Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Believe" in the present tense

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am amazed that any Christian would call eternal security a "man made theology" when Jesus specifically stated in Jn 10:28. He's more than a man. He is the God-man. And He taught eternal security very plainly.

Those He gives eternal life shall never perish. Are there any conditions to never perishing in that verse for recipients of eternal life? No.
Eternal security is a man made theology and John 10:27-28 is twisted to try and find Eternal security in it. When all John 10:27-28 promises is "they" that hear and follow Christ are the 'they" that shall not perish, meaning not perishing is conditional upon hearing and following. The grammar, logic and context is being ignored to force the idea that one who does not hear and follow also shall not perish either.
Not a single verse implies the impenitent Christian 'shall not perish'.

lol. The irony is that your argument fails for not having ANY verses that out and out say that salvation or eternal life can be lost.

otoh, Jesus very plainly said those He gives eternal life shall never perish in John 10:28.

So there IS a proof text for eternal security. But many have chosen to disbelieve it.

Your so called proof text fails, it fails on grammar, logic and context.

27- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28- And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

To whom does the plural pronoun 'they' in verse 28 refer to?

The chances of a Christian losing their salvation is about the same as winning the Lottery.
The Loss of it concept has to remain as warning to deter some?
I know some Christians who are now safer as ex-Christians then to be in their local Churches where the Pastor sees them as nothing but Sex Objects.

God Bless

Of course he will. Jesus said that recipients of eternal life shall never perish. John 10:28

Your grasp of the present tense is erroneous.

Depends on what is meant here.

Salvation is conditioned on faith in Christ. John 3:15,16, 3:36, 5:24, 6:40. When the condition is met, salvation is given.

Salvation is unconditional after received. Jesus SAID those He gives eternal life shall never perish. No conditions put upon recipients. Jn 10:28

WHO are these "recipients" of eternal life??? According to the context of John 10:27-28 the "them" that are given eternal life are the ones that have a faithful hearing and following. What you continue to assume into the text is that eternal life is given to those that do not hear and follow in order to find protection for the man made theology of eternal security.

John 17, Jesus is praying to His Father over the Apostles given Him by God....

John 17:2 "As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him."
Judas was one of the 12 given to Christ thereby given eternal life.

John 17:12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled."

Judas was one that was "kept" by Christ but he fell from Christ's hand therefore no longer had eternal life given him for he did not maintain a present tense hearing and following of Christ.

The chances of a Christian losing their salvation is about the same as winning the Lottery.
The Loss of it concept has to remain as warning to deter some?
I know some Christians who are now safer as ex-Christians then to be in their local Churches where the Pastor sees them as nothing but Sex Objects.

God Bless

John 6:66 "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." Very easy and possible for Christians to become apostates.

John 6:66 "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." Very easy and possible for Christians to become apostates.
The thoughts here are
  • it's Impossible to Loose it.
  • Hard to Loose it,
  • it's Very easy and possible for Christians to become apostates.
Just trying to find a middle ground that we could all semi agree on? :lol

No it doesn't show that at all. This is just an erroneous misconception of the present tense. It means current action. Not sustained.

I challenge proof of this assumed "ongoing, sustained" action of the present tense from any legitimate source.

How much more proof is needed that you are attacking the present tense for it kills your OSAS argument.

Professor Kenneth Wuest translated John 4:13 in this way:
“Whosoever keeps on drinking of this water shall thirst again” (his emp.). He then comments: “Continual drinking at the wells of the world never quenches the soul’s thirst for heart satisfaction” (The Practical Use of the Greek New Testament, Chicago: Moody Press, 1946, p. 43).

Dana & Mantey (two Baptist scholars) note that the “principle tense” for representing “action as continuous” is the present tense (A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament, New York: Macmillan, 1968, p. 178).

A.T. Robertson, the greatest Baptist grammarian ever, wrote: “the present tense expresses incompleted action” (A Short Grammar of the Greek New Testament, New York: Hodder & Stoughton, 1908, p. 140).
https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1131-can-a-christian-ever-be-lost

So what verse says those that do NOT have a current action of hearing and following "shall not perish"? Not one verse.
So of one quits hearing and following, then his current action is NOT hearing and following yet John 10:28 says eternal life is given those that currently hear and follow.

The thoughts here are
  • it's Impossible to Loose it.
  • Hard to Loose it,
  • it's Very easy and possible for Christians to become apostates.
Just trying to find a middle ground that we could all semi agree on? :lol
It's not difficult for one to backslide.

Of course he will. Jesus said that recipients of eternal life shall never perish. John 10:28

John 10:28 does not teach the impenitent will be saved. Such an idea contradicts Luke 13:3; Romans 2:4-5; 1 John 1:7-10; the command to repent Jesus gave to some of the 7 churches in Asia Revelations chpts 2 and 3; Heb 6 speaks of Hebrew Christians at risk of fallng into a state where they would not be able to repent and be lost; plus a host of other verses commanding repentance.

FreeGrace said:
Your grasp of the present tense is erroneous.

Depends on what is meant here.

Salvation is conditioned on faith in Christ. John 3:15,16, 3:36, 5:24, 6:40. When the condition is met, salvation is given.

Salvation is unconditional after received. Jesus SAID those He gives eternal life shall never perish. No conditions put upon recipients. Jn 10:28

You have not proven anything you have said about the present tense. All you have done is deny the present tense shows a sustained ongoing action but given not proof.

27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
28 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

You cannot prove the pronoun "they" in v28 can refer to one that no longer presently hears and follows.

It's not difficult for one to backslide.

I know that for sure from experience, but then we have to create/judge the actual sin that crosses that Red Line for the Loss of it?

Maybe it's better for some to be Cold(in sin) then found Lukewarm(self righteousness) and it's possible that God Hardens their Hearts to Keep them in the Book of Life aka Saved? Revelation 3:16

They shall never perish is future.
Guaranteed from the MOMENT one receives eternal life.

Jesus' promise is for those who HAVE eternal life. And John 5:24 indicates WHEN that is; WHEN one first believes is WHEN they have eternal life.

So the promise of never perishing is applied WHEN one first believes. This is why eternal security is the truth.

Eternal security is a man made theology and John 10:27-28 is twisted to try and find Eternal security in it.
Instead of throwing out these baseless opinions about things, please explain what Jesus MEANT by His statement about recipients of eternal life NEVER PERISHING.

How could He say that if anyone who has been given eternal life CAN perish? No one has explained this.

When all John 10:27-28 promises is "they" that hear and follow Christ are the 'they" that shall not perish, meaning not perishing is conditional upon hearing and following.
Only those not proficient in the English language would maybe not understand the 2 verses. v.27 is a description of His sheep, which are those who are given eternal life.

v.28 is a very clear statement of fact; that those given eternal life SHALL NEVER PERISH. This is eternal security.

The grammar, logic and context is being ignored to force the idea that one who does not hear and follow also shall not perish either.
This charge is easily thrown around but is without merit or support from Scripture.

What did Jesus say about those He gives eternal life in John 10:28? They shall never perish.

Why some people demand to add conditions when Jesus didn't is amazing.

Jesus gives eternal life. They (recipients of eternal lie) shall never perish.

It's that simple.

Your so called proof text fails, it fails on grammar, logic and context.
Your so-called refutation fails, and refutes nothing about John 10:27,28.

27- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28- And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

To whom does the plural pronoun 'they' in verse 28 refer to?
His sheep, of course.

What is the outcome of GIVING eternal life to His sheep? All of them, btw.

They shall never perish.

If what Jesus meant you're claiming, then this is how He would have said it:
A: "I give them eternal life, and IF or AS LONG AS they continue to follow me, they shall never perish."

Compare with what Jesus actually said:
B: "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish."

I shouldn't have to ask, but is there a difference between A and B, or not?

Eternal security is a man made theology and John 10:27-28 is twisted to try and find Eternal security in it. When all John 10:27-28 promises is "they" that hear and follow Christ are the 'they" that shall not perish, meaning not perishing is conditional upon hearing and following. The grammar, logic and context is being ignored to force the idea that one who does not hear and follow also shall not perish either.

That is a very weak representation of the actual view of eternal security. And it comes in several flavors.

WHO are these "recipients" of eternal life???
An odd question for what I posted. However, I'm always happy to answer questions in order to help people understand the Bible.

The recipients of eternal life are those Jesus gives eternal life. So, who are they? Back in John 5:24, Jesus said, "he who hears and believes...HAS eternal life." So we know who the "who" are; believers. Also referred to as "His sheep" in John 10.

According to the context of John 10:27-28 the "them" that are given eternal life are the ones that have a faithful hearing and following.
The glaring problem with this notion is that to "follow" Jesus requires a lifestyle over time. So, what's the time length?
1. till death?
2. for some specified time period after initial faith in Christ?
3. Most importantly, where would any of this be taught in Scripture?

The reality is what Jesus taught in Jn 5:24. Those who hear and believe HAVE eternal life. That means they HAVE eternal life WHEN they FIRST believed.

But since you've abused the present tense so much, I'll do ya one better.

We know the present tense indicates time relative to the time of the speaker. Sooooo, did you believe WHEN Jesus stated what He did in John 5:24? No, of course not, as you hadn't been born yet. See the problem with that view? Yet, that view is actually closer to the truth than what you've claimed about the present tense, where the claim was made that only as long as one was believing presently were they saved. There is no such idea attached to the present tense.

What you continue to assume into the text is that eternal life is given to those that do not hear and follow in order to find protection for the man made theology of eternal security.
Nope. No assumptions on my side. The "they" and "them" in v.28 are believers, from John 5:24. And Jesus gives eternal life ONLY to believers, WHEN they believe. That's WHEN they HAVE eternal life.

So, no assumptions need to be made in Jn 10:28. The FACT is: those given eternal life shall never perish. Which is just another way of saying "eternal security".

Instead of throwing out these baseless opinions about things, please explain what Jesus MEANT by His statement about recipients of eternal life NEVER PERISHING.

How could He say that if anyone who has been given eternal life CAN perish? No one has explained this.

Only those not proficient in the English language would maybe not understand the 2 verses. v.27 is a description of His sheep, which are those who are given eternal life.

v.28 is a very clear statement of fact; that those given eternal life SHALL NEVER PERISH. This is eternal security.

This charge is easily thrown around but is without merit or support from Scripture.

What did Jesus say about those He gives eternal life in John 10:28? They shall never perish.

Why some people demand to add conditions when Jesus didn't is amazing.

Jesus gives eternal life. They (recipients of eternal lie) shall never perish.

It's that simple.
Rom.6:22

How much more proof is needed that you are attacking the present tense for it kills your OSAS argument.
lol.

I'm not attacking the present tense of the Greek. In FACT, I've revealed how you've abused it horribly.

Professor Kenneth Wuest translated John 4:13 in this way:
“Whosoever keeps on drinking of this water shall thirst again” (his emp.). He then comments: “Continual drinking at the wells of the world never quenches the soul’s thirst for heart satisfaction” (The Practical Use of the Greek New Testament, Chicago: Moody Press, 1946, p. 43).

Dana & Mantey (two Baptist scholars) note that the “principle tense” for representing “action as continuous” is the present tense (A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament, New York: Macmillan, 1968, p. 178).

A.T. Robertson, the greatest Baptist grammarian ever, wrote: “the present tense expresses incompleted action” (A Short Grammar of the Greek New Testament, New York: Hodder & Stoughton, 1908, p. 140).
https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1131-can-a-christian-ever-be-lost
I don't know the theology of any of these people, but this is what Dan Wallace says about the present tense in his text: Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics, on p. 514:

"With reference to aspect, the present tense is internal (that is, it portrays the action from the inside of the event, without special regard for beginning or end), but it makes no comment as to fulfillment (or completion). The present tense's portrayal of an event "focuses on its development or progress and sees the occurrence in regard to it internal make-up, without beginning or end in view."

"With reference to time, the present indicative is usually present time (in reference to the speaker/writer)."

The comment by Wuest is interesting. While Jesus did use the present tense for "drinks of this water", guess what He used for "drinks the water I give"? Aorist tense. And the result: never thirst again.

Re: Dana & Mantley's comment, by "continuous action" only means occurring presently. Like a sports game. When one is watching, that IS the present tense. And the action is continuous. But, like Wallace noted, no regard for beginning or end in view. Yet we all know sports games do NOT last forever.

And Robertson's comment actually refutes the idea that one must continue to believe in order to continue to be saved by noting the present tense notes "incomplete action". iow, it does NOT mean continuous action out into the future.

And NONE of these authors said ANYTHING about results of any present tense action tied to continuous ongoing action. That's where the problem lies with your claims.

So what verse says those that do NOT have a current action of hearing and following "shall not perish"? Not one verse.
Why would anyone need such a verse. Jesus said those who are given eternal life shall never perish.

Where are the conditions for recipients of eternal life to never perish? Please point them out. And don't bother with v.27, since that verse isn't tied to never perishing, but to WHO is given eternal life.

So of one quits hearing and following, then his current action is NOT hearing and following yet John 10:28 says eternal life is given those that currently hear and follow.
Irrelevant, since Jesus clearly indicated that those GIVEN eternal life shall never perish.

That removes ANY notion of conditions on the recipients. By the MERE FACT of being given eternal life, recipients shall never perish.

No one has or can show otherwise.

This is very clear verse on eternal security. There are NO clear verses on losing salvation.

John 10:28 does not teach the impenitent will be saved.
This is what it DOES teach: those given eternal life shall never perish.

Please answer this question:
Can anyone who has been given eternal life perish?

You have not proven anything you have said about the present tense.
I have shown how the tense has been ABUSED.

All you have done is deny the present tense shows a sustained ongoing action but given not proof.
Where has any legitimate Greek scholar ever claimed that the present tense is "sustained"? Your own citations didn't say that. In fact, Robertson noted the present tense is "incomplete action", which refutes your claim.

27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
28 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."
v.27 is a description of Jesus' sheep, the ones He gives eternal life.
v.28 is the result of being given eternal life: they shall never perish.

You cannot prove the pronoun "they" in v28 can refer to one that no longer presently hears and follows.
The verse itself proves your view incorrect. The basis for never perishing is to be given eternal life.

No one has refuted THAT.

Instead of OSAS, the better acrostic is OSNP; once saved, never perish.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back