Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Calvary

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Rollo Tamasi

Warrior for Christ
What does calvary mean to you?
calvary=golgotha=place of the skull
A place just outside of Jerusalems' walls where Jesus was crucified.
We think of the cross and all it's meaning.
It's interesting that the word calvary is from the latin and only appeared in the original KJV from the vulgate.
It is otherwise not mentioned in the Bible by this name. Except for old songs and other sources, we would not even use the word calvary.
But when we think of the cross, we think of calvary.
Can anyone shed any light on possible more meanings of the word calvary?

Calvary is the English translation. It comes from the Latin Calvariae Locus.

The word Golgotha is a Greek term from the Aramaic Gûlgaltâ, and it means "place of the skull." Golgotha from the NT is a site outside of the walls of Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.

So you have Aramaic, to Greek, to Latin and finally English.

Beyond that, there's not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hill was named Golgotha because from the city, it resembles a skull.

golgotha.jpg

Pet peeve: the 7th Calvary. NO No No no, it is the 7th Cavelry! Well, I have always heard the 7th Calvary. They even say it wrong on
TV all the time. CaVELry. CaLVary is where Jesus died, not the millitary. Maybe we should all say Golgotha. I go to Golgotha Chapel.

Pet peeve: the 7th Calvary. NO No No no, it is the 7th Cavelry! Well, I have always heard the 7th Calvary. They even say it wrong on
TV all the time. CaVELry. CaLVary is where Jesus died, not the millitary. Maybe we should all say Golgotha. I go to Golgotha Chapel.

Actually, it's the 7th cavalry! ;)

Back