Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Called, but Chosen?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It's common to classify people as either saved or unsaved, and that's a proper way to see things. But an unsaved person can either realize he's been called or not. Like Judas, he was called and he knew it. But he had no faith in God or in Christ. Or take Cain. After offering a sacrifice that didn't please God, God told Cain sin (which I think was unbelief) was crouching at his door, and he must master it. So Cain was called, but again he didn't have faith in God. I think it's proper to say Cain or Judas could have found a peace and salvation in God by asking God for faith (or to ask to help the lack of faith), since not all people have saving faith (John 6:64), and yet God isn't willing that any should perish. Similarly, Mark 9:24 with the father who asked Jesus to help his unbelief.

Sometimes I wonder where I am. Am I called or am I called AND saved? Have I responded in faith? I think the father in Mark 9:24 best suits me. I need help with my unbelief/lack of faith, yet I have enough of it to ask for help with my unbelief.

So my question, and I put it here in the theology section because it's so fundamentally theological.. when people don't have faith in God, a. what do they believe about God? b. if they have a seed of suspicion about God, what are they suspicious about, and c. is a suspicion something that can be overcome like in Mark 9:24?

Also, in the account in Mark 9:24, some texts say that Jesus told the disciples the only way to cast this type of demon out was by prayer and fasting. So let’s say you have a problem yourself with unbelief and suspicion about God. But you have enough faith to ask Jesus to help your unbelief. I imagine I would pray a lot about this and also fast. What would the fasting look like? We’re talking spiritual things so I don’t think Jesus is talking about food here. Maybe I’m wrong though?

So my question, and I put it here in the theology section because it's so fundamentally theological.. when people don't have faith in God, a. what do they believe about God? b. if they have a seed of suspicion about God, what are they suspicious about, and c. is a suspicion something that can be overcome like in Mark 9:24?
Great question but there are so many variables , beginning with what " people" you are referring to.
You mention what " people" believe about God, this can be broken down even further by starting off with what children think about God .
Children are people too after all .
To a child their parents are god, so if the child who looks to their parents as being their god comes to the realization one day that their parents look to a greater power than themselves for their Love, hope and strength, then it is highly likely that this will influence a young child's development in the matter of faith rather then suspicions.
Planting seeds of Hope rather then seeds of suspicion .
However if the parent's have no more hope for the child to witness than the hope of this decaying material world the door to the discovery of God's love is going to be much harder to open.
But God is faithful to all , this means to the child in the midst of human deception practiced by the parents as well , God is still present .
In most cases It will then be a rougher road to God for the Child whose parent's faith is placed in the desolation of this world and nothing more.
Not always though.
God's ways are more incredible than we can ever conceive in our human understanding.

Only from a child's heart , who has never experienced anything but surrender to this world from parents could a " suspicion " like this concerning God and the world to come, come forth :

" Mommy , Daddy, does God know that we don't believe in Him ?

You will never hear such a " suspicion " concerning God's omnipresence from an adult.
Led by a child, the child can very well be used by God to lead the unbelieving parents to the open door of God's presence as well.
To the point that they will one day look at each other and confess to each other,
"Surely God was in this house the whole time and we never knew it ."
Kind Regards , Consecrated Life .

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back