Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Biblical Fiction

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mike

I'm a Christian and an avid reader. My favorite genre is "biblical fiction". I thoroughly enjoy books that take me through a story in the Bible and weave a story. By biblical fiction, of course, I mean books that add dialog or details that aren't specifically expressed in scripture, BUT stay true to it and don't contradict it. It's funny, because I am a man, but I've found two of my favorite authors are Lynn Austin and her "Chronicles of the Kings" series and Francine Rivers' "Mark of the Lion" series.

I've read some people reject such works, saying that if we want to read biblical stories, we should stick to the Bible. As for me, if they stand the litmus test of staying true to the Bible without contradicting it, they are fine. They can add depth to the understanding of the people and the times they lived in.

Other books I've liked:

The Brother's Keeper - Tracy Groot
The Weeping Chamber - Sigmund Brouwer
The Last Disciple - Hank Hanegraff & Sigmund Brouwer

I'm drawing a blank now, but I've read a lot. If you like this genra, I believe you would like these. I'd also like to know if anyone has other suggestions in this genre.

Be blessed.

I like Christian fiction too. Now I don't read it much because I am usually studying other things. But I really like Francine Rivers as well. I've read all her "girly" books and they ARE scriptural and very edifying. I find when I just can't get into my bible, I read a Christian fiction book and it clears my head out and gets me back on track.

faithtransforms, Francine Rivers is amazing! Her other novels are more "chick" oriented. But in her Mark of the Lion series, she is very war-graphic and can appeal to both, IMO.

This series has circulated though our church, and both men and women love it!

mjjcb said:
faithtransforms, Francine Rivers is amazing! Her other novels are more "chick" oriented. But in her Mark of the Lion series, she is very war-graphic and can appeal to both, IMO.

This series has circulated though our church, and both men and women love it!

Yeah, I've been wanting to check into that Mark of the Lion series. It sounds really interesting!

faithtransforms said:
Yeah, I've been wanting to check into that Mark of the Lion series. It sounds really interesting!

FT, I guarantee you WILL LOVE the series. You will wish she wrote 20 in it. In fact, I'm going to nag you until you do when ever we meet on the boards, because I know you'll love it. It all takes place as the church is picking up momentum and Christians are being martyred by the Romans. I'll warn you, the first 40 pages of the first book is about the Romans seizing Jerusalem. And it's pretty graphic. But it settles down into a terrific Christian book.

But you have to read them in order.
1. A Voice in the Wind
2. An Echo in the Darkness
3. As Sure as the Dawn

The main character will be in your thoughts for a long time after.

I'll start now. Go to your library and check out or reserve "A Voice in the Wind". Do it!

mjjcb said:
faithtransforms said:

FT, I guarantee you WILL LOVE the series. You will wish she wrote 20 in it. In fact, I'm going to nag you until you do when ever we meet on the boards, because I know you'll love it. It all takes place as the church is picking up momentum and Christians are being martyred by the Romans. I'll warn you, the first 40 pages of the first book is about the Romans seizing Jerusalem. And it's pretty graphic. But it settles down into a terrific Christian book.

But you have to read them in order.
1. A Voice in the Wind
2. An Echo in the Darkness
3. As Sure as the Dawn

The main character will be in your thoughts for a long time after.

I'll start now. Go to your library and check out or reserve "A Voice in the Wind". Do it!

"Quo Vadis" is a historical novel written by Henryk Sienkiewicz, is impressiable one.

Thanks Esther1! I just put it on hold at the library (don't like to buy books, as much as I read). Sounds like an awesome book!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves Francine River's series "Mark of the Lion"! A Francine Rivers fan, I checked the last book of the series out (As Sure as Dawn) without realizing it was a part of a series and was immedietely immersed in it. Although I only read the third book, it wasn't hard to follow along. I agree that it's interesting for both men and women, and I love that it incorporates a desire within the reader to spread the Gospel. Not many books do that!

Another Francine Rivers book that I found to be convicting/challenging was "As the Shofar Blew". It's not as happy, per se, as other books but it's quite good. It's about a young pastor and his wife and their three year old son and I'd tell ya what happens, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone. You'll have to read it for yourself :)

Back