Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Boyfriend's haircut.

Haircut - the right move?

• Yes - he looks more masculine and long hair isn't for men.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too drastic - hair length isn't really a big issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Jules C

My boyfriend David has been speaking to his church leader, who believes that long hair is not for men. So he's agreed on an uncompromising haircut today. Is it necessary? The leader has quoted from several places, most specifically Romans.
SCAN.jpg

He has been preparing for it the last few days, as it's an emotional thing. Pushing his hair behind his ears to see what he'll look like! I sometimes think the pastor has been making a fuss and it isn't a real issue. An outdated argument? But is it? This will probably cost him something, and not just in money terms!

Re: Boyfriend's haircut today.

Didn't Prophet Jesus used to have long hair? In Islam we are told it is the way of the prophets, i.e that every Prophet had long hair, and a beard etc. In Islam if we fulfill the 'ways' then there is reward. It is actually disliked in Islam to have a 'normal' haircut but not a sin.

Whats the standing in Christianity?

See link: http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... ages&gbv=2

My mistake above. There is a scripture from Corinthians, not from romans, that condemns long hair on men.

Please vote in the poll - you can be honest!

OK the poll didn't cover my opinion. So here's my vote: He looks fantastic!! And his ears don't look big with short hair, the long hair seem to bring attention to them, now they seem to go with his head. Nice shaped head with his ears....Very handsome....perfessional looking.....it adds something to his appearance of character.

Now, my husband has very long black hair down his back with a beard. Our pastors has never said anything to him about his long hair on his own. My husband asked him one time about it, and he told him "Bear it doesn't appear to me that you wear your hair long to appear feminine". But if I need you to do a part as Jesus in one of our holiday plays if Robins not available, I hope you stand in his place, which is a biker friend Bear grew up with since they were like 7 & 8.

I believe, and this is my interpetation of the Word how I recieved in the spirit, is that were not to wear the opposite sex clothing with the hearts and minds to match, nor our hair/accessories with the same intentions. I have christian female friends that have short hair, but they don't wear it with the intentions of wanting to look like a man. And by all means they look/appear very feminine, even from the back. As does my very masculine husband whose 6'4" 290 lb man built solid like a football player with his long hair doesn't in the least even slightly look feminine....even from the back. He doesn't at all. I personally feel very uncomfortable with short hair, so I keep my blond hair long, alittle over half way down my back, my hair is longer than my husbands, I keep mine curled, he keeps his in a ponytail.

Your pastor is referring to 1 Corinthians 11:14

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

notes: God desires that the physicl differences between men and women be observed. (1) Paul uses hair as an example, stating that the length of the hair of men and women should be such as to distinguish between one or the other.

In NT times long hair was digraceful and shunned by jewish men as well as by those of first century Corinth. Pictures/potraits of Jesus are purely the artist perception, but is not biblical according to HIS Word. Otherwise Pauls statement is in conflict, not with the customs of Jesus.

I think your boyfriend is a handsome guy either way, but the pastor made much too big a fuss or a non-issue. Has the man never heard of the Nazarite vow?

As for Jesus, there is really no way of knowing exactly how He kept His hair. I can't imagine a less important issue, other than the curiosity factor. Tradition always shows Him with long hair, but that's simply tradition, not fact.

It's easy to point to a verse in the Scriptures and say, "This proves the issue one way or another", but I wouldn't pull out 1 Corinthians 11:14 as a proof text on this issue. First of all, the issue Paul is speaking of isn't the length of men's hair, it's whether or not women should cover their hair when they pray. And, Paul wraps up this section on whether or not women should cover their hair with, "If one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God" which shows that Paul is speaking of cultural issues here, not a set and forever commandment of God. If a woman covering her head or a man having short hair was a commandment of God, we'd get something along the line of "Thus saith the Lord".

Your boyfriend does look nice with the haircut. But, if he doesn't like it and wants to grow it out again, there's no reason why he shouldn't. As for the pastor, perhaps he should put his energies into more important issues facing the church today.

One final note, I don't think most cultures would find your boyfriends hair all that long. When I first started reading before seeing the picture, I was expecting something a lot longer, like down to the waist or something! :-D

Thanks for some really positive comments!

Well, Dave had discussed this for a good while with the pastor. The pastor is an uncompromising sort of guy.

Maybe he sees it as David letting go of a previously wild and rebellious nature.

But I was shaking when he walked in looking so vastly different this morning!

I agree with you Dora........there's bigger issues at hand in these last days.....like leading the lost to the salvation of Jesus, and training them up in HIS Word. But a man can have long hair and still look like a man very masculine. And a women can have short hair these days and still look very feminine. And chances are if the pastors focus was in training up in the Word, he'd probably done it on his own in the future. I don't think heaven or hell bound depend on the length of one's hair. Look at Samson, his strength that God gave him was in the length of his hair. Now why would God do this, if it was such an issue?

And here's another point I edited in. Has your boyfriend ever been mistaken as a women? If not then whats the problem? There's where the shame would come into the picture over mistaken gender idenity.

Has your boyfriend ever been mistaken as a women?

Hehe - no, not to my knowledge. And he definitely would not be now!

I think it's very unlikely he'll grow his hair back. I'll get used to it.

I'll speak as a Guy who also used to have long hair(a reversed mullet of sorts). I have personally felt better with my short hair. I feel more mature and I've recieved a bit more respect from some folks around me who didn't like the long hair at all. I decided on my own to cut it short, and I haven't regretted it. Now I even look good dressed up, Just ask Caromurp.

Hair length has no relevance to Christianity. A pastor's opinion on the manliness or otherwise of hair-length is personal and no more (nor less) valuable than anyone else's. My next-door neighbour is in his 40s and has hair half-way down his back. This does not make him a better or a worse person, nor more nor less rebellious. If your boyfriend is cool either way, it's up to him.

Ahmed said:
Didn't Prophet Jesus used to have long hair?

Maybe, I don't know. But Jesus the Son of God is usually depicted with long hair.

Off the top of my head, I can only think about the Nazarite vow which included not cutting one's hair, eating or drinking anything connected with the vine, and not coming into contact with the dead. Samson was a Nazarite, and had never cut his hair, so it would have been very long indeed.

Jules, I will say this about David: The fact that he was willing to do this shows a heart that is seeking to fulfill God's will and one that is open to learning. This is a good thing and is far more important that hair length.

Is there other verses related to Hair. If you look at Priests of Russia they all seem to have long hair and beards?

That's the only one in the new Testament that I know of that refers to just men. The others mainly pertain to women, now the OT does about clothing and such, beards/hair but it's pretty clear in what it's saying. But again as I said before.....look at the example of Samson and Delihla, and God cursed him for revealing to man/women the gift given to him by God through the length of his hair.

But like Dora said, he has a heart for God to cut his hair.

I think it's true that he definitely believed he was doing the right thing. And that's great!

But I do take the point about heavy-handed church leaders overstepping the mark.

I'm curious Jules, does the pastor teach that all women must wear head-coverings in church as well?

Yes - in fact they have strict rules relating to the position of women in the church. Not always popular! I might start a separate thread on that one!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back