Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bruce Lee Fist of Fury

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Bruce Lee Nunchaku - Fist of Fury Whole Scene!!

[video=youtube;CHFXTeQWXjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFXTeQWXjo&NR=1[/video]

I really think that Bruce was the greatest of all time, bar none.
you sure of that? for his day yes.but he did have one student whom he said he cant beat. the bball star kareem abdul jabar.and he is in the movie the chinese connection.

what lee said wasnt new just a reminder of what the real warriors that used the martial for what they were for fighting would do. use what worked and eliminate what didnt.

Mister Parker could have beaten him. That dude was vicious. He is the one who taught Chuck Norris, so you know he means business! Plus he was the guy who was the on-site expert for The Perfect Weapon. Heck, he is the one who got Bruce Lee a movie gig. The "Father of American Karate" is his name. And he trained Elvis.

Now Ed Parker did say that Bruce Lee could beat him because Lee was the best marital artist he had ever seen pound for pound. However, Mr. Parker had a very humble attitude, I'm sure he was just making nice :) In a fight it'd come down to who made the first mistake, and traditionally the first mistake comes from the most inexperienced person, meaning Bruce Lee.

I'd love to go on, but I am covered in bruises from class last night (we were doing some brutal take downs all night) so I'm going to start driving to class early so I can take it nice and slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guy's none of them could have beaten him. And Kareem was not that good and I think that was a rumor. Bruce and Kareem were very good friends. And as for the comment about him being good for his time. If Bruce were alive today and he was the same age as when he died, I think he was 32, not none of these modern day martial artist could beat him. Bruce was the best on the planet at that time. And he had unmatched power in the fight game for his size. Did you see him swing those 2 guy's around in that clip. that was not phony, that was real. Bruce was the greatest of all time, just like Muhammed Ali is the greatest heavy weight boxer of all time.

Sorry guy's none of them could have beaten him. And Kareem was not that good and I think that was a rumor. Bruce and Kareem were very good friends. And as for the comment about him being good for his time. If Bruce were alive today and he was the same age as when he died, I think he was 32, not none of these modern day martial artist could beat him. Bruce was the best on the planet at that time. And he had unmatched power in the fight game for his size. Did you see him swing those 2 guy's around in that clip. that was not phony, that was real. Bruce was the greatest of all time, just like Muhammed Ali is the greatest heavy weight boxer of all time.
uhmm have you ever read the tao of jeet kun do and what he said about his moves in the movies! i tell you UNREALISTIC and USELESS. but what i know i didnt train in his arts when i was in the army. i didnt meet his first black student. lee for the movies was trained by jackie chan.

his other mentors that are alive:
wally jay, of small circle ju jitsu
chuck norris , they did train together
yip man(died recently) and note wing chung doesnt have spinning kicks nor high kicks. it has two kicks. the front and side kick.
danny inosanto(of kali and remy presas influence) that is why you see lee with the escrima sticks. i could tell that he was beggining in that and he mentions that in his book.mr. inosanto died in the mid 90's.

in the first movie enter the dragon the martial master that he kills was a praying mantis type and also learned from lee as well. ed parker that is name i havent heard of in years.

lewis buy the tao of jeet kun do and read what lee says. lee was into zen buddism be warned.

I don't know Lewis. Ed Parker was easily as skilled as Bruce Lee. Ed Parker's only downfall (if you can even call it that) is that he practiced his own type of martial arts, meaning his art did not have decades and centuries to be refined. However I don't think that would have stopped him. Bruce Lee commented that Parker's Kenpo was the most destructive and to-the-point martial art he'd ever seen before. Bruce Lee actually refused a match that someone was going to sponsor between the two of them.

Jason, really? Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't either except my instructor was taught under Ed Parker so he is always referring to him.
I just finished watching that video... man his opponents were total newbs. I mean who grabs a guy from behind like that?

it makes sense if you look at what zen teaches and what jeet kun do means.

i think its the way of no way. and he states by naming my art jeet jun do it limits the art to that definition only but how can i teach it if it has no name. these are most zen in nature.

ok. the name of bruce lees art that he teaches is called the art of jeet kun do. it means the way of no way.meaning this simple philosophy borrowed from zen theres no good or evil only what is. practicalality dictates that his art teaches that each person learns from the sifu or teacher and they then once having master the basics explore what works for them and what doesnt. the sifu is pointing the moon so to speak and tells the student this where you want to go and how you get there is your path and each path for each person is different.

by naming his art something he has limited that art to only that, thus contradicting what he was teaching. he isnt considered the god father of mma for no reason. he aslo started the idea of suppliments for strength training and condition by a company we all know GNC!

[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]So who is the greatest martial-arts champion ever?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]By Chuck Norris[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]April 30, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Parade magazine this past week conducted an online poll, asking the question, "Who would you rate as the toughest martial-arts star ever on the big screen?" America was given five choices: the late Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme and me. The results can be read online.
(Column continues below)

Of course, movies are quite different than real life. Fighting in the ring is definitely much more difficult than brawling in front of the camera. I always preferred the opened cuts and broken bones on film!
The Parade survey prompted a close associate to ask me, "Chuck, so who is the greatest martial-arts champion ever?"

Decades of gifted contenders

Martial arts have evolved over the last 50 years, with modern forms largely originating from China, Okinawa, Korea, Japan and Brazil. And great fighters have fine-tuned and mastered the techniques developed from each of these countries.
I easily get nostalgic thinking about the competitive champs of yesteryear, men like Allen Steen, Skipper Mullins, Roy Kurban, Benny Urquidez, Mike Stone, Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace. I will always treasure the fights and the fellowship I had with many of these vintage combat warriors.
Of course, our contemporary prot?g?s of mixed martial arts, such as those involved in Pride, have become fearsome contenders in their own right: men like Fedor Emelianenko, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Mark Coleman and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Others from the World Combat League include Ray Daniels, Tim Connors, Steve Thompson, Jennifer Santiago and Jeri Sykes – just to mention a few of the great fighters today.

What about Bruce Lee?

Bruce Lee was very fast, and he learned from everybody. He never believed in only one style, or that one style was the best. He said that everything had strengths and weaknesses, and what he wanted to do was find the strengths in each. He had a very open mind, constantly learning from others.
When I first started working out with Bruce, he only believed in kicking below the waist from his training in Wing Chun. I told him not to limit himself, and at least develop the ability to kick high, whether he used it or not.
I started to do my spinning heel kicks and hitting the pads. Then Bruce started doing it, and in six months he could do it as well as anybody. He worked out with me, Joe Lewis and Mike Stone – he learned from all of us, as we learned from him. And in doing so, he added to his repertoire of techniques, as we did. Bruce Lee was far ahead of everybody else in that field. He had a vision that was years ahead of everyone.
As formidable an opponent he was on-screen and off, however, many today don't realize he never competed professionally. Although I believe if he had, he would have been a world champion. His fame was established with the "Green Hornet" television series and immortalized with such movies as "Enter the Dragon" and "Return of the Dragon," in which Lee and I fought in the now-famous fighting sequence inside the Roman Coliseum.
In addition to his lighting speed and incredible strength, Lee was a master marketer – a fact demonstrated by his ability to talk the world karate champion, me, into being defeated on-screen! Still, as I pointed out in a previous WND column on Bruce, I totally enjoyed sparring and just spending time with him. He was as charismatic and friendly at home as he was on film.

What about Joe Lewis?

Some years back in Black Belt Magazine, there was a poll asking who was the greatest martial arts champion of all time. Opinions narrowed to two: Joe Lewis and me.
Joe was a great fighter with superb technique. I'll never forget in 1967, when he and I had won all our matches at the Internationals, we found ourselves in our third fight together for the grand championship in two years! Unlike the last two fights I'd had with him, this one was more of a chess game – neither of us wanted to make a wrong move. The match went into overtime with neither of us scoring. The one who scored the first point would be the winner and Grand Champion.
I attacked Joe, but he defended magnificently. I relaxed for a moment as though I had finished my attack. When I saw him relax too, I shot forward, executing a backhand strike to his face. The judges raised their flags signifying the point was scored – I was the International Grand Champion!
Joe and I fought one more time at Allen Steen's tournament in Dallas, Texas. This time, Joe beat me for the Grand Championship. I graciously congratulated him on the win and, from that defeat, we finally became friends.

So who is the greatest?

As much as I love competition, the more I study the Bible, the more I realize that beating someone is no way to feel fulfilled in life. Gratification at another's expense is not a commendable trait, but building up others at our own expense is.
Speaking of developing potential, some might question my efforts to teach martial arts to young people by calling it a form of violence, but actually it is just the opposite. It's the bullies in this life who are afraid and do all the fighting, not those who develop a sense of worth and security by learning self-defense. They grow in self-esteem and are trained to respect others, not beat them up. When we mature that form of significance in these youngsters, and all of a sudden they have no reason to fight, it's the most gratifying feeling in the world.
So who's the greatest?
The truth is I'm not worthy enough to answer that. But there is One who is. And His answer applies to the martial arts as well as any other field of discipline, study or work.
When an argument broke out among Jesus' disciples as to who was the greatest, He called over a child to their sides, then replied, "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest … those who are the greatest should take the lowest rank, and the leader should be like a servant."
It isn't being the greatest champion, but the greatest servant that ultimately matters. I know that might seem easy for me to say, having been a six-time world champion, but I mean it. It took me too many years to realize that it isn't the ladders we climb but the service we offer in this life that truly makes us great.

Read more: So who is the greatest martial-arts champion ever? So who is the greatest martial-arts champion ever?

yes, good article and chuck norris is a christian. i didnt know that norris was the one that got lee into high kicks. i figured it was jackie chan for the sake of movies.

lewis, lee is buried next to jimmy hendrix in washington, renton,wa actually and his first dojo i believe now is a museum that pays homage to the legacy of lee and jeet kun do(which today is still taught).

A couple of years ago or about 3 years ago they moved Jimi's grave to the other side of the cemetery, they built a new structure to house him and his dad, and to make it visitor friendly.

Chuck Norris wrote
Bruce Lee was far ahead of everybody else in that field. He had a vision that was years ahead of everyone.
This is exactly what I am talking about.

Bruce Lee Vs Chuck Norris (Way of the Dragon) Climactic Fight to Death

[video=youtube;TYHZEu7Y7DU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHZEu7Y7DU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
you post movies to show evidence? really this to a guy who in a sense was in his whole life in the martial arts influenced by lee

theres a reason i have done many arts. and i love mma as its soo much what lee envisioned yet to my knowledge the gracies never met lee. trust me as kid i used to read the ads about the vale tudo challenge in kung-fu and black belt magasine.

again what lee said isnt new. i should do a history post on greco-roman wrestling in the days of the roman empire being grappling.boxing and kicking in the competations. its call pancrease.where the word pancreas comes from. (difficult challenge).

do you really know what lee was saying? i know as i was taugh it. each of the black belts under my sensei had his influence and all know the katas. yet look at how we fought, very little in common.

me, i fought at a distance with the side kick and reverse punch and was a counter puncher and changed my stragety depending who i sparred

tony. slow and big but has powerful boxing like punches, kicked primarily as defenses or to close the gap

jim . counter puncher extraoridinaire. slow and never kicked real high due to bad knees. timed his opponents and used their mistakes agiasnt them. very annoying to spar as i was a lot like him. study you and look for favorite techniques

sensei. could emulate us all,kicks at first where his forte, as we trained with him we could stop his kicks. he wouldnt stay in kicking range with me.(equal match) and used his better boxing skills to win. very good at learning from mistakes and also had power and could weave and slip as well.

bob. kicker primarily. i never stayed in his kick range. always shut his kicks down

that is what lee wanted. each of us once having learned what the basics were developed our way. each of had weakness and had to learn to work on them and also use our strengths as well.

No Jason, I have been showing movies just to liven up this board some to make it more interesting.

No Jason, I have been showing movies just to liven up this board some to make it more interesting.
lol. if you havent noticed. i take lee a bit more seriously then just his movies. that was just a part of him. a small part. like i said lee used flashy kicks for the movies and the real useful stuff was simple and to the point. any good fighting art has that mentality. the basics always wins the fight.

I'm a "throw you on the ground and beat on you" kind of guy. :biggrin

Weight and strength go a long way in making people stay far away from me in sparring because otherwise they will be on the ground and they will get hit. Even the close ranger fighters have learned to stay well back when they spar with me. :thumbsup

But movies mean nothing. That first movie, all the opponents made newb mistakes.

I'm a "throw you on the ground and beat on you" kind of guy. :biggrin

Weight and strength go a long way in making people stay far away from me in sparring because otherwise they will be on the ground and they will get hit. Even the close ranger fighters have learned to stay well back when they spar with me. :thumbsup

But movies mean nothing. That first movie, all the opponents made newb mistakes.

unless your opponent is better at ground and pound then you are.or can take your shots and dish it out. i do have ground game now but the more you think you know the less you do know.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back