Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Biblical Election and Predestination

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

JayR

"All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out."

Do you hear that? All that the Father gives to Him will come to Him, and He will IN NO WISE CAST THEM OUT. That not only means that the elect are saved, and saved no matter what, but you also have to ask the question, what about the ones whom the Father didn't give to Him? What happens to them? Why didn't the Father just give everyone to Him, because that would be all that is required for them to be saved. If the Father didn't give them to Christ, then they aren't Christ's in the sense of them being His flock, and they weren't meant to be, because if they were, the Father would have given them to Him, and they would come to Him and been saved.

"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this the Father's will which has sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day... No man can come to me, except the Father which has sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day... And He said, 'Therefore I said to you, that no man can come to me, except it were given to him by my Father."

Once again, what about the ones the Father hasn't given to Him, whose are they? Why doesn't the Father just draw everybody to Jesus and give them to Jesus so that they will be safe within His infinite saving power? Jesus answers that question in John chapter 8:

"[speaking to the Pharisees] You are from beneath; I am from above: you are of this world; I am not of this world."

Hell is their place. It is where they are from, and it is where they are going. They belong there, and they don't belong to Christ, because the Father hasn't given them to Him.

"They answered and said to him, Abraham is our father. Jesus said to them, If you were Abraham's children, you would work the works of Abraham. But now you seek to kill me, a man that has told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham."

He is denying that they are Abraham's children, because Abraham's children are all those who have faith in God and recieve justification by faith. These don't have saving faith, because God hasn't given it to them, because they weren't made for salvation. If they were made for salvation, then the Father would have given them to the Son, they would have come to the Son, and the Son would not have cast them out, but He hasn't so they are damned.

"You do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, "We are not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God." Jesus said to them, If God were your Father, you would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but He sent me."

Why isn't God their Father? Because they weren't made containing the capability of believing in Christ with saving faith. They don't love Christ, and they can't come to Christ, because they weren't given to Christ by the Father.

"You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own; for he is a liar, and the father of it."

They belong to the devil. They do not belong to Christ in the sense that they are His flock, and that is because they weren't given to Christ by the Father. If they were given to Christ, they would come to Christ, and Christ would not cast them out, and they would be saved. All of those who the Father gives to Christ will be saved, because Christ will in no wise cast them out. So why didn't they come to Christ? Because they weren't given to Christ by the Father, and because from the foundations of the world they were ordained for hell because the Father chose to order things that way. He did it for the greater good, for His own glory, and probably for other reasons not contained in His revealed will, and He is perfectly just and righteous in doing so.

"And because I tell you the truth, you believe me not. Which of you convinces me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do you not believe me? He that is of God hears God's words: you therefore hear them not, because you are not of God."

Those sent by the Father, drawn by the Father to the Son hear God's words. They hear the words of truth, and they come to the Son and are saved and so that the Son will in no wise cast them out. Those given to the Son by the Father are the sons of God, because they belong to God, were drawn by the Father to the Son, and they hear the truth, because they are of God. They are the elect and have been prepared by God from all eternity for glory. Those who reject the truth reject it because they aren't of God, they belong to their father the devil, the liar, because they have no truth in them, and they will do anything in their power to repress and restrain the truth, because that's what they do, as children of the devil ordained by God from all eternity for destruction and His glory.

" And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one man, even by our father Isaac (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.†As it is written, “Jacob I have loved (Jacob is part of the elect, prepared from all eternity for glory), but Esau I have hated (Esau is a vessel of destruction prepared from all eternity for damnation).

The saved and the damned have been predestined to their fate by God from before the foundations of the world. It is according to God's election, as we see here. Before Jacob or Esau were born God had already hated one and loved the other, because He knew beforehand what they would do, and He had prepared one as part of His elect, and prepared one as a vessel of destruction.

"What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.†So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.†Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens."

Salvation does NOT depend on human will, decision, or effort. It is purely by the grace of God through faith, which is given by God, and depends solely on the election of God and on whomever God chooses to have mercy, which are His elect. God raised up Pharoah and hardened Pharoah against Him for a purpose, so that His name would be declared in all the earth and to demonstrate His power through Him. God saves His elect, and God hardens the damned for the reasons described in the following Scripture:

"You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?†But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?†Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction (children of the devil who the Father will not give to the Son), and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory (God's elect), even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?"

Many people who hear this doctrine complain that God is unrighteous in doing what He will with His own creation. They ask questions like, "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will? Why have you made me like this?" But God Himself answers them through Paul, "But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?†Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?" Some men were made for salvation and for glory, and others were made for destruction and for hell. God's word declares it, and He is absolutely righteous and just in doing so.

Why, you might ask, has God chosen to prepare some from all eternity as vessels of destruction for hell? God answers once again through Paul, "What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction (children of the devil who the Father will not give to the Son), and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory (God's elect), even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?"

For the same reason He hardened Pharoahs heart against Him- to make His power known and to show His wrath. Also, to make known His longsuffering, and to make known the riches of His glory to His elect, whom He has prepared beforehand for glory (this will be explained in further detail later). God is using the vessels of destruction to make known to His elect the power of His wrath. Not only will the elect see the damned, they will regularly see them and see God's wrath and power poured out onto them in the full measure of justice, fierce anger and omnipotent wrath due them all. This is made clear in Isaiah 66:

“ For as the new heavens and the new earth
Which I will make shall remain before Me,†says the LORD,
“ So shall your descendants and your name remain.
And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,†says the LORD.
“ And they shall go forth and look
Upon the corpses of the men
Who have transgressed against Me.
For their worm does not die,
And their fire is not quenched.
They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.â€Â

When the new heavens and the new earth are established, the people of God will, from one Sabbath to another and from one new moon to another, look upon the corpses of those who transgressed against Him, and they will witness with their own eyes the power of His omnipotent wrath crushing them in immeasurable agony, with perfect justice, which is what they deserved aside from God's awesome grace in Jesus Christ. When they see what they deserved, and look at the amazing graces that our Lord has lavished upon them, they will glorify God with an incredible and intensely greater glory than before, a glory which He deserves because He will make known to them very bluntly what they are without Him and His grace, namely, worms burning in hell, and they will be all the more eternally greatful for His awesome love, grace, and mercy. His unexplainable glory will be made manifest intensely through this demonstration, and their passion and love for their Savior will be eternally multiplied. God will recieve the full measure of glory that He deserves, an eternal glory, and He will see to it by using the damned in hell as a demonstration of His power, as He did with Pharoah in Egypt. The elect are not able to fully comprehend the abject terror of God's horrible wrath and power being poured out onto sinners until they see it with their own eyes, and when they do, the graces that He has given them will be greatly maginified, and they will glorify God with an eternal glory, worshipping His majesty in the perfect worship God deserves.

My interpretation on this issue is....I don't think it is possible for God to create someone specifically for hell... now maybe I'm misunderstanding this doctrine, are you saying that God didn't choose some so they could go to hell but he chose others just at random to be with Him? Do you believe in free will?.... Do you not think He chooses all but some don't answer?....your thoughts

Blessings
mike

I don't think it is possible for God to create someone specifically for hell

A lot of people say that at this doctrine, but the Bible clearly states that He does do this:

God is the potter and we're the clay:

"Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? "

He makes some for salvation and some for damnation.
now maybe I'm misunderstanding this doctrine, are you saying that God didn't choose some so they could go to hell but he chose others just at random to be with Him?

He chose some, His elect, and has been preparing them for glory from all eternity. Don't ask me how He went about choosing, other than the fact that God chooses the vilest of all men to show His power in transforming them into the image of His Son for His glory. And He chose to make some as vessels of destruction, to make known to all of His creatures His wrath and His power. His people will actually see the damned in hell when the new heavens and the new earth come, and will realize that the punishment they are witnessing is exactly what they deserve, and they will glorify God all the more for His graces.

Do you believe in free will?....

No. The Bible doesn't teach free will anywhere. On the contrary, It teaches that men are born in slavery to sin, and upon conversion they become slaves of God. A passage in Ezekiel says that God "Puts His Spirit within us and causes us to keep His statutes and His judgments." Salvation is by grace and grace alone and is a supernatural work of God where by His power and Spirit He sustains His elect and causes them to walk in His statutes and conforms them into the image of Christ. It is all grace. "By grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast." It is all a gift. We can't work righteousness as fallen creatures. We are incapable of doing God's will, but by the power of Christ and His Spirit He is able to cause us to do righteousness.

Do you not think He chooses all but some don't answer?

No because that's not what the Bible teaches. It teaches that the Father gives to the Son all who He he pre-ordained for salvation, and the Son saves them and in no wise cast's them out. The one's the Father hasn't given to the Son He has ordained for destruction.

JayR said:
God is the potter and we're the clay:

"Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? "

Romans 9 (where the potter and the clay pot account is given) is clearly about Israel and the predestination of individuals to salvation or to loss is not anywhere in sight. The context shows that Paul uses the potter account to explain that God has the right to "elect" Israel to play a specific role in redemptive history - she has been hardened, just like Pharoah.

Paul is not talking anywhere in this chapter about issues of individuals being elected to salvation or to loss. I am more than happy to support this assertion of mine if challenged.

JayR said:

I don't see this anywhere in the scriptures

JayR said:
He chose some, His elect, and has been preparing them for glory from all eternity. Don't ask me how He went about choosing,
hmmm

JayR said:
No. The Bible doesn't teach free will anywhere.
To this statement I would just say I respectfully disagree with your interpretation

JayR said:
No because that's not what the Bible teaches. It teaches that the Father gives to the Son all who He he pre-ordained for salvation, and the Son saves them and in no wise cast's them out. The one's the Father hasn't given to the Son He has ordained for destruction.
(scratching my chin) actually I'm quite confused. from what I see from this doctrine it's a little confusing to me...honestly I have a hard time seeing(in the scriptures or in my heart) Jesus making people for the sole purpose to go to hell....

I agree we are saved by grace... but grace is a gift...you have to open gifts

Blessings

Where does it say that He is talking about Isreal? He is using an individual, Pharoah, whom He hardened to manifest His power and His glory, as justification and as an explanation for how God works things regarding salvation and predestination. God hardens whom He will. That what the Word says. He has mercy on whom He has mercy. He hardens the lost, and has the right to make them as vessels of destruction, because He is the potter and we are the clay, and He is going to use the damned whom He forknew would be damned and predestined to be damned as a demonstration to His elect in heaven. He is going to show His people what they are and what they deserve aside from His free saving graces, which is to burn in hell like worms, and His people will glorify Him all the more. He is talking about individuals. That's why He even went as far as to use Jacob and Esau in His explanation, two individuals, to illustrate that He calls, and He damns, according to His own will and purpose. This isn't about Isreal, no not at all.

I don't see this anywhere in the scriptures

Think about it for a moment. This very instant, and always, God has known who would be damned, and who would be saved. The Bible says that God has called His elect and has ordained them for glory. It also says that He has prepared some as vessels of destruction to show His power and His wrath.
To this statement I would just say I respectfully disagree with your interpretation

Show me one verse that explicitly teaches that humans beings were made with a free will, and then I'll show you several that explicitly teach that we don't have a free will.
(scratching my chin) actually I'm quite confused. from what I see from this doctrine it's a little confusing to me...honestly I have a hard time seeing(in the scriptures or in my heart) Jesus making people for the sole purpose to go to hell....

Read Romans 9. Pray about it too. Seek God for truth, He'll give it to you.
I agree we are saved by grace... but grace is a gift...you have to open gifts

Not this gift. How do I know? Because the response to the gift, which Jesus said is, "Repent and believe the Gospel" can't be done aside from the supernatural work of God. Repentance is God given, and so is faith. We can't recieve salvation aside from God, it is pure grace, and has nothing to do with human will, human desicion, or human effort. Grace, grace, grace.

JayR said:
No. The Bible doesn't teach free will anywhere. On the contrary, It teaches that men are born in slavery to sin, and upon conversion they become slaves of God. A passage in Ezekiel says that God "Puts His Spirit within us and causes us to keep His statutes and His judgments." Salvation is by grace and grace alone and is a supernatural work of God where by His power and Spirit He sustains His elect and causes them to walk in His statutes and conforms them into the image of Christ. It is all grace. "By grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast." It is all a gift. We can't work righteousness as fallen creatures. We are incapable of doing God's will, but by the power of Christ and His Spirit He is able to cause us to do righteousness.
I think that "free will" is present throughout the scriptures. Consider a text like this one from Deuteronomy 30:

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him.

I can guess at what your counterargument might be, but I will not make any presumptions to that effect.

I do not think that the "works" in Ephesians 2:8-9 refer to "human self-effort". Instead, Paul is referring to works of Torah, and specifically those that demarcate the Jew from his pagan neighbour. Consider what he goes on to write in verses 10 and following - Paul is clearly concerned with the issue of the Jew-Gentile division (which, of course, is manifested through the ethnic specificity of Torah). He is not dealing with the issue of people try to earn their salvation through "good works":

Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called "uncircumcised" by those who call themselves "the circumcision" (that done in the body by the hands of men) 12remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.
14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit

Paul wants to drive home the point the true family of God contains both Jews and Gentiles - that membership in the family is not limited to those who practice Torah - the Jews. He is simply not even addressing, and therefore not denouncing, the idea that people can play some kind of a role in their own justification. Therefore, this passage does not really support the "traditional" concept of election.

I believe that the case against Romans 9 being about the election of individuals to salvation or to loss is a slam-dunk. One of the many reasons is this: there is scriptural precedent to the use of the potter and his clay pot as a Biblical metaphor. In these precedents, the issue is always Israel, or groupsof Jews within Israel, and Gods' right, just like the potter, to mold her as He pleases. As just one example, we have this from Isaiah, where the prophet writes about the people of the Jewish city of Ariel

The Lord says:
"These people come near to me with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship of me
is made up only of rules taught by men.

14 Therefore once more I will astound these people
with wonder upon wonder;
the wisdom of the wise will perish,
the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

15 Woe to those who go to great depths
to hide their plans from the LORD,
who do their work in darkness and think,
"Who sees us? Who will know?"

16 You turn things upside down,
as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!
Shall what is formed say to him who formed it,
"He did not make me"?
Can the pot say of the potter,
"He knows nothing
"?

Paul knows the old Testament and in Romans 9, he is clearly using the language of verse 16 about the clay pot "talking back" to the potter.

In Romans 9, the clay pot is Israel as it is in Isaiah. Paul has nothing to say in Romans 9 about the issue of people being elected to salvation or to loss.

JayR said:
Where does it say that He is talking about Isreal?
From the very introduction of the chapter, the issue is clearly national Israel:

I speak the truth in Christâ€â€I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit 2I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, 4the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.

Paul continues to focus on Israel, and how God defines her:

For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary.....

He is making a case about national Israel and also about another group - "true Israel". He is simply not dealing with the issue of individual election to heaven and to hell.

We then have the middle bit of Romans, where Paul gives the potter account. After the potter account, it is clear that national Israel and "true Israel" are still in view. Again, the context shows that Paul is making an argument about groups, not individuals:

Isaiah cries out concerning Israel:
"Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea,
only the remnant will be saved.
28For the Lord will carry out
his sentence on earth with speed and finality.

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it.

If Paul is a coherent writer, and I think he clearly is, your position on the potter account has him opening Romans 9 with a focus on Israel, ending Romans 9 with a focus on Israel, and yet sticking something in the middle that has nothing to do with Israel. I do not think Paul is that schizophrenic a writer.

Quote from JayR:
"For the same reason He hardened Pharoahs heart against Him- to make His power known and to show His wrath. Also, to make known His longsuffering, and to make known the riches of His glory to His elect, whom He has prepared beforehand for glory (this will be explained in further detail later). God is using the vessels of destruction to make known to His elect the power of His wrath. Not only will the elect see the damned, they will regularly see them and see God's wrath and power poured out onto them in the full measure of justice, fierce anger and omnipotent wrath due them all. This is made clear in Isaiah 66:"

MY COMMENTS: Hi JayR. I agree, there is no question, that salvation is from the Lord. It is through his grace that the good news is heard and believed.

Concerning the statement above that the elect will see the damned on a regular basis, and you refer to Isaiah 66 as proof: if you mean the "elect" are the righteous Israelites (or proselytes), who view the dead bodies of those trespassing against the Lord, and they see these bodies which have been thrown on Gehenna, the burning pile of waste and offal outside the city of the rebuilt Jesusalem in the Messianic Kingdom, then I would agree with you.

This last verse in Isaiah 66, Jesus alludes to, and ties it definitely to the judgment of Gehenna he warned about in a number of places in Matt., Mark, and Luke: for instance,
Mark 9:43-44: "And if thy hand may cause thee to stumble, cut it off; it is better for thee maimed to enter into the life lame, than having two hands, to go away to the gehenna, to the fire---the unquenchable---where there worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched."
And Mark 9:45-46, and 47-48 are similar.

While, the church/body of Christ will judge the world and angels (1 Cor. 6:2-3), apart from that, our future is in the heavenlies enjoying the spiritual blessings of God as heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ (Eph. 1-3).

My understanding is that those cast into the lake of fire, after being judged for their deeds, will die their second death. There will be no bodies to observe. (Rev. 20:13-15),

JayR said:
He is using an individual, Pharoah, whom He hardened to manifest His power and His glory, as justification and as an explanation for how God works things regarding salvation and predestination.
Really? You think that Pharoah is put forward as an example about how God works regarding salvation and predestination? How is he an example of this? How does the "predestination" of Pharoah to hell tell us something about Gods' power any more than the predestination to hell of anyone else?

I think it is clear that Pharoah is put forward as an example of how God "elects" people (and nations) to play a specific role in redemptive history. Pharoah is "hardened" to resist the plea to let the Jews leave. This then creates a scenario where God can then act in history to deliver the Jews out of Egypt. What does any of this have to do with "where you go when you die"?

It is no coincidence that the Pharoah account immediately precedes the potter account. Paul is arguing that, just like Pharoah, Israel has been hardened, just like the potter hardens his pot.

Romans 11 confirms that Paul is dealing with a hardening of Israel - that God uses national Israel to play a specific role in redemptive history - to allow the ingrafting of the Gentiles:

I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.

I hear you. Yes, Paul is speaking of Isreal and how he desires them to be saved, but He then spends the rest of the chapter justifying God and vindicating Him in His right to do what He pleases with His own "clay", His own creation. He even uses the word "election" when speaking of individuals, whom He even specifies that God hated one, and loved the other. Then He asks, "Is there unrighteousness with God?" In other words, Does it make God evil to do what He wills with His own creation? You have to ask though, Why did Paul ask that question? You know, because salvation is by grace, and God can choose to save whom He pleases. Paul goes on to say, "God forbid [there is no unrighteousness with God]. For he said to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." He had compassion on Jacob, but He surely didn't have compassion on Esau, He hated him. Then Paul goes on to state and to affirm, "So then it [what is "it" here if it's not salvation, or God's election?] is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but God that shows mercy." In other words, you can't will yourself into heaven, or into God's favor, you can't work yourself into God's favor because it has nothing to do with human effort, but God's mercy. Paul goes on to give further information of how God works with His own creation, and explains How God Himself hardened Pharoah, as opposed to showing him mercy, "That He might show His power in him, and that His name might be declared throughout all the earth." In other words, God hardened Pharoah for a purpose, and that purpose was to make His name known and to make His power known. Therefore, Paul concludes, "has He mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will he hardens. You will say then to me, Why does He yet find fault? For who has resisted His will?" Paul is about to explain how God is just and perfectly vindicated in hardening His own creation towards Him to accomplish His purposes, as He did with Pharoah, even if it amounts to their destruction. He says, "Nay but, O man, who are you that reply against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus?" These are questions coming from someone who is accusing God of being unrighteous in hardening them. They claim that is isn't their fault and they don't deserve judgment simply because God made them that way, hardened to Him. Then Paul vindicates God, "Has not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel to honor [what are these vessels of honor if not the elect?], and another to dishonor [what are these vessels of dishonor if not the damned?]? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power know, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction [what do you think these are if not the lost? These "vessels of wrath fitted to destruction"?] And that He might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had before prepared to glory [He is once again talking about election]..." The vessels of wrath are God's chosen vessels for damnation. Paul is vindicating God in His right to be righteous in doing what He wills with His creation. He even gives God's reasons for hardening them and creating them for wrath, "...willing to show his wrath, and to make His power known..." See how He ties the hardening of Pharoah, as He did to make His wrath known, in with hardening these vessels of wrath to make His power known through them as well? Paul is vindicating God in this.

This is very clear and obvious to me. It is purely election and predestination.

JayR said:
I hear you. Yes, Paul is speaking of Isreal and how he desires them to be saved, but He then spends the rest of the chapter justifying God and vindicating Him in His right to do what He pleases with His own "clay", His own creation. He even uses the word "election" when speaking of individuals, whom He even specifies that God hated one, and loved the other. Then He asks, "Is there unrighteousness with God?" In other words, Does it make God evil to do what He wills with His own creation? You have to ask though, Why did Paul ask that question? You know, because salvation is by grace, and God can choose to save whom He pleases.
Yes, but you seem to argue that Paul mysteriously goes on off on a tangent from his main argument - which is clearly about Israel - to address the unrelated matter of whether has elected Fred Jones to salvation and Joe Bloggs to damnation. He is simply not talking about mankind in general - he is talking about Israel. Paul asks the question "Is there unrighteousness with God" in relation, naturally enough with what he is talking about - and that is his treatment of Israel.
Why would you assume that Paul would suddenly change topics without telling us that he is doing so?

Of course, Paul mentions Esau and Jacob, but in context, he refers to these 2 in service of his argument about the distinction between an "Israel" whose membership based only on genetics (in which case, Esau would obviously be included) and an "Isreal" whose membership is based on being a child of "the promise" (as is the case with Jacob). Reference to individuals in Romans 9 does not support your case here. Pharoah is referred to, but not in respect to "where God sends him when he dies". Pharoah is put forward as an example of one who is hardened for a purpose in this life, not the next - resisting the release of the Jews so that God can then deliver them.

Answer the questions I asked you throughout my last post, and then I'll respond to you.

JayR said:
He had compassion on Jacob, but He surely didn't have compassion on Esau, He hated him. Then Paul goes on to state and to affirm, "So then it [what is "it" here if it's not salvation, or God's election?] is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but God that shows mercy."
I will let the context determine what the "it" is - and "it" is certainly not salvation:

16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

Did God harden Pharoah for the purpose of sending him to hell?

Or did God harden Pharoah to resist Moses' efforts, thereby opening the door for the great act of deliverance of the Jews from Egypt?

Let the reader decide.

Did God harden Pharoah for the purpose of sending him to hell?

The context is talking about salvation being determined by God's election, and then this example of Pharoah being hardened is an example of God's hardening. Pharoah went to hell, but God doesn't primarily send people to hell for the sake of sending them to hell, He sends them to hell to make His power known, like the context says, "What if God, willing to show His wrath and make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction..."

Then Paul vindicates God, "Has not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel to honor [what are these vessels of honor if not the elect?], and another to dishonor [what are these vessels of dishonor if not the damned?]
The vessels of honour here are the members of "true" Israel - made up of Jews and Gentiles:

24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25As he says in Hosea:
"I will call them 'my people' who are not my people;
and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one," 26and,
"It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,
'You are not my people,'
they will be called 'sons of the living God

The vessels of dishonor are members of national Israel, which has been hardened to "stumble" / "transgress" as part of God's great plan of redemption. From Romans 11:

Did they (national Israel, by context) stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles...

For if their (again, national Israel) rejection is the reconciliation of the world....

Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.

30Just as you ("true Israel) who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their (national Israel) disobedience

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back