Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Body and the Blood

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
francisdesales said:
Mysteryman said:
Paul told us that everything written aforetime is for our learning, not our doing !

You accuse me of "adding to Scriptures", but what did you just do to Romans 15???

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4

Notice how you DRASTICALLY change the sense of the passage??? What is written is to provide hope! Not your notion that the Bible is just a study book that we don't have to heed...

Paul never says that "everything written is for our learning, not our doing".

We are to continue to obey the Commandments and honor God.

PAUL HIMSELF was WRITING, so is HE commanding that he is just presenting wonderful theoretical knowledge that no one is actually suppposed to do???

This is why conversation with you is so difficult. You just make up stuff as you go because you don't want to admit you are wrong. When backed into a corner, you just stop posting and run away elsewhere to stir up trouble. You have no problems with inventing and adding to Scriptures. :bigfrown

No doubt, you'll again tell me that the Scriptures we have forgot to add that passage that you came up with... This sort of madness must be brought up for others to see, not that I have any notion that any of this will actually take form in your mind as a possible idea of consideration...

As you said, you are not going to change. Thus, my point is just to refute your silly position and allow others to see through your charade...

Hi Joe :

Actually , I didn't change anything. However , what you must realize, is that you again are adding to what the scripture actually does tell us.

When Paul refered to-- whatsoever was written aforetime, does mean everything that Paul was refering too.

We do not "do" the ten commandments, nor do we do anything that the Jews were asked to do under the law. So my statement still holds true !

They were under the law of bondage, but we are under the law of liberty. WE do the two commandments , which abideth all the law and the prophets.

And as you can see, I didn't go silent and not respond to your comments. So I didn't run away, which reveals you as a false accuser. Now, does this mean that you will deny your false comments ? Or, an apology from you for making false comments ?

Hi Joe

This is totally untrue, and I point this out because of the truth. The Lord's supper was a fulfilling of the passover meal, which was a part of the law. Nowhere in chapter 10 of first Corinthians does Paul mention the Lord's supper. This is pure speculation and an assumption on your part. Mostly because of the back ground of your history.

The church was in no way commanded to do this in remembrance of him ! In fact, I Corinth. 11:20 could not be any more clear -- "When you come together into one place, this is not to eat (do) the Lord's supper"
The Lord's Supper was NOT a Passover meal. Passover meals had/have a very strict observance. Jesus did not observe His last meal in accordance to the Law. Are you suggesting He broke law or maybe, just maybe, this last supper had more to do with a fulfillment of some Messianic prophecy? I choose the latter.

The church was in no way commanded to do this in remembrance of him ! In fact, I Corinth. 11:20 could not be any more clear -- "When you come together into one place, this is not to eat (do) the Lord's supper"
Wow!

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:...

...1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Hi Vic

Yes, I know I am correct, but your explanation is incorrect. Paul made no such comment as you have stated above and I quote - " Paul was telling them that the meeting they were having in which they consumed large meals and wine, was not the Lord's Supper.
I have discussed this many times here and know what I know, so I didn't bother to check Clarke and others to read their commentaries. But I just checked Clarke:

Verse 20. This is not to eat the Lord's Supper.
They did not come together to eat the Lord's Supper exclusively, which they should have done, and not have made it a part of an ordinary meal.
He says just as I was saying; the Lord's Supper is an exclusive event and not to be combined with a gathering meant to be an ordinary meal.

Otherwise, why would Paul suggest they stay home to eat? Connect the dots, man, connect the dots...

They were abusing the Lord's supper by pigging out and drinking 'till some were drunk and others did not get their fair share of food. Some fellowship! Takes the "commune" right out of communion! :screwloose

Vic C. said:
Hi Joe

This is totally untrue, and I point this out because of the truth. The Lord's supper was a fulfilling of the passover meal, which was a part of the law. Nowhere in chapter 10 of first Corinthians does Paul mention the Lord's supper. This is pure speculation and an assumption on your part. Mostly because of the back ground of your history.

The Lord's Supper was NOT a Passover meal. Passover meals had/have a very strict observance. Jesus did not observe His last meal in accordance to the Law. Are you suggesting He broke law or maybe, just maybe, this last supper had more to do with a fulfillment of some Messianic prophecy? I choose the latter.

[quote:2sxsjh8l]The church was in no way commanded to do this in remembrance of him ! In fact, I Corinth. 11:20 could not be any more clear -- "When you come together into one place, this is not to eat (do) the Lord's supper"
Wow!

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:...

...1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Hi Vic

Yes, I know I am correct, but your explanation is incorrect. Paul made no such comment as you have stated above and I quote - " Paul was telling them that the meeting they were having in which they consumed large meals and wine, was not the Lord's Supper.
I have discussed this many times here and know what I know, so I didn't bother to check Clarke and others to read their commentaries. But I just checked Clarke:

Verse 20. This is not to eat the Lord's Supper.
They did not come together to eat the Lord's Supper exclusively, which they should have done, and not have made it a part of an ordinary meal.
He says just as I was saying; the Lord's Supper is an exclusive event and not to be combined with a gathering meant to be an ordinary meal.

Otherwise, why would Paul suggest they stay home to eat? Connect the dots, man, connect the dots...

They were abusing the Lord's supper by pigging out and drinking 'till some were drunk and others did not get their fair share of food. Some fellowship! Takes the "commune" right out of communion! :screwloose[/quote:2sxsjh8l]

Hi Vic

I noticed that you mentioned verse 25 of first Corinthains.

Lets look at this corrupted verse of scripture for a moment.

I Corinth. 11:25 at the end of this verse it states - "as oft as ye drink , in remembrance of me"

Jesus said those words after he brake the bread - Luke 22:19, but not after the passover meal (the Lord's supper), when he took the cup - Luke 22:20. Jesus never said after the cup , do this in remembrance of me, nor the words - "as oft as ye drink" and the words "in remembrance of me" < These are added words .

Next lets look at the words of Paul in I Corinth. 11:23 , where Paul states that he received of the Lord. Paul was not there during the Lord's Supper (the passover meal). So the Lord revealed to Paul what occured during the Last Supper, and the words spoken during the Lord's Supper.

Next we need to read I Corinth. 11:26 which states, that "as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come". Paul was explaining to them , that eating literally and drinking literally the Lord's Supper, that they were showing the Lord's death. So this was reproof by Paul, that they were not showing the Lord's resurrection, but his death.

Paul had already made it clear in verse 20, that when you come together into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. < This can not be any more clear.

So what we have here within chapter 11 of first Corinth. is doctrine, reproof and correction, which is instruction in righteousness.

They were not caring for the Church. This is why Paul's comments in verse 29 is of the utmost importance, because here Paul is making it clear . That if they spiritually were eating and drinking unworthily (not caring for the church ) then they were eating and drinking damnation to themselves, not discerning the Lord's body < Which is dealing with the body of Christ.

Paul was not against them coming together to eat or drink, as we notice in verse 33, but its relevant that they care for the one another. What they were doing was a full blown passover meal. And yes, they were gluttonous, but remember these were gentiles. They are were given a heresy, as Paul mentioned in Verse 19. The heresy which causes division, was that they should eat the Lord's Supper, of which Paul never gave any command that they do so.

Quote Vic : "The Lord's Supper was NOT a Passover meal."

------------------------

Hi Vic :

Here is where we would disagree with one another. Luke chapter 22 and in verses 7 thru 14 shows us that this was indeed the Passover meal.

Mysteryman said:
francisdesales said:
You accuse me of "adding to Scriptures", but what did you just do to Romans 15???

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4

Notice how you DRASTICALLY change the sense of the passage??? What is written is to provide hope! Not your notion that the Bible is just a study book that we don't have to heed...

PAUL HIMSELF was WRITING, so is HE commanding that he is just presenting wonderful theoretical knowledge that no one is actually suppposed to do???

This is why conversation with you is so difficult. You just make up stuff as you go because you don't want to admit you are wrong. When backed into a corner, you just stop posting and run away elsewhere to stir up trouble. You have no problems with inventing and adding to Scriptures. :bigfrown

No doubt, you'll again tell me that the Scriptures we have forgot to add that passage that you came up with... This sort of madness must be brought up for others to see, not that I have any notion that any of this will actually take form in your mind as a possible idea of consideration...

As you said, you are not going to change. Thus, my point is just to refute your silly position and allow others to see through your charade...

Hi Joe :

Actually , I didn't change anything. However , what you must realize, is that you again are adding to what the scripture actually does tell us.

WOW! :screwloose

Does the term "liar" mean anything to you??? Clearly, you did change the citation of Paul from Romans to suit your needs. Not just the words, but the entire sense of what is there! It speaks about hope, not about "we don't have to do anything anymore". No squirming will suffice.

Again, by your fruit, you are known. There is nothing about 'not our doing' in the citation. Plainly, you add it there, and nothing you can say now will change that.

As such, further conversation is useless with you.

When will I learn?

Good going... :shame

Vic C. said:
They were abusing the Lord's supper by pigging out and drinking 'till some were drunk and others did not get their fair share of food. Some fellowship! Takes the "commune" right out of communion! :screwloose

Agree. To include the smilie...

francisdesales said:
Mysteryman said:
francisdesales said:

Hi Joe :

WOW! :screwloose

Does the term "liar" mean anything to you??? Clearly, you did change the citation of Paul from Romans to suit your needs. Not just the words, but the entire sense of what is there! It speaks about hope, not about "we don't have to do anything anymore". No squirming will suffice.

Again, by your fruit, you are known. There is nothing about 'not our doing' in the citation. Plainly, you add it there, and nothing you can say now will change that.

As such, further conversation is useless with you.

When will I learn?

Good going... :shame

Hi Joe:

Yes, I know what the word Liar means. But I see no point in you trying to relate that which I said as a lie !

Maybe we need to play pin the tail on the donkey, and find the true donkey to pin the liar's tail upon.

The church is not asked to "do" a literal circumcison. Yet, we are circumcised , made without hands. Its spiritual ! We do not "do" anything ! We do not go about literally circumcising anyone physically.

The church is not asked to do a literal passover meal. Jesus Christ already fulfilled that part of the law by sitting down with his disciples and eating a passover meal. It is called the Lord's Supper.

Romans 15:4 specifically states, that whatsoever is written aforetime is for our -- "Learning" < This means that it is educational. Learning does not indicate an action upon our part to achieve or produce something as a part of the learning process.

We do not have to circumcise anyone in order to understand what circumcision was all about. Nor do we need to profess an understanding of the passover meal, by having and participating in a passover meal, so that we can understand. This is simply not necessary !

Spirituality is not about doing the OT law ! Walking in the Spirit is a walking in the awareness of the understanding. I know what the broken bread represented, and I know what the empty cup represented. Now, we are made to drink into the Spirit, not drink spirits (wine).

This is why in I Corinth. 11:27 and 28 and 29 the words -- eat -----drink ---- are not literal, they are used here figuratively. In verse 29 it states, "not discerning the Lord's body" < This is talking about the body of Christ, not some piece of bread that you put into your mouth ! This is dealing with spirituality ! Not something you can taste, feel and eat literally. The Lord's body are the many members. We are to discern the Lord's body, which means to care for them , both in spiritual things and carnal things.

If you would read the full context of chapter 15 of Romans, you will notice that this is where Paul mentions whatsoever is written aforetime in verse 4. But by reading the full context, we find out how Paul expresses the understanding here. The comfort of the scriptures that we might have hope. How does Paul express outwardly these words ? Simple : Just read the context !

1. Be likeminded one toward another, according to Christ Jesus ( The Revealed Mystery)

2.Be of one mind and one mouth glorify God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

3. Receive ye one another , as Christ also received us to the glory of God

4. Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God , to confirm the promises made

5. That the gentiles might glorify God for his mercy as it is written. For this cause I will confesss to thee among the gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

Paul goes on by his example here in Romans chapter 15, that which he spoke about in I Corinth. chapters 10 and 11 and 12. Paul says specifically in verses 26 and 27 to care for the church, but in verse 27 Paul makes this comment - "For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things "

What spiritual things is Paul speaking of ?

Well, circumcison is one . But Paul has explained, that we are circumcised, made with the circumcision made without hands.

Gentiles had nothing to do with the Law of Moses, and God , nor did Paul ever put them under any bondage of the law. Paul wanted them to "learn" the ways that were under the Law. But he never wanted them to do any part of the law. ( Read the book of Galatians ! )

Sacrifices for sins was another one. But again Paul would never put the Gentiles back under the law of bondage. Paul explained to the Gentiles , that Jesus Christ was our passover lamb, the sacrificial lamb for our sins. So Gentiles no longer have to do as the Jews did. They walk by faith, not by a literal sacrifice for sins. There are no physical actions required of the Gentiles ! They were to walk by faith, not by some man made ceremony, drumed up from some orthodox group from the second or thrid century. Which became a tradition of men, and this tradition continues on today in the 21st century.

All you are suggesting Joe, is that you want to keep your man made traditions alive, and thriving.

IN Christ - MM

Mysteryman said:
Yes, I know what the word Liar means. But I see no point in you trying to relate that which I said as a lie !

Maybe we need to play pin the tail on the donkey, and find the true donkey to pin the liar's tail upon.

Anyone reading this thread, but you, should be able to figure out that you changed the meaning of Scriptures by adding your innovation. Is it just me?

Everyone out there, if anyone disagrees with that, please say so... :shrug

Simply put, Paul says nothing about "not doing" what is written. He says what is written is given to us for hope, not that we no longer have to do it. Your addition is just foolishness and anti-Christian.

People, RUN from such as these! Next, they'll be telling you to drink some Kool Aid...

I don't see any point in reading your posts beyond the first sentence, the fact remains, you have no problem with changing Scriptures, but then, you live in denial and lie about it when it is cited here in black and white? By your lies, you are known, thus, I have no intentions of even reading the rest of your post, no doubt, it is full of more baloney. :mad

francisdesales said:

Christianity became democracy now? You seem to have the need to get everyone else to get your side.

francisdesales said:
Mysteryman said:

Anyone reading this thread, but you, should be able to figure out that you changed the meaning of Scriptures by adding your innovation. Is it just me?

Simply put, Paul says nothing about "not doing" what is written. He says what is written is given to us for hope, not that we no longer have to do it. Your addition is just foolishness and anti-Christian.

People, RUN from such as these! Next, they'll be telling you to drink some Kool Aid...

I don't see any point in reading your posts beyond the first sentence, the fact remains, you have no problem with changing Scriptures, but then, you live in denial and lie about it when it is cited here in black and white? By your lies, you are known, thus, I have no intentions of even reading the rest of your post, no doubt, it is full of more baloney. :mad

Hi Joe:

When Paul said in I Corinth. 11:20 - "this is not to eat the Lord's supper" < This means - "Do Not Do It" !

I will say this one last time. I didn't change anything ! We know what Romans 15:4 states. There is nothing there that says "do something" !

Maybe if you would read my entire post, you might just learn something. Instead of your false accusations about me, why not just discuss the matter instead of falsely accusing the brethren ?

Also remember Joe, that others do read these boards. Someone might agree with you, but I would think that most would disagree with you. Romans 15:4 does not mention anything about "doing something" ! Which your implied comments suggest !

IN Christ - MM

Mysteryman said:
I will say this one last time. I didn't change anything ! We know what Romans 15:4 states. There is nothing there that says "do something" !

I don't lightly make such accusations as "liar". It has nothing to do with my disagreement with you, you know that is not true.

Let's look at what happened, so everyone can see. After reading this, and if they disagree with my accusations (nothing to do with the argument), then please speak up and I will retract.

Mysteryman wrote on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44 am

Paul told us that everything written aforetime is for our learning, not our doing ! So yes, we should learn from the OT, but we should not do as Israel was commanded of God under the law. The gentiles were not to "do" as the Jews did.

francisdesales, amazed at such audacity to change the Word of God, responded on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 am

Incredibly, without batting an eye, Mysteryman denies the whole thing at Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 am

When Paul refered to-- whatsoever was written aforetime, does mean everything that Paul was refering too.

I underline the amazing lie. You didn't change anything. YOU DID! Not only changed the words, but the ENTIRE MEANING!

Lies must be pointed out. This has nothing to do with whether I agree with you or not. I disagree with many people here on occasion, but I have not had the opportunity to call them a liar. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me and we leave it at that. But this?

Sir, you are a liar, and it has nothing to do with whether I disagree with you or not on the Eucharist. Clearly, you have no respect for the Word of God, feeling free to change it at your whim, and then deny it, which is quite idiotic, since your printed words are right here...

Read the rest of your post to "learn something"??? False accusations??? Whatever. I posted the pertinent information, and it is quite easy to see who is lying. Once someone is found to be a liar on such forums, there's no point in reading anything else they have to say.

Frankly, this is not the first time, either. But I have had enough of it and am calling you out.

shad said:
francisdesales said:

Christianity became democracy now? You seem to have the need to get everyone else to get your side.

Shad,

I am asking people to judge whether my accusation that Mysteryman is a liar or not based on what he wrote and my response and his denial that he did any such thing. NOT whether they agree with me on the eucharist... Read my post more carefully...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back