Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Translation Accuracy

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

CSICop

I looked around all the forums but did not really see where this might fit in, so I figured with the discussion of theology here, it might be best suited under this category. I am sure it has been asked before, but neither did I really find anything recent. So...

Which version of the Bible is considered to be the most literal (ie close to original) translation in this day and time? I grew up on the KJV but have seen where it is erroneous in many places.

I am currently studying from the HCSB but have read some bad reviews about it (namely the anti-Southern Baptist crowd who refer to it as the 'Hard Core Southern Baptist' Bible."

I have yet to read the ESV, NASB, or NIV.

Is there even a version out there where the writers/scholars have done their best to try and make it as literal as possible without swaying one's preferential religious beliefs into the translation?

Is there a version that has say the Hebrew, Greek, KJV and 1 other all in the same for comparison?

Dangit I wish I could comprehend Hebrew and Greek. :study

others will more than likely have a different opinion but the ASV, have you read this version?
i agree with you about being able to read Hebrew and Greek, it would be nice. :yes
God bless -

i forgot to add, you could get a linear Bible, that has the hebrew/greek with comparisons to other versions.

I feel your pain!

I'm currently doing a study in Exodus, and I've found the NIV lacking, where the KJV is more clear (I'm not a huge fan of the KJV). That being said, I do like the ASV for study, but often I use the NIV and Net Bible :shrug . A friend of mine likes the ESV.

That being said, here's my latest delima...

KJV Exodus 4:10 And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

NIV Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

ASV Then Moses said to the LORD, "Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue."

Take a look at what's in bold in the ASV. The duration of time is broken into three distinct parts where as the other translations only outline two distinct durations of time.

Net Bible Then Moses said to the Lord, my Lord, I am not an eloquent man, neither in the past (27) nor since you have spoken to your servant, for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.â€

Although the NetBible reads about the same as the NIV, it has a great footnote for the duration of time.
27 Heb “also from yesterday also from three days ago†or “neither since yesterday nor since before that†is idiomatic for “previously†or “in the past.â€

With the aid of the footnotes, the duration that God has been speaking to Moses becomes clear that God has been speaking to Moses for at least three days.

Here is a Jewish Translation of the same verse.
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9865
Moses said to the Lord, "I beseech You, O Lord. I am not a man of words, neither from yesterday nor from the day before yesterday, nor from the time You have spoken to Your servant, for I am heavy of mouth and heavy of tongue."

Again, three distinct durations of time, yet expressed very clearly and concisely in our english language.

To address the idiom noted from the Net Bible, this is how the idiom is broken down by Jewish commentator Rashi.

neither from yesterday, etc.: We learn [from this] that for a full seven days the Holy One, blessed be He, was enticing Moses in the thorn bush to go on His mission: “from yesterday,†“from the day before yesterday,†“from the time You have spoken†; thus there are three [days], and the three times ???? [is mentioned] are inclusive words, adding up to six, and he was presently in the seventh day when he further said to Him, “Send now with whom You would sen†(verse 13),

CSICop said:
Which version of the Bible is considered to be the most literal (ie close to original) translation in this day and time? I grew up on the KJV but have seen where it is erroneous in many places.
There are different translation philosophies. I doubt I can be much help, but I want to comment anyway.
The NIV is a "semantic equivalent" translation. In other words the strive for accuracy or literalness in each context. This philosophy ends up with the greatest range of english words used for every greek word. I am an admirer of the skill of the NIV translators in making the greek both readable, and in choosing good english words to that are parallel with each greek word in the context. The disadvantage of the NIV is that it ends up with the largest range of english words for every greek word. That can be seen as an advantage, because if you want the range of meaning of every greek word, the NIV is exellent.
The KJV, NASB, ASV, and others strive more for having one english word for one greek word. This is a rotely literal translation that might not get the range of meaning, but is excellent for other kinds of bible study where you want to be able to see the same word in english for a greek word. However, this often results in clumsey readings in english.
I do use my greek NT. I even carry a GNT on my cell phone. I am do not know what to say about the issue of which is most "literal." There are advantages and disadvantages to each translation philosophy. The most word for word I would think is the ASV, is word for word what is meant by "literal?"

I have many bibles, but the one I use most is the NIV/KJV study bible. If there is a problem in translation, it will most likely show up. I also use the Strong's and NIV Exhaustive Concordances, along with the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon.

Which version of the Bible is considered to be the most literal (ie close to original) translation in this day and time?

Try this: Free software Bible download

http://www.e-sword.net/

Young's Literal, the Literal Version, and the Analytical/Literal Version are available there along with just about every other translation.

This is a subjective topic most the time. You are likely to get many different answers. It is a subject that may require you spend lots of time researching Bible translations and their history. Personally I do not subscribe to the notion that older is better. Many will say the NIV and many of the other translations not based on the TR, come from older mms', even if these mms' are of the minority and this makes them "better" (even if some of the older mms' were found in some trash).

I prefer a word for word translation over the thought for thought translation that Mondar mentioned above. I'd rather let the context determine the word's meaning instead of some translator's idea or opinion determining the English word equivalent. One of the best straight up literal translations is the Young's Literal Text. There is also the Literal interpretation by Jay Green called the LITV.

http://thewordnotes.com/litv/litv.htm

Both have their origins in the TR. I like KJV, NJKV, MJKV, and all the other "KJ" variations.

This is a pretty straight forward account of the history of the Bible, specifically the NT. Check it out:

http://www.biblelife.org/word.htm

When just reading for understanding, I use the New Living Translation (NLT). But if I am trying to dig into a scripture for the truth behind it, I will use Biblegateway.com to compare the scripture against the most commonly used translations. I try to get a concensus among the translations as they often make reference to why a certain word or phrase is used or not used in their translations.

Hi to all , and I grew up with the KJV , and am lost when I use anothe translation .

#1 , Translation are NOT inspired .
#2 , I like the Scofield notes in the KJV .
#3 , AND THE REASON , it is more dispensational .
#4 , I have a friend that was taught Greek by Dwight Pentecost and this friend has made a literal translation of Acts through Philemon with note at most all hard place and have learned some Greek from him and can call him anytime to check , Greek , case , tense , moods and voices .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back