Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Book suggestions

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
B

baylok

I am looking for books for "new" Christians.

Having been raised a Catholic, (if you have read any of my other posts, they all start this way, but I feel the need for a bit of background) I recently discovered that I was not living a Christian life, and am taking steps to correct that.

I am looking for books which will:

1. guide me in the changes I need to make to my life, and which will help open my heart to Jesus,

2. help me to figure out how I fit into the Lord's plan, and to discover my talent(s) which will help me do His work, and

3. Bible study guides directed at "first-time" readers.

I travel a great deal for work, and time spent in airports and on planes is usually spent reading. I had heard about a book by Rick Warren The Purpose Driven Life and was wondering whether that was a good place to start.

Wow, I could not have picked a better day to join this board. I too am a new Christian (about 4 months) and was also raised Catholic.

Before I even read to the bottom of your post my first thought was "A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I've read it and love it. It's a 40 day study into God's purpose for us. It is amazingly thought provoking and very well written.

Another suggestion I would make is to take the Alpha course. I know there is going to be a world wide promotion of this course in September and I think you will be inindated with Churches that are offering it. I believe that the books offered to suppliment the course are available on their own. Niki Gumble has an amazing way of introducing new and reintroducing current Christians to the Christian faith.

One more idea. Get yourself a Bible if you don't already have one.This is the best source we have for the Truth of God's teachings. It's amazing the understanding that comes from our personal relationship with God. I have two. The NIV Student Bible and my favourite that I just bought Life Applications Study Bible (New Living Translation). In Canada they are currently on SALE at every Christian bookstore. I got mine for $32 reg $58.

I would love to discuss with you more ideas surrounding becoming a Christian after a Catholic start. :biggrin Like finding a Church that can support your beliefs. I believe there can be Christians that go to the Catholic Church but you need to be strong in your faith to weed out that ideas that clash with the Truth that God teaches us. I hope I didnt' offend anyone with that last comment :sad

In Christ, Jill

mom~2boys said:
Before I even read to the bottom of your post my first thought was "A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I've read it and love it. It's a 40 day study into God's purpose for us. It is amazingly thought provoking and very well written.

I had heard about it on a Christian talk show, and read reviews on Amazon. Most people loved it, while a few said thing like "it was an attempt to mass market belief", and "great for a Western lifestyle, but it would not work in a third-world country".

mom~2boys said:
Another suggestion I would make is to take the Alpha course.
I'll look into this...

mom~2boys said:
One more idea. Get yourself a Bible if you don't already have one.
Got one, and there was a lot of dust on it :wink: . Any suggestions for a study guide? I am looking for a church in my area which offers bible study, but have not found one yet

mom~2boys said:
I would love to discuss with you more ideas surrounding becoming a Christian after a Catholic start.
Ditto...

I was looking at Max Lucado's website one day and I noticed that he had a lot of study guides to choose from. I haven't used one yet but I am thinking about since around here Bible studies end in May and start up again in September.

Alot of the newer Bibles have lots of extra information in them. Like introductions to each of the books in the Bible, extra thoughts on the verses you are reading and guides for 3 month, 1 year and 3 year readings of the Bible.

My NIV student bible has the suggested reading plans and intro to each book. There is some extra information but not as much as in my Life Applications Bible....Almost every verse is highlighted with extra info. It might be worth looking into a study bible. I find both of my Bibles are very easy to read and understand.

As for the Catholic thing...my mom is offended that I am not going to her church. My dad wasn't religious at all when I was growing up so he could care less. He only came to church at Christmas and Easter so we were there as a family. My mom only recently started going back to Church because she felt guilty that I was going....nice huh?

The main difficulties I have with the Catholic Church are
1. They pray to Mary ~ that's Idolitry (sp?) she's no more capable of healing someone or answering prayers than you or I :wink:

2. They don't teach about having a personal relationship with God

3. They teach that baptism and confirmation are your ways to Heaven along with being a "good" person

4. Confession ~ A priest is not capable of forgiving sins. Only God can do that. When Jesus died on the cross he took away everyones sins and as long as we are "reborn" of the spirit we are granted Salvation ~ It amazes me that they miss that IMPORTANT fact when reading the Bible :biggrin
5. It is so based on ritual ~ ie at Good Friday going through the Stations of the Cross....yes it tells us what happened but in essence they are missing the point of Good Friday completely. I went to Good Friday and Easter at my new church and it was AMAZING.

So that's my humble opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree. I'd love to know what you think. Jill :angel:

ps. how are you able to break my posts down into smaller quotes?

mom~2boys said:
My dad wasn't religious at all when I was growing up so he could care less. He only came to church at Christmas and Easter so we were there as a family.
My dad was the same way. Except the one time my mom was in the hospital, he went for a couple of months after that

mom~2boys said:
2. They don't teach about having a personal relationship with God

3. They teach that baptism and confirmation are your ways to Heaven along with being a "good" person
So true. My girlfriend and I (both newbies) were talking about our religious upbringing, and when we talked about salvation, I mentioned the "golden rule" and being a "good person". She sighed, jokingly said "What have they been teaching you", opened the Bible to John 3:16 and said "this is the key, honey".

mom~2boys said:
4. Confession ~ A priest is not capable of forgiving sins. Only God can do that.
I know this now, but it feels "strange" not telling someone :wink: Old habits and all...

The church that I had gone to as a child was a beautiful building. This year is its 100th anniversary, and "they don't make 'em like that anymore". But a pretty building is not the answer. As I got older, the priest's sermons became very dry. He seemed to lecture about problems in the neighborhood, that the parish needed money, and did not take the readings and the gospel and break them down and extract meaning that could then be used. This particular priest has been in the church for over 30 years, and when he took leave for health reasons, a priest came in and during his homily, he would tell stories. The thing that impressed me is that the story started out with an average person, and 10 to 15 minutes later, that person had experienced something from the readings, and illustrated how the readings could be applied. The whole time, I did not feel like I was being talked down to, and felt enlightened after it was over. Then the original priest got better, the substitute was shipped away, and my interest waned.

mom~2boys said:
ps. how are you able to break my posts down into smaller quotes?
I cheated - press the quote button, and "tags" are added at the start and end of the post. I then cut-and-paste them around the things I want to quote, and delete the rest. Then I add my three cents in between.

And thanks for the links - I will check them out soon.

For books on Gods Plan for me....i suggest Brother Kenneth Hagins book
God's Plan for you. and
Rick Warrens Book....Prupose driven life...and excellent book
hope you like them...
In His Service
Cork
feel free to email me at Preacherhc@hotmail.com

baylok747 said:

Having been raised a Catholic, (if you have read any of my other posts, they all start this way, but I feel the need for a bit of background) I recently discovered that I was not living a Christian life, and am taking steps to correct that.

I am looking for books which will:

1. guide me in the changes I need to make to my life, and which will help open my heart to Jesus,

2. help me to figure out how I fit into the Lord's plan, and to discover my talent(s) which will help me do His work, and

3. Bible study guides directed at "first-time" readers.

I travel a great deal for work, and time spent in airports and on planes is usually spent reading. I had heard about a book by Rick Warren The Purpose Driven Life and was wondering whether that was a good place to start.

Wow, from Catholicism to Max Lucado! That's quite a contrast. lol God bless you both in your search for God's Truth. You both seem to be on the right track and remember, we are hear to help. :wink:

If you are into audio over the internet, may I suggest you give a listen to Dr. David Jeremiah? http://www.turningpointradio.org/ Click on the link for 'radio' and go to the 'radio archive' link. There you can hear many of his broadcasts.

Also, check out http://www.family.org for a Christian perspective on current events. There is much there for everyone, whether you are a family or not. You can also check my church's site for more links. :wink: The link is on the 'WWW' button below.

God bless,
Vic

Wow, from Catholicism to Max Lucado!

Vic that sounds like some kind of comparison :-? and one I can't make :sad as I've stated before I grew up Catholic but have some serious difficulites....Like all the STUFF they didn't TEACH ME :wink:

I'm glad everyone on these forums are so helpful.

Do you like Max Lucado? So far he's my favourite. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I meant nothing bad by that. I was amused by the fact that RRC and Max seem to be in contrast as to what they teach. I like Max. I was a RC for 18 years. I know where you are coming from. Three years ago, when I told my mom I was being baptized, she said to me, "What are you talking about? You were already baptized when you were an infant." I said to her, "No, I was Christened then, now I am being baptized." I explained to her the difference, but she still didn't quite get it. :-?

Have you read Max's prayer from the 'America Prays' service in Sept. 2001? It was a national radio event. It is beautiful. It was less than 1 week after 911 and was very inspired. The event was planned well before 911. And how timely is was. Here it is...

Do It Again, Lord
by Max Lucado

We’re still hoping we’ll wake up. We’re still hoping we’ll open a sleepy eye and think, “What a horrible dream.â€

But we won’t, will we, Father? What we saw was not a dream. Planes did gouge towers. Flames did consume our fortress. People did perish. It was no dream and, dear Father, we are sad.

There is a ballet dancer who will no longer dance and a doctor who will no longer heal. A church has lost her priest, a classroom is minus a teacher. Cora ran a food pantry. Paige was a counselor and Dana, dearest Father, Dana was only three years old. (Who held her in those final moments?)

We are sad, Father. For as the innocent are buried, our innocence is buried as well. We thought we were safe. Perhaps we should have known better. But we didn’t.

And so we come to you. We don’t ask you for help; we beg you for it. We don’t request it; we implore it. We know what you can do. We’ve read the accounts. We’ve pondered the stories and now we plead, “Do it again, Lord. Do it again.â€

Remember Joseph? You rescued him from the pit. You can do the same for us. Do it again, Lord.

Remember the Hebrews in Egypt? You protected their children from the angel of death. We have children too, Lord. Do it again.

And Sarah? Remember her prayers? You heard them. Joshua? Remember his fears? You inspired him. The women at the tomb? You resurrected their hope. The doubts of Thomas? You took them away. Do it again, Lord. Do it again.

You changed Daniel from a captive into a king’s counselor. You took Peter the fisherman and made him Peter an apostle. Because of you, David went from leading sheep to leading armies. Do it again, Lord, for we need counselors today, Lord. We need apostles. We need leaders. Do it again, dear Lord.

Most of all, do again what you did at Calvary. What we saw here last Tuesday, you saw there that Friday. Innocence slaughtered. Goodness murdered. Mothers weeping. Evil dancing. Just as the smoke eclipsed our morning, so the darkness fell on your Son. Just as our towers were shattered, the very Tower of Eternity was pierced.

And by dusk, heaven’s sweetest song was silent, buried behind a rock.

But you did not waver, O Lord. You did not waver. After three days in a dark hole, you rolled the rock and rumbled the earth and turned the darkest Friday into the brightest Sunday. Do it again, Lord. Grant us a September Easter.

We thank you, dear Father, for these hours of unity. Christians are praying with Jews. Republicans are standing with Democrats. Skin colors have been covered by the ash of burning buildings. We thank you for these hours of unity.

And we thank you for these hours of prayer. The Enemy sought to bring us to our knees and succeeded. He had no idea, however, that we would kneel before you. And he has no idea what you can do.

Let your mercy be upon our President, Vice President, and their families. Grant to those who lead us wisdom beyond their years and experience. Have mercy upon the souls who have departed and the wounded who remain. Give us grace that we might forgive and faith that we might believe.

And look kindly upon your church. For two thousand years you’ve used her to heal a hurting world.

Do it again, Lord. Do it again.

Through Christ, Amen.

http://www.heartlight.org/prayerforthen ... again.html

Thanks all

I have some good ideas, and have run up a bill at Amazon. I got Rick Warren's books The Purpose-Driven Life, and Planned For God's Pleasure. Also got Bill Hybel's Too Busy Not to Pray, and a study bible - Life Application, Indexed, NASB (from recommendations from another forum).

I am sure they will be good starting points, but I still welcome any additional suggestions.

An oldie but a goodie is Josh McDowell's Evidence that Demands a Verdict. It's a book that can be read as a book sequentially or you can go chapter-to-chapter. Deals with historical aspects of the Bible (why some books are included, others not), Jesus, etc. It's a little dry but filled with facts and the 'behind the scenes' of how/why Bible and our beliefs are what they are.

On a similar note, I also recommend a good website http://www.bible-history.com you could spend hours or days here--I know I have :biggrin

soe of the first books i read when i became christian were
"desiring god" by john piper
"mere christianity" cs lewis
"case for faith" and "case for christ" are both good reads and common recommendations

you can find all those in your run of the mill book store in the religion section if you aren't near a christian book store.

Ditto to John Piper, Lee Strobel and CS Lewis, and I'd add Phillip Yancey and John Bevere. For something a bit older but so solid and meaty, try Andrew Murray. I'd be wary of Rick Warren - I find him too formulaic and human-focussed, and don't touch Kenneth Hagin. He teaches a school of thought called Word of Faith which is occult in origin and a huge blasphemy towards God. If anyone wants to start another thread on WoF I'd be happy to discuss what I've found. I was into it for 7 years, along with stuff by Benny Hinn, and the Copelands; you need to be discerning with a lot of Christian writing these days. There's so much out there, and not all of it is good. As you go deeper in your relationship with God, you'll find the Holy Spirit directing you towards what you should be reading/doing. It's a huge and thrilling adventure!

Jules

wigginsmum said:
...I'd be wary of Rick Warren - I find him too formulaic and human-focussed, and don't touch Kenneth Hagin. He teaches a school of thought called Word of Faith which is occult in origin and a huge blasphemy towards God. If anyone wants to start another thread on WoF I'd be happy to discuss what I've found. I was into it for 7 years, along with stuff by Benny Hinn, and the Copelands; you need to be discerning with a lot of Christian writing these days. There's so much out there, and not all of it is good. As you go deeper in your relationship with God, you'll find the Holy Spirit directing you towards what you should be reading/doing. It's a huge and thrilling adventure!

Jules
Jules has been doing her homework! :wink: God bless you. :angel:

baylok said:

"Follow the Lamb" - Horatio Bonar
Short - simple - excellent

"Practical Religion" - J.C. Ryle
Outstanding topics - easy reading - he brings you throught the main means of grace

Can't go wrong with the above.

May God bless 8-)

Oh yes! Philip Yancey is great. I highly recommend Where Is God When It Hurts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back