Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

black-boys-need-role-models

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

MrVersatile48

Black boys need role models: Report

Press Assoc. - 1 hour 55 minutes ago

Black boys need more role models who do not glamorise crime, guns or drugs, according to a new report.

It will call for the creation of a National Role Model programme to give the youngsters figures from their own community to look up to.

The independent Reach report was commissioned by the Department for Communities and Local Government and its findings are expected to be welcomed by ministers. A copy of the full report will be presented to Communities Secretary Hazel Blears at its launch in Manchester...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20070 ... e80_1.html

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk

& Call for black role models scheme

The panel has called for a national role model programme

Black boys need positive role models from within their own communities to tackle underachievement, a report says.

The Reach panel of experts, from fields including education and business, says too often role models for young black men include rappers who glamorise guns.

The report says the problem could cost the UK £24bn over the next 50 years, in terms of lost taxes, criminal justice and healthcare costs...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6938012.stm

& Liberate My People

Theologian and educator Ruth Padilla DeBorst says true Christian mission addresses issues of power and poverty.
http://www.ctlibrary.com/48588

CHRISTIAN VISION PROJECT Liberate My People Theologian and educator Ruth Padilla DeBorst says true Christian mission addresses issues of power and poverty. Interview by Andy Crouch August 8, 2007 One sign of the maturity of Latin American evangelicalism is Ruth Padilla DeBorst's familiar ...

=====================================================================================

I praise God for the 'mini United Nations' that is Liverpool's City Church, Jubilee Drive, opposite Kensington Park - just @ 400 yards from the massive Royal Liverpool Hospital

My housegroup alone has 6 African nations, an Indian, a Spaniard & a Filipino couple - & there's only @ 15 of us altogether - I can't wait till we raid Eastham Park, Wirral on a 'bring a pack lunch' picnic & day out, Sat 18 August

Our pastor will be away for 3 weeks in Zimbabwe then, but Keith Kerry, an anointed evangelist, who'll be looking after the church then, is bound to turn our football & baseball party there into something very special!

As you cross the lights from the top of Prescot St into Kensington, L6, by the way, a big sign proclaims, "New Kensington: new thinking!"

What a gift to an evangelist!

Many a time, en route to church, in the splendid acoustics of the uphill climb from London Road & the open air market area, I've called out, "Catch a glimpse of Heaven, 10.309am0 & 7(pm), City Church, Jubilee Drive, opposite Kensington Park - bus 10, stand 4 Queens Square gets ya there!

"I'm walking - race ya there!"

Done that all over the city centre pedestrian area whenever there's something special on - which is frequently!

Speaking of which...

"There's something exciting going on>>

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29544&p=344619#p344619

God bless!

Ian

Not to say this isn't a great thing going on, but I wonder why do people categorize and stereo-type based on disadvantage because of race? I know of plenty enough other boys and girls who are of other races that are urgently in need the same "positive" role models.

ALL boys and girls need positive role models from within their own communities, no matter where they live or what ethnicity they come from.

Everyone needs a positive role model in their life, period.

While I agree that this shouldn't be only for young afro-american boys, I don't have a problem with this certain idea. Just take a gander at the statistics. Young black men are more likely to commit gun violence, end up in jail, etc. than your run of the mill kid raised by a single parent. Many reasons behind these facts, but they are statistics.....and it is obvious that young men without an older male role model are apt to be angry or left behind.

Relic said:

Not to say this isn't a great thing going on, but I wonder why do people categorize and stereo-type based on disadvantage because of race? I know of plenty enough other boys and girls who are of other races that are urgently in need the same "positive" role models.

ALL boys and girls need positive role models from within their own communities, no matter where they live or what ethnicity they come from.

Everyone needs a positive role model in their life, period.

Hi Relic!

Well said! 8-)

You too, Sic Elm :wink:

Ian :-D

Well I am a person of color' but first I don't like to use the term race' they did not even start to use that word until the 1930's. And we all come from Adam and Eve' and Noah' Shem' Ham' and Japheth. So we are all brothers and sisters. All people need role models in their lives. And mostly all humans will do bad things without role models. The Bible said that these last days will be like this. And the news media seems to focus on the inner cities' where a lot of people of color are. And even though Caucasian males do more crime in the USA because it is much more of them here. People of color make up about 68 to 72 percent of the people in jail. And that is because the focus is always on them. Now when anyone does a crime they should pay for it. But being a person of color' I have seen a lot of unfair treatment in my life. I have also experienced it. But the Bible says where there is no vision' my people perish. So if people can get out of bad areas and do better with their lives' by all means do so. No matter what your skin tone is. Keep the vision.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back