Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study BOOK OF JOB central theme

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

cftx1

My life group is currently studying the book of JOB. What would you say is it's central theme? comments

My life group is currently studying the book of JOB. What would you say is it's central theme? comments
Job is tested proving his faith just as all of God’s elect are. Did God have to see if He was correct in calling Job a perfect and upright man? Of course not, but Job needed to know it.

Job belonged to God. Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

1 Pet 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Our Father only sees Christ in us when He looks on us, but to become victorious over the world in our walk with Him we need to learn just who we are in Christ.

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

It is God working in our lives to will and to do of His good pleasure Php 2:13, and with that in mind we read in Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

To have a personal relationship with the Lord Himself. That it is only by His mighty works of mercy and grace that we are saved. That all the obeying and sacrificing works that we do, even though they are righteous acts and the Lord approves of them, they are not what saves us.
"When you can do all these things, then I will admit to you, that your own right hand can save you"
"I knew of You but now I know You" [paraphrased from the Book of Job]

I think Job shows that we're the clay and He's the potter. Also, I think its helped me (this is personal) through trials, because just because terrible things happen to you doesn't mean that you necessarily deserve them or that God's punishing you.

Other than that...I always got the impression that God wants us to realize that He is sovereign, we're not really entitled to anything, and that He knows what He's doing.

The central theme is that Job learns how to trust God within the sufferings and trials he endured. Faith and trust is a great lesson for all of us to learn.

The central theme is that Job learns how to trust God within the sufferings and trials he endured. Faith and trust is a great lesson for all of us to learn.

I first let me say that I agree with your post.
To add interest to the thread.....What did Job repent of ?

1. "For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me, And what I dreaded has happened to me." Job 3:25 NKJV

Fear is actually tainted or contaminated faith. While faith is a practical demonstration of confidence in God and His Word, fear is a practical demonstration of confidence in Satan and his word. Fear is most certainly not operating in faith. Fear is bondage and a stronghold from the enemy. James 3:15 NKJV

Job was tested because of fear.

2. "But if he is found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give up all the goods of his house." Proverbs 6:31 NKJV

God sets up Satan (pride) by hiding wisdom from him. God takes all of Satan's goods of his house.

Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. John 8:36 NKJV

When you are free from bondage the thief is caught.

Last edited:
1. "For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me, And what I dreaded has happened to me." Job 3:25 NKJV

Fear is actually tainted or contaminated faith. While faith is a practical demonstration of confidence in God and His Word, fear is a practical demonstration of confidence in Satan and his word. Fear is most certainly not operating in faith. Fear is bondage and a stronghold from the enemy.

Job was tested because of fear.

2. "But if he is found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give up all the goods of his house." Proverbs 6:31 NKJV

God sets up Satan (pride) by hiding wisdom from him. God takes all of Satan's goods of his house.

Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. John 8:36 NKJV

When you are free from bondage the thief is caught.

(also replying to Deborah)
Wasn't it "pride"?

But also I would like to add scripture that I thought of when reading ILove's post.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

For Job's steadfastness, God rewarded Him. And blessed him even more for overcoming through his trial and tribulation.
Praise God!

(also replying to Deborah)
Wasn't it "pride"?

But also I would like to add scripture that I thought of when reading ILove's post.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

For Job's steadfastness, God rewarded Him. And blessed him even more for overcoming through his trial and tribulation.
Praise God!

I think that Deborah meant me ?
Anyway, I think there were many good points made, including your's of pride.
for_his_glory said, what I believe was the root of his problem, he didn't have faith and trust in God, I would add God' grace and mercy (basically his salvation).
As I Love said, he feared. Because he didn't trust, he feared. We see that one thing he was fearful of was that his children were sinning. We don't hear that he prayed and ask God for His help. Instead...
He relied on his doings (his own works) as he offered up sacrifices for them.
Was he prideful, well what is pride but relying on ourselves instead of God.

I'll just add that the Book of Job is considered by many scholars to be the most difficult book in the Bible to understand.

Last edited:
Pride cometh before a fall...........something to think about. Job had much and was proud of what he had until it was all taken from him. It could have been that pride, even though he was a man of God, that became his downfall. If we hold anything we have and put that above God then it becomes our own god. God was teaching Job to put God first above all that we have. Hard lesson learned indeed, but look at the end results.

I think that he believed that what he had been blessed with was because he had earned it by his own obedience. Which was not entirely false. God said the Job was upright in all his ways (not perfect, or without sin) and God did bless him.

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. Job 1:1 KJV

Job had no sin! Also no pride issues! His friends accused him with this and God became agree with them!

JOB was a good man BUT still had original sin and was in need of savior just as we are. What happened to those upright people who died before Jesus' sacrifice is another interesting topic for another thread.

What do you guys think about the conversation between God and Satan at the beginning of the book?

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. Job 1:1 KJV

Job had no sin! Also no pride issues! His friends accused him with this and God became agree with them!

Ezekiel 14:14
The Message (MSG)
12-14 God’s Message came to me: “Son of man, when a country sins against me by living faithlessly and I reach out and destroy its food supply by bringing on a famine, wiping out humans and animals alike, even if Noah, Daniel, and Job—the Big Three—were alive at the time, it wouldn’t do the population any good. Their righteousness would only save their own lives.” Decree of God, the Master.

Ezekiel 14:20
The Message (MSG)
19-20 “Or, if I visit a deadly disease on that country, pouring out my lethal anger, killing both people and animals, and Noah, Daniel, and Job happened to be alive at the time, as sure as I am the living God, not a son, not a daughter, would be rescued. Only these three would be delivered because of their righteousness.

Job 1:22
The Message (MSG)
22 Not once through all this did Job sin; not once did he blame God.

Ezekiel 14:14
The Message (MSG)
12-14 God’s Message came to me: “Son of man, when a country sins against me by living faithlessly and I reach out and destroy its food supply by bringing on a famine, wiping out humans and animals alike, even if Noah, Daniel, and Job—the Big Three—were alive at the time, it wouldn’t do the population any good. Their righteousness would only save their own lives.” Decree of God, the Master.

Ezekiel 14:20
The Message (MSG)
19-20 “Or, if I visit a deadly disease on that country, pouring out my lethal anger, killing both people and animals, and Noah, Daniel, and Job happened to be alive at the time, as sure as I am the living God, not a son, not a daughter, would be rescued. Only these three would be delivered because of their righteousness.

Job 1:22
The Message (MSG)
22 Not once through all this did Job sin; not once did he blame God.

Job repented.
KJV
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

The Message
42:5-6 I admit I once lived by rumors of you;
now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears!
I’m sorry—forgive me. I’ll never do that again, I promise!

Another member pointed out one time, that Job didn't have personal relationship with God. I think he was right.

Back