Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] broken spirits

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Shrinks broke my spirit in a private, for-profit mental hospital almost 10 years ago. I was 20. My eyes went dead. Now...

...there's a bright light in my eyes, thanks to Christ. But I wonder...in my moments of doubt, wonder...

...can a broken spirit be made whole?

Yes, a broken spirit can be made whole, but it might take time. Although I didn't go through the same things you did, I was so low at one point that I tried to commit suicide. More than once, in fact. But God lifted me up and today I have forgiven everyone involved and have no such thoughts any more. God has healed my spirit.

The TOG​

Shrinks broke my spirit in a private, for-profit mental hospital almost 10 years ago. I was 20. My eyes went dead. Now...

...there's a bright light in my eyes, thanks to Christ. But I wonder...in my moments of doubt, wonder...

But when they told Jacob all that Joseph had said to them, and when he saw the wagons that Joseph had sent to transport him, the spirit of their father Jacob revived. Genesis 45:27

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8

Oh yes, broken spirits can be made whole again. And all it takes is complete and utter faith, Christ_empowered !

As iLOVE pointed out by citing Genesis 45:27, many have been broken in spirit yet healed through faith. Our Lord's love for us is immeasurable. That love is not a strip of cheap tape to temporarily fix what is broken. Instead, His love is so strong, and it is thoroughly encompassing. His love heals us!

I rarely share this but for the sake of edification and testifying of God's work I will. I was sexually molested at a young age by a family member. It messed me up pretty bad, anyone who has been through that understands that it makes you see the world through the eyes of an old man, when you should have had a few more years seeing the world innocently. A dark cloud hung over my head. I got into drugs and drinking in my teen years and a harsh rebellion, I think if things would have kept going the way they were going, I would have killed myself. I was broken without a doubt, blackened, devoid of life, zealous for hedonism and twisted things, dark things, opposed to order and structure... all around a broken spirit.

One day God showed me how to forgive this person. You wouldn't believe the 180 that can happen when a person accepts the notion to truly forgive someone. I've hugged that person's neck and have shared a table with that person, I have shared my love, where once I plotted on how I might kill that person. It doesn't pain me anymore, I can speak freely of it without shame, guilt, anger, or sadness -- not as though I'm detached from it, but because there is true forgiveness in my heart.

But don't remark at any of that, truly, it's one avenue of life that God has given me great grace and understanding in, while there are other avenues of my spirit life that are so lacking that it'd make you sick. Not looking for glory or "holy points", just to share that even the worst offenses against us CAN be forgiven, SHOULD be forgiven, and WILL catapult you into heavenly places when you release a person from their hold over you. We forgive for their sake, yes, but that's only probably 10% of it, the other 90% of forgiveness is exclusively for ourselves -- saying goodbye to that black cloud, being pulled from darkness and robed in righteousness in Christ, life twinkling once more in deadened eyes, the clarity of mind which comes with accepting you are no longer bound by any of it, the shackles are gone. Not forgiving holds things over our heads much longer than we should ever allow it to.

My molester, your shrinks, no matter who it is, Christ died for them as well. I couldn't explain to you how it felt when I realized the chains I wore around my neck I had the key to the entire time, God gave it to me the day it happened, it's called forgiveness.

It is a greatly private issue that I chose to share and I doubt I ever will again, but from my spirit to yours, there is no spirit that can't be made whole -- otherwise "life abundantly" and a "cup running over" would be a lie.

I rarely share this but for the sake of edification and testifying of God's work I will. I was sexually molested at a young age by a family member. It messed me up pretty bad, anyone who has been through that understands that it makes you see the world through the eyes of an old man, when you should have had a few more years seeing the world innocently. A dark cloud hung over my head. I got into drugs and drinking in my teen years and a harsh rebellion, I think if things would have kept going the way they were going, I would have killed myself. I was broken without a doubt, blackened, devoid of life, zealous for hedonism and twisted things, dark things, opposed to order and structure... all around a broken spirit.

One day God showed me how to forgive this person. You wouldn't believe the 180 that can happen when a person accepts the notion to truly forgive someone. I've hugged that person's neck and have shared a table with that person, I have shared my love, where once I plotted on how I might kill that person. It doesn't pain me anymore, I can speak freely of it without shame, guilt, anger, or sadness -- not as though I'm detached from it, but because there is true forgiveness in my heart.

But don't remark at any of that, truly, it's one avenue of life that God has given me great grace and understanding in, while there are other avenues of my spirit life that are so lacking that it'd make you sick. Not looking for glory or "holy points", just to share that even the worst offenses against us CAN be forgiven, SHOULD be forgiven, and WILL catapult you into heavenly places when you release a person from their hold over you. We forgive for their sake, yes, but that's only probably 10% of it, the other 90% of forgiveness is exclusively for ourselves -- saying goodbye to that black cloud, being pulled from darkness and robed in righteousness in Christ, life twinkling once more in deadened eyes, the clarity of mind which comes with accepting you are no longer bound by any of it, the shackles are gone. Not forgiving holds things over our heads much longer than we should ever allow it to.

My molester, your shrinks, no matter who it is, Christ died for them as well. I couldn't explain to you how it felt when I realized the chains I wore around my neck I had the key to the entire time, God gave it to me the day it happened, it's called forgiveness.

It is a greatly private issue that I chose to share and I doubt I ever will again, but from my spirit to yours, there is no spirit that can't be made whole -- otherwise "life abundantly" and a "cup running over" would be a lie.
I want to encourage you to keep your eyes on Jesus. No matter how distant things may appear, how empty you may feel, or how much loss you have suffered, I have a word for you today: There is always hope.

Tonys-Blog-Greater-The-Destiny-resized-600.png

Hang in there - there is a purpose for your pain.

Thanks everyone, especially Blake.

The more I actually talk with people (and listen...equally, if not more important, lol), the more I realize that life is hard on everyone. I think what bothered me in my situation was so-called "professionals" deliberately inducing excessive trauma and pain, with the justification that "well, he's narcissistic...what else are we supposed to do?" Riiight.

Anyway, I also have to show more gratitude and be steadier in my ways. God has been good to me, as He is to all His children, many of us before we even become His children, because He's just that gracious and benevolent. I prayed my own little sinner's prayer and cried almost exactly 2 years ago, but I couldn't really *get* Christ or Christianity, you know? Not at a deep level.

Now, 2 years later...I can feel things again, especially things of Christ. My writing style has improved and continues to improve w/ regular assignments at Liberty. I'm less apathetic, not as lazy and inert. I'm waking up to the reality of the external world, which is not supposed to happen (social isolation + madness + narcissism + loads of involuntary electroshock= la-la land).

I have outgrown or am outgrowing NPD. That's huge. Yeah, I mean...if mental health people would actually skim the literature once in a while, they'd see that NPD isn't always a permanent state of being. Lives change, people change. Some people mellow out with maturation, some people are NPD as teens and young adults and tone it down later, some people are healed through spiritual experiences, etc. For me, its all about Jesus when it comes to tackling the dreaded NPD. "It is no longer I who lives, it is Christ who lives in me." Plus, lots of the NT--I just got finished reading Romans 1-8 for Liberty, so I'm thinking of that chunk of Scripture, in particular-- indicates that, left to our own devices, we're all somewhat narcissistic. Rebellion, witchcraft, sexual deviance, general nastiness and sinfulness, etc...its a big part of human nature, not just an NPD thing. Honestly, sometimes I think NPD-ers get picked on because the whole culture is becoming much more narcissistic. Example: when I was younger, docs told everyone how terribly NPD I was. Lots of pretentious (I mean, like college professors and other people...well-educated, under paid, uber-pretentious by nature) would pick on me for being NPD. I guess I was NPD and they were "authentic" or something. I dunno. For my progress/transformation, I think the NPD was loved away by Christ, which is awesome, because everybody else was extremely sadistic and punitive towards me...for having been diagnosed with NPD. At age 18-20.

People are cruel, too. I think that I was really childlike and childish and then went crazy and had all kinds of shrink-induced trauma and brain damage, so I'm just now facing reality. And it bites, honestly. Nobody in the world cares about anybody's problems very much, especially if you're low on the totem pole. Poor people are routinely oppressed, something even parts of the OT address. And "mental patients..." wow. Sure, you can recover: on our terms. In my case, that means the docs who destroyed me so thoroughly years ago want to control every aspect of my life and tell me how to recover and how to live, what to think, etc. That sort of controlling stuff towards the mentally ill (in large part because poverty overlaps with mental illness) isn't limited to my ex-shrinks. Because I'm not a member of this community, because people project things on to me, because I'm stigmatized, even my neighbors feel like they have the right to control me.

Blah blah blah...back to my original post. I was out driving today (to get cigarettes...terrible, I know) and it dawned on me: new creation in Christ Jesus. That's me, that's you, that's every Born Again Christian. And I felt a peace and serenity, rooted not in therapy, counseling, self-help, self-talk, etc., but rather rooted in Christ. That's huge for me. Coming to the realization that I really, honestly, truly can't think my way out of sin and pain, but must instead rely on Christ (and Him crucified) for everything, that the goal isn't to be "well-adjusted," but rather to be good, not to self-actualize but to die to self daily, etc., that's huge.

Which brings me to another point....my ex-shrinks don't care for my Christianity. I was saved by Pentecostals and have the privilege of talking to an older, wiser, Pentecostal woman often, sometimes daily. Her now deceased husband would chime in sometimes, too. Great people. Anyway, point is...I emailed an ex-shrink (bad move, I know) on some ways that psychology and psychiatry contradict Scripture, and they're less than pleased. That and me saying that Jesus loves poor and stigmatized people. And that I want to be celibate (ex-gay here), per The Bible.

Ramble ramble....point is, I came to the realization that I may not have my original spirit. I mean, I don't know how these things work, but...to say "Jesus healed my Spirit" would be to contradict "I am a new creation in Christ Jesus." I was wretched and broken when I came to Christ, and now I'm prone to sins, still, but I seem to have been made (and am being made) increasingly, surprisingly, amazingly...whole. By coming to the end of myself and relying of Christ and His goodness, I have found (and am finding...hopefully, will find) a whole new life, character, personality, hope, etc. Everything I could ever ask for, plus more.

Sorry this was so long.

In moments of doubt and wonder,God is there with you to help you get through it.
Who doesn't have moments of doubt and wonder?
Jesus said a prayer for us in John 17, blessing us for believing but not seeing in the flesh.
He prayed he would never lose a single one of us.

It's okay to stumble and fall, we have all done things that we regret. But the most important thing is to turn back to God and to let go of the past, you cannot carry it with you.

I was not always the person I am now, I'm still far from perfect but I would say I am a much better person and God is a part of my life.

Nothing is to much for God, try focussing your attention and time on positive things, maybe help out underprivileged kids or something to that sort. Use your past to your advantage to make a difference in other people's lives.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back