Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bride price

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

I was just thinking about this bride price thing. I have been thinking about it for long though.

Okay now. Must one pay this price in this 'general world' today? And what amount should be paid, what range (for people who think it's okay)

In some cultures the price is astonishingly low while in some others it is frighteningly high (as if the woman is being sold). :biggrinunno :confused :shrug

The concept is so foreign here in the States... the idea of a groom paying the brides family any kind of money is something that would be considered quite wrong. Is this something that is still practiced in your country, Classik?

The concept is so foreign here in the States... the idea of a groom paying the brides family any kind of money is something that would be considered quite wrong. Is this something that is still practiced in your country, Classik?

Yeah - and everywhere, I think.

I think it has global acknowledgement among most Christians.

Sounds like a groom buying a woman in the name of obeying culture. (bilblical? Still biblical?).

I'm trying to find if it has a strong biblical root.

I had absolutely no idea that dowries were still being paid in Europe by Europeans. (Not counting the many who come in from different nations, I'm speaking of natives.)

I just have the opinion of Europeans being very liberal minded nowadays... and dowries seem so outdated and very anti-politically correct.

I just have the opinion of Europeans being very liberal minded nowadays... and dowries seem so outdated and very anti-politically correct.
:lol

Dowry? Sounds like curry to me. I like calling it the title of the thread.

---
I'm still trying to find the origin, bilblical origin. I can't understand why most non-chrisians and typical unbelievers (most of them) still practise it.

Not doing the dowry thing sounds like not obeying the scripture to me. In fact...I don't know if it has strong biblical basis. I'm yet to find out. Time to call my mom.

It has a scriptural basis in that it was the common practice back then. All the marriages described in the OT (besides Adam and Eve's) have dowries as part of the arrangement.

It's not something that Christians have to do... it's more culturally based.

Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

His blood was a big price to pay for his wife

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back