Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Advice

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Navigator

Alright. I've decided recently that I want to read the Bible all the way through, no matter how long it takes...that's not an issue.

I've looked online on strategies to go about tackling this task and most of what I've read says these two things:

-Start in the New Testament, THEN read old (Revelations MAY be skipped and read at the end)
-And to only read 3-6 chapters a day, every day, for however long it takes you.

Now when reading in general; it is hard for me to stop reading once I get into it, so this second piece of advice is hard for me. At the same time, I know that reading the Bible in bulk can be counterproductive because I'll just be reading rather than thinking and reflecting on the words.

Is there any advice anyone here can give me as I start my Biblical journey?

If you really want to do this, I'd definitely use an established schedule, because you run the risk of doing too much and burning out. I've done that a few times just starting from the beginning to end, but I've seen schedules that are topical and some that are linear. It was not something I fully appreciated, because it became something I felt I had to do, rather than something I wanted to do. By that I mean I would want to read something on my heart, but I felt I had to stay on task.

I'm glad I did it though, and you might as well. I don't mean to talk you your of it. Go for it, if it's on your heart! :thumbsup

InTouch magazine has a section dedicated to reading the Bible in a year. They suggest passages to read and I think there are discussion questions provided to enhance your understanding of the material. You can subscribe for free or check it out on their website.

Personally, I'd start with the book of Genesis. It tends to answer a lot of questions most have about the beginning and such. Most bible plans I've seen start here also. But, which ever you do start with just be patient and take it slow and make sure you understand it. A study bible is very useful and worth it's weight in gold. Congrats on deciding to read it though. I'm sure you will enjoy it. God Bless.

Is there any advice anyone here can give me as I start my Biblical journey?

You are going to read interesting parts and boring parts. The Old Testament was kept for us to learn from the mistakes of Israel (1 Corinthians 10).

The Gospels tell us about Jesus, what He said, what He did, where He went. This is the core. Jesus said the the Holy Spirit would reveal the things of Jesus to us (John 16:13-14). The word of God is supernatural and works in and through us.

The letters to the churches tell us a lot about what we Christians frequently get wrong. For example the whole letter to the Galatians was written because they were starting down the path that leads to where the Pharisees were.

I would suggest getting an easy to read version that also places an emphasis on meaning like the Amplified Bible.

It is great to study passages in detail and get the 'meat' of what it says out. But, at times it is also important to get a broader understanding of the Bible.

In this case, I suggest reading the Bible cover to cover, ie Genesis to Revelation. I definately agree that a schedule is a good idea, as Mike suggested.

I heard from someone who read the Bible in a year that you can read it in a year if you read about 3 chapters a day.

It's not just enough to just read the bible like any other book, but to take your time not only reading it, but studying as you go along. First you want to ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding of what you are about to read so you can gain all you can from book to book. For me I take one verse at a time and never move on to the next one until I understand the first. This way then I gain so much knowledge of the whole chapter until I am at the end of the book. It's also good to take notes as you go especially when you have questions.

God bless you on your reading journey.

Hi there! Try using the NASB (New American Standard Bible). While in some respects it is a more collegiate level of words, it's phrasing is really easy to read. For example: Deuteronmony 5:1-5
1 Then Moses summoned all Israel and said to them:

“Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I am speaking today in your [a]hearing, that you may learn them and observe them carefully. 2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3 The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, with all those of [c]us alive here today. 4 The LORD spoke to you face to face at the mountain from the midst of the fire, 5 while I was standing between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire and did not go up the mountain.

On the idea of reading the Bible alot... I'm for that! I find that reading it once a quarter (4x a year) when I am able that God then can "remind" me of other verses I read "recently" and helps me clarify any confusion or questions when I reach a certain topic, for example.

I think some of your resistance comes from the devil / demons because the LAST thing they want any believer doing is knowing God's Word to them.. it IS the power of God. ;) May God bless your efforts.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back