Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible version

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
KJV-onlyism is a crock. Normally I would ignore this thread but I am aware of the damage such heretical beliefs do to young or uncertain Christians.

No TRANSLATION can be perfect. Greek & Hebrew cannot be trasnlated exactly into English and where it is tried often the result is nonsense which, of course, means that all translators 'adjust' the words to make enable the listener / reader to understand the sense of the words.

All modern bibles are ok. Find one you like and use it for your main one but read widely in other translations, study the scriptures using commentaries, small-group studies and pray often.

Kiwimac

Keep the discussions on the topic of the thread and do not lower this to a personal attack.

I have had the KJV version of the Psalms on audio cassette for many years and have never stopped appreciating the times of listening to the voice of Alexander Scourby who narrated them.

I do have other narrated KJV bible on DVD's by Stephen Johnston but No other narrator can compare to Alexander Scourby excellent style and emphasis in reading the Old English language! He is the best! Other narrators are monotone in comparison!

Today I purchased the whole bible on CD. at a good price at a discount retail store, I didn't pay the 99.00 price I got it at a discount which comes out to only 1.00 per disc and I get a really nice zipper case along with a free bonus DVD about the origins of the King James Bible. Some places sell it for 48.00 but I couldn't find any around town and I wanted it today Since I finally have the money. :) I waited a long time to get this set! And I finally have it! I am so excited! :-D

I can now listen to any part of the bible without being tied to my dvd player! I can jog or even drive my car while listening to the bible, I can wash dishes, clean the house, and even do my gardening while listening to the bible! I can even listen to while I fall asleep at night! And it is all narrated by my favorite narrator of all time!

There is no one else that knows how to bring to life the Old English better than Alexander Scourby

I thank God for blessing him as He did!
Read his bio here: http://www.bible-media.com/alexander-scourby.php

scourbysideshot0xg.jpg

62 discs all narrated by Alexander Scourby! :biggrin

Wonderful! Just wonderful! :-D

Relic said:
... I do have other narrated KJV bible on DVD's by Stephen Johnston but No other narrator can compare to Alexander Scourby excellent style and emphasis in reading the Old English language! He is the best! Other narrators are monotone in comparison!
Max McLean- not KJ though

http://www.listenersbible.com/listen.html

:-D

I also have James Earl Jones on CD reciting KJV Verses. 8-)

I have some guy doing the ESV. I like it w/o the dramatics.

By the way, I went to an Ordination on Saturday. VERY traditional church. They handed the Ordinand a Bible. Afterwards, I asked him what it was they gave him in this very tradiitional rite.

It was the ESV. :-D

Good!

D46 said:
Sorry but we don't have the original Greek or Hebrew these days. Some can't understand English much less Greek or Hebrew. I do wish you would do some research before you start making ludicrous and deceitful statement like this. You again prove your lack of knowledge.

If someone decides to produce a "new Bible version", then they must also convince Christians that there is a NEED and a justifiable CAUSE for the new version. One of the deceitful excuses being used today for producing new versions is that the King James Bible has been revised several times since 1611, and that a new revision is needed once again. While spreading this piece of deceitful misinformation, the KJV critics hold their breath, hoping that no one will be intelligent enough to ask for specific details about these "revisions". The many revisions that have occurred since 1881 bear NO RESEMBLANCE to the various EDITIONS of the KJV prior to 1881. The modern revisors are just trying to justify their sins!

There were only FOUR actual EDITIONS of the King James Bible produced after 1611: 1629, 1638, 1762, and 1769. These were not translations (like the new versions SINCE 1881), and they weren't even "revisions".

The 1629 edition was simply an effort to correct printing errors, and two of the original King James translators assisted in the work.

The 1638 edition of the KJV also dealt with printing errors, especially words and clauses overlooked by the printers. About 72% of the textual corrections in the KJV were done by 1638, only 27 years after the first printing.

Keep in mind the fact that printing was a very laborious task prior to 1800. Publishing a flawless work was almost impossible. Even today, with computers and advanced word processors, printing errors are still frequently made. Imagine what it was like in the 1600's!

Then, in 1762 and 1769, two final editions of the KJV were published. Both of these involved spelling changes, which became necessary as the English language became more stabilized and spelling rules were established.

There were no new translations, and there were really no new revisions published in 1629, 1638, 1762, or 1769. These were simply EDITIONS of the 1611 KJV, which corrected printing errors and spelling. Those who try to equate these editions with the modern translations are just being deceitful or stupid--or both. The many other so-called "revisions" of the KJV that occurred in 1613, 1616, 1617, and 1743 are nothing more than running changes and touch-up work at the printers. The REAL revisions and translations do not start appearing until 1881 (RV) and 1901 (ASV). So if some textual know-it-all walks up with a smirky grin on his face and asks, "So which King James Bible do you have, the 1611, the 1629, the 1638, the 1762, or the 1769?", I simply state that I have a 1769 edition of the King James 1611 Authorized Version. The Textus Receptus hasn't been revised or altered. How many times has the NIV and all the rest been REVISED? Four, six times. Last account I had the Nestle/Aland text was up to it's 27th revision from the 23rd not many years back.

So, stop leadilng people astray with something you obviously know very little about. Read your JW bible where they "peddle" the word of God instead of corrupt it. No wonder they chose the word peddle so they wouldn't be concerned about corrupting it.

2 Corinthians 2:17(KJV) For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

(NIV, NWT, etc) Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.

If you were to get up in most churches I know with a smart- alec tone about you won't read this or that, they'd have you out of there before you could yell for Westcott and Hort! Such arrogance is only exceeded by your ignorance of the bible corruptions.

Fact of the matter is, the KJV is dated, the English is not understood by most folk, later manuscripts of the Hebrew and Greek have been found which have led scholars to alter the text in order to make it MORE like the original than the KJV was.

Use the KJV if you like, there are however better translations.

I happened to be clearing out some old boxes in the upstairs storage bin, and I ran across that old green padded hardcover edition of the Living Bible, which I haven't seen for years. I took it downstairs with me, and began to read it. All the old excitement of reading the Bible came back to me as I again pored over the pages of this paraphrased Bible. How enjoyable and exciting it was! I have decided to keep using that old Living Bible. I can understand why it sold over 46 million copies during one or two years after it came out. People were reading the Bible like they never read it before. I have seen older people carrying this particular edition, and it had turned dark brown from so much use.

As I wrote before, I'll write it once again, it's a matter of MSS.

The Geneva Bible has been released with an update using modern English. The MSS are of the same family as the AV1611 and worth looking into. As it stands right now, I own 28 study Bibles, most in leather. If I order another Bible [my wife will kill me] it would be just plain greed.

http://www.tollelegepress.com/gb/geneva.php

Peace,

jm

JM said:
As I wrote before, I'll write it once again, it's a matter of MSS.

The Geneva Bible has been released with an update using modern English. The MSS are of the same family as the AV1611 and worth looking into. As it stands right now, I own 28 study Bibles, most in leather. If I order another Bible [my wife will kill me] it would be just plain greed.

http://www.tollelegepress.com/gb/geneva.php

Peace,

jm

If it's in modern English, I'm for it, Jase.
I have bagfuls of mostly leather Bibles, myself :oops:

I have around 40 'real' Bibles or parts and around 80 or so 'virtual' ones.

I use the NASB and NRSV for study, the NIV for a less structured look and the LB (among others) for reading pleasure. I use Greek and Hebrew to try and come to grips with the meanings of the writers (with heavy use of Lexicons / dictionaries.) :-D

I would consider myself an eclectic Bible reader.

I'm using the LB for sheer reading pleasure and enjoyment. I just bought a New Century Version Reference Bible, and I've read some chapters in there and kinda like it. I just got a gift in the mail today of a TNIV Study Bible, and I'm even going to take that for a spin, and might even get over my prejudices towards that translation. I love the New Jerusalem Bible Psalms for the use of 'Yahweh.' The NASB77 for word study; the NIV for relaxed reading. I love the HCSB and its exactness, as well as the ESV. I read the old Harper Study Bible in the RSV. I have a knockout Camel/Camel NLT2 Life App Bible which is so informative and enjoyable.
And I may even read a chapter in the KJV and read it all over again in an English translation.

Ranking Title Author/Publisher
1 New International Version various publishers
2 New King James Version various publishers
3 King James Version various publishers
4 New Living Translation Tyndale
5 English Standard Version Crossway
6 Reina Valera 1960 (Spanish) various publishers
7 Holman Christian Standard Bible B&H Publishing Group
8 New American Standard Bible update various publishers
9 The Message Eugene Peterson, NavPress
10 New International Readers Version Zondervan

http://www.cbaonline.org/TrackingLists/trx.jsp?w=t

You'll notice #'s 3 and 6 are KJV!

Cool, I can't read the KJV very well. I get confused with the words quite a bit. I really do like some of the ways that version gets things across though.

I'm reading a chronological (NIV) Bible right now. I really like it. For some reason it really makes sense to me more when I read the prophets saying their thing right with the background history. Or can read David's Psalms right after reading about some problems he's been through.

Back