Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

can anyone join a church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

shandy

This question may seem silly or juvenile but I assure you I am serious. I would like to join a church I think it would benefit my life. Since I have never been I am not sure of the 'rules'. I haven't exactly lead a Christian life until now but I want to. I didn't know if you could join if you have worked in the 'adult' industry or been a drug user before things like that. Can anyone join?

I didn't know if you could join if you have worked in the 'adult' industry or been a drug user before things like that.
As an addict/alcoholic who has been clean and sober for many years now I can assure you that our Lord Jesus will accept you just as you are. Wander into any church and most will make you feel welcome. Grab a bible and look up 2 Corinthians 5:17. After you look it up, if you don't understand it, someone on here will be glad to explain it to you. It was one of my favorite verses while I was trying to clean up my life. I want you to notice I didn't call myself an "ex-addict" even though I've been clean for many years now. We all have our struggles that our Lord helps us deal with. Whatever an individuals struggle is it's only "by the grace of God" that we deal with them. He has promised us "I will never leave you".

God bless you in your search, Westtexas

This question may seem silly or juvenile but I assure you I am serious. I would like to join a church I think it would benefit my life. Since I have never been I am not sure of the 'rules'. I haven't exactly lead a Christian life until now but I want to. I didn't know if you could join if you have worked in the 'adult' industry or been a drug user before things like that. Can anyone join?

We all have a sinful past, do not let come between you and Christ. I love the saying that "every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

No church is going to pressure you to officially join, and they will welcome you to worship with them, as long as it takes for you to accept Christ. When you become comfortable with your relationship with Christ, and find a congregation you want to be part of, they will help you understand the workings of their particular denomination. Just follow God's leadings and don't be intimidated.

God is good, all the time.

Each denomination has their own set of rules on how to join, but it all comes down to your beliefs and if they fit with the church you attend. If you are just entering into Christianity I would recommend finding a non-denominational church or the like and just start attending. If you feel the Lord is leading you toward becoming a member then by all means go for it.

Additionally, as you grow in your faith you may find yourself searching for ways to get involved and studying more about specific doctrines. At that time it is good to connect with a small group or bible study.

Luke 8

8 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3 Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

forgiven+olsen.jpg

Jesus thought Mary Magdalene was pretty cool and he had to chase 7 demons out of her.

Shady,

Most church's I have been to, will normally allow people to join who have been "Saved", baptized and then join. Depending on the Church and what they follow will dictate your answer.

I go to a Independent Baptist church, and all we require is a testomoney of salvation, and be baptized (by immersion) and then are allowed to join. We have people from all walks of life join our church. For example we have former drug addicts, prostitutes etc.

I hope this helps...:tongue

In case there is any confusion from what has been said, there is a difference between simply attending a church and joining a church. If you desire to know Christ and his love and forgiveness, or even just wish to know more, then there should be no issue in attending any church or trying out various churches.

But I'm quite certain that to "join" a church, by which it is usually meant that one wants to become an actual member, one must be a Christian. In the meantime, we're here to help with questions and learning or simply for fellowship.

If we had to be perfect or leading a Christian life before ever going to church, churches wouldn't exist. Jesus said he came to call the sinners and not the righteous, that it is the sick who need a doctor, not those who are well:

Mat 9:9 As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
Mat 9:10 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples.
Mat 9:11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
Mat 9:12 But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
Mat 9:13 Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." (ESV)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back