study on it. Let me find a link...

This one is decent. Numerous offhand references are made to it in the New Testament, along with several more blatant ones. This offhand one was in Colossians, and since I was teaching the book verse by verse I teach on the harrowing of Hell in this one here:

Great question.
Yes, Mungo is right. Luke 16.
They were waiting for Jesus to rip open the veil that enclosed the Holy of Holies...
Matthew 27:51
50And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.
51And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.

Everyone now had access to the Holy of Holies, not just the Priest.
And there is no further need for Hades since we all go where we belong after death...
the waiting is over.

Hi Riven

Well, I believe that our bodies and soul, after death, get the same treatment as those who died pre-Jesus. This is why Paul wrote that the time is coming when the dead in Christ will hear the trumpet sound of the archangel and rise up out of their graves to meet those who are still alive to go with him in the clouds.

God bless,
Ted

Back in the days of ancient Greece, God was unknown in the world.
Pretty sure the Hebrews go back farther than the Greeks.
Those that lived and died before Jesus and the cross, where did theur spirits go?
What difference does what people thought make? Reality doesn’t adjust to what people believe. People believe the truth or they believe what isn’t true, but the truth doesn’t change accordingly.
To hell? To some kind of purgatory? I'm assuming they couldn't go to heaven.
The righteous went to a holding place in the earth. They were then released when Jesus “took captivity captive,” those who believed.

Back in the days of ancient Greece, God was unknown in the world.

??? The God of the Israelites was not unknown "back in the days of ancient Greece." In fact, He was a known and worshiped deity long before Greece existed.

Those that lived and died before Jesus and the cross, where did theur spirits go? To hell? To some kind of purgatory? I'm assuming they couldn't go to heaven.

Read Luke 16:19-31.

Its written in Peter, about souls in prison in Hades. Before Jesus was crucified. It was impossible to live by the law. When Jesus was crucified. He spent 3 days in hell, called sheol or Hades. Its prison holding the disobedience of children. Many of them accept Jesus as their salvation, and we're freed. Christian people can repent and be forgiven for sins. Luke chapter 16, Jesus gave us analogy of Richman and Lazarus. Theirs two sides of the gulf. The righteous in paradise. The wicked and spirtualty dead in Hades or hell. Some people go to sheol. Because they won't repent and conform to God's standard.

Genesis 2:7 KJV says the Soul comes into existence only as a consequence of the union of the Body and the Breath of Life. Therefore, at death the Breath of Life returns to God just as It was when It came forth from God, the Body returns to the dust, and the Soul ceases to exist...until the one or the other of the two resurrections. In the same way, electric current passing through a bulb produces light. When you switch off the current, does the light continue shining on another plane of existence, or does it cease to exist?

At the Second Coming, the Resurrection of the Just takes place and the righteous rise to life eternal while the wicked drop dead in their tracks all over the Earth "at the brightness of His coming". Later, they rise in the Resurrection of the Damned, stand condemned before God, are cast into the Lake of Fire to burn according to each one's sins until they once again pass out of existence in the Second Death, a permanent death, a death from which there will be no resurrection.

So, Greeks who died long ago are just as dead now as the day they died, in "a state of insensibility" awaiting the call to come forth from the grave.

Last edited:
I don't figure it is any of my concern and it is probably best left in God's hands.

The same place they go now, to the grave to await the resurrection. Jn 5:28,29

Paradise.

The same place they go now, to the grave to await the resurrection. Jn 5:28,29

Yes, the physical body goes to the grave, waiting to be resurrected.

The spirit of saints go to heaven.

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

At death our spirit (inner man) separates from our physical body.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

Our spirit (inner man) does not stay with our body when we die.

We either go to heaven to be with the Lord, to await His return and return with Him to receive our glorified body at the resurrection or we go to hell.

But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-15

The saints in heaven will return with Him.

• even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
Revelation 19:11-14

• And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.

JLB

Yes, the physical body goes to the grave, waiting to be resurrected.

The spirit of saints go to heaven.

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

At death our spirit (inner man) separates from our physical body.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

Our spirit (inner man) does not stay with our body when we die.

We either go to heaven to be with the Lord, to await His return and return with Him to receive our glorified body at the resurrection or we go to hell.

But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-15

The saints in heaven will return with Him.

• even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
Revelation 19:11-14

• And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.

JLB
The "saints" actually do go to heaven at this time we believe JLB. Initially they went to the grave as did everyone including Jesus, awaiting the resurrection. The Bible states God resurrected Jesus on the third day, and we believe that the first resurrection (Rev 20:6) has taken place as well. So logically born again Christians who die now would be instantly resurrected to their heavenly reward. And again you are correct, their physical bodies would not be taken to the Kingdom of the heavens, since flesh and blood cannot inherit it.

The "saints" actually do go to heaven at this time we believe JLB. Initially they went to the grave as did everyone including Jesus, awaiting the resurrection. The Bible states God resurrected Jesus on the third day, and we believe that the first resurrection (Rev 20:6) has taken place as well. So logically born again Christians who die now would be instantly resurrected to their heavenly reward. And again you are correct, their physical bodies would not be taken to the Kingdom of the heavens, since flesh and blood cannot inherit it.

No born again Christ are not “instantly” resurrected to heaven.

The resurrection of the dead in Christ takes place at His coming, and takes place for all the dead in Christ at the same time.

Futhermore all the saints will be with Jesus where He is whether on earth or in heaven.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

• the dead in Christ will rise first.
  • Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.
  • And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

With them refers to the resurrected dead in Christ.

All the saints will be gathered together to Him at His coming.

But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.
1 Corinthians 15:20-22

• so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming

JLB

This forum is not open to debating differences. Please start a new discussion in an appropriate forum if you wish to express differing views.

No born again Christ are not “instantly” resurrected to heaven.

The resurrection of the dead in Christ takes place at His coming, and takes place for all the dead in Christ at the same time.

Futhermore all the saints will be with Jesus where He is whether on earth or in heaven.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

• the dead in Christ will rise first.
  • Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.
  • And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

With them refers to the resurrected dead in Christ.

All the saints will be gathered together to Him at His coming.

But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.
1 Corinthians 15:20-22

• so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming

JLB
All depends on whether the first resurrection has taken place JLB. If it has then logically those of the covenant would not go to the grave to await a resurrection, but rather be changed in the twinkling of an eye. In order as the scriptures you posted. As your verses from 1 Thes stated some would still be alive at Jesus' return, and they then would meet him in the air upon his return.

We believe the first resurrection has happened already, I gather you do not?

All depends on whether the first resurrection has taken place JLB.

Of course the first resurrection hasn’t taken place.

The resurrection of the dead in Christ occurs at Home s coming;
The Second Coming of Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:20-23

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 1 Thessalonians 4:15

JLB

Hmm, interesting question. . . We cannot know with absolute certainty where these souls of the ancient past who were culturally and territorially segregated from Judaism and Judeo-Christianity are currently dwelling at the moment. That is up to God. There could be infinite possibilities as to where these people could be temporarily or even permanently sent to. So I don't know.

However, I do know that our God is a just God who shows no favouritism, nor partiality; and He will judge people according to their works (Romans 2:6-11). Whoever He deems worthy to be saved, He will save. Whoever He deems unworthy to be saved, He will let them perish.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back