Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

bike locks

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
So, I was given a bike. Which is great, because I don't yet have a driver's license, and need this alternate form of travel in case I can't get a ride.
This also means I need to invest in a bike lock. What I'm getting so far is that I should get a u-lock for the rear wheel and another lock for the front wheel. At the same time...there doesn't seem to be a lot of places around here (particularly the little district where I'm going to go to look for work) that I could place my bike where a u-lock would fit. So...what then?

Also, what should I expect to pay for a good bike lock, and where should I get one? Right now I have barely any income, so I can't afford much. (I'm working on getting a job, but...I need a bike to get a job and I need a bike lock to make sure I can keep the bike in my ownership, so...yes.)

U-locks are great, and there is a way to secure the front tire to the frame using it, while at the same time securing it to a normal bike rack. However, if you don't have access to a bike rack near where you will be working it really depends on what is available to you. You can always secure the bike to a metal sign post, but you do not want to use a cable. Very easy to cut through. There are other types of locks that are much harder to break.

The M-Wave joint armored lock in the link that Kidron provided would work quite well.

BTW, you don't always have to go to a physical store to get these things. You can always order them online.

So, looking around and thankfully the shopping center where I want to do most of my job hunting has a bike rack. And some rails I can use, too. (Avoiding the ramps, though, since I don't want to park my bike anywhere where it would be in people's way.)
Looks like, aside from that, I can also use some of the streetlights that are in little islands in the parking lot, too, assuming that's okay to do.
And then in front of the grocery store there's a fence, an empty parking lot, and a couple other things.

Someone said they might have a pretty good u-lock they could give me.

Well, I'm going to buy the bike locks after church this evening. Are there any brands of u-locks that are recommended?

One of the bike locks I ordered came in today. It (a u-lock) was larger than I expected, but then I'm not familiar with them so I don't know how large they typically are. I was told to get a mid-duty one, so I ordered this one after looking over some different selections.
The other one should follow in a few days :)

I live in a low-crime area, so I don't think I have too awful much to be concerned about.

Actually you need to run the u-lock through the chain and back tire. Thieves look for the easy pickins and the front tire and wheel are low dollars by comparison to the frame and back wheel. The calipers and chain and frame are the money items...the front wheel ain't much money to replace...

Actually though placing it where people won't mess with the gears etc is the best.

I know a guy who kept getting his seat stolen. :confused

Just be careful where you park it.

Back