Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Can anyone here translate this (Greek)?

wavy

emeras (eta-mu-epsilon-rho-alpha-sigma) paratereiote (pi-alpha-rho-alpha-tau-eta-rho-epsilon-iota-sigma-theta-epsilon) kai (kappa-alpha-iota) menas (mu-eta-nu-alpha-sigma) kai (kappa-alpha-iota) kairous (kappa-alpha-iota-omikron-upsilon-sigma) kai (kappa-alpha-iota) eniautous (epsilon-nu-iota-alpha-upsilon-tau-omikron-upsilon-sigma)

omitting the spelling transliterations:

emeras paratereiote kai menas kai kairous kai eniautous

"And let them be signs for the day, the month, the season, and the year." or Genesis 1:14.

I'm curious where you got this translation? It's correct, but it isn't the version that appears in the Septuagint.

DeusVult said:
"And let them be signs for the day, the month, the season, and the year." or Genesis 1:14.

I'm curious where you got this translation? It's correct, but it isn't the version that appears in the Septuagint.

It's taken from Galatians 4:10. I wanted a literal interpretation. Nothing added or taken away.

wavy said:
It's taken from Galatians 4:10. I wanted a literal interpretation. Nothing added or taken away.

Sorry, my bad. My Greek is a bit rusty. :) Anyway, I pulled out my dictionary and (I think) it is literally translated as "You (pl.) are observing days and months and seasons and years."

emeras - days
menas - months
kairous - seasons
eniautous - years
kai - and
paratereisthe - observing (2nd pl present imperfect)

And where does "you" fit into the Greek text? In the word for "observing"?

How does it do this? (genuine question, I'm trying to get the right idea; no hidden motive)

The reason I'm curious about this is because people usually interpret this to mean that the Galatians were "trying to observe the law" by keeping sabbaths and feast days etc, and that Paul condemns this here.

However, I noticed something about the compound word "paratereo". It is never used in scripture in a positive context of obeying something. It is ALWAYS used in a sort of negative connotation, as in "watching" or "looking out" for something/some one.

Mark 3:2, Luke 6:7, Luke 14:1, Luke 20:20, Acts 9:24, and of course, Galatians 4:10.

However, all other references that use this word, it is translated "watched" in the KJV and always had to do with the Jewish leaders watching the Messiah to see if he would screw up and break a commandment or speak blasphemy or something.

The only exception is Acts 9:24 where some men "watched" for Paul so they could lay hands on him and kill him.

So, I'm wondering, how does this word fit into Galatians 4:10? What exactly were they doing?

wavy said:
And where does "you" fit into the Greek text? In the word for "observing"?

How does it do this? (genuine question, I'm trying to get the right idea; no hidden motive)

Greek rarely uses pronouns and indicates case with endings. The -sthe ending is the second person (you all) present perfect ending for paratereo.

The reason I'm curious about this is because people usually interpret this to mean that the Galatians were "trying to observe the law" by keeping sabbaths and feast days etc, and that Paul condemns this here.

However, I noticed something about the compound word "paratereo". It is never used in scripture in a positive context of obeying something. It is ALWAYS used in a sort of negative connotation, as in "watching" or "looking out" for something/some one.

Mark 3:2, Luke 6:7, Luke 14:1, Luke 20:20, Acts 9:24, and of course, Galatians 4:10.

However, all other references that use this word, it is translated "watched" in the KJV and always had to do with the Jewish leaders watching the Messiah to see if he would screw up and break a commandment or speak blasphemy or something.

The only exception is Acts 9:24 where some men "watched" for Paul so they could lay hands on him and kill him.

So, I'm wondering, how does this word fit into Galatians 4:10? What exactly were they doing?

Well, paratereo usually has the meaning of "keep close observation". But it can also mean to "lie in wait for". The roots are para (beside) and tereo (to observe, to guard, to wait). However, I don't think the word itself has any particular negative or positive connotation in it. The particular connotation of "observing" has to be determined by the context of the passage.

Well, I wasn't saying that the word paratereo carried any specific connotation with it in and of itself. Sorry if I gave that impression. :) But certainly, in all contexts of scripture where it is used, it is used in a negative light.

The Strong's defines the word this way:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance said:
G3906

παρατηρέω

paratēreō

par-at-ay-reh'-o

From G3844 and G5083; to inspect alongside, that is, note insidiously or scrupulously: - observe, watch.

"Note insidiously"? That's sort of negative...

I'm hearing different interpretations of this passage. One that they were observing pagan calendar days and pagan practices since the immediate previous verses speak of when they did not know God. So the "weak and beggarly" elements Paul speaks of in this passage that they were returning to cannot be Torah commandments, since Torah commandments are what you call "Yahweh specific". You can't just be doing something like keeping Passover and not know who Yahweh is. So the Galatians, being former pagans, were so confused by the "works of law" group that was troubling them, that they returned to old pagan ways.

Then I was reading Walter Martin's book, The Kingdom of the Cults and he identifies the words used for "days and months and times and years" as the same ones used in the LXX in Numbers chapters 28 and 29, which speaks of various Torah ordinances. So I looked this up off of a Greek Septuagint translation online and have concluded that he was correct as far as what he calls "comparative textual analysis". So Galatians 4:10 may or may not be referring to Torah ordinances.

But I was like, "O.K. now, Paul must be a liar because Psalm 111:7-8 reveals to me that all his commandments are sure and are done in truth and uprightness NOT weak and beggarly and bondage as is supposed from Galatians 4:9. Isaiah 42:21 tells me YHWH has magnified his Torah, and the Torah itself says the Torah is wisdom and good, and then Paul himself says in Romans 7:12 and Romans 7:14 that the Torah is just, holy, good and spiritual, so it can't have two natures."

So then I investigated a little more and heard the argument about paratereo. Maybe the Galatians were keeping a perverted version of Torah commandments based off of their teaching from the "works of law" group. Kind of like Isaiah 1:13-14 when Yahweh makes it clear he does not want perverted keeping of sabbaths, new moons, holy convocations etc...

So now I'm caught up in dilemma. I'm trying to seek the truth so maybe I could find it from a literal interpretation of the passage.

I was thinking, in light of all I've heard, that Paul could be giving a command here. To "watch" for days, months, times, and years (as given and interpreted by the "works of law" group). To make sure the keeping of it was done properly, not as others tell you to do it. I don't know how the Greek would indicate this, however, so that's what you're for to tell me whether or not that is wrong. :-D

Also, I was wondering that if the Galatians were merely just "keeping the law", tereo would have been used by itself without para, such as here:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Tereo. Used like this in 50+ places.

Back